Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 22:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

740 Q 50 V 40 and a few thoughts...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

740 Q 50 V 40 and a few thoughts... [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 09:23
I gave my GMAT today.Tired but happy.. :)

Q50,V40....740..

Will give a debrief shortly....

Last edited by suithink on 16 Aug 2007, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 11:49
awesome score! congrats!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 12:22
Great score! Looking forward to your debrief and history!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 19:09
Great job. Congrats.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 19:15
great score...hope you debrief soon..

whats going on here in gmatclub...my ears are now buzzing with 700's ..hearing it too often..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 23:24
ashkrs wrote:
great score...hope you debrief soon..

whats going on here in gmatclub...my ears are now buzzing with 700's ..hearing it too often..

Ditto.... August charm perhaps! :P

FP
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2007, 04:40
I have been kinda of busy...after neglecting all my work for last two weeks...
...First things first...This forum is one of the best ones ..as quality minds wonder here.
Thank all ...previous and present members for their insights...

I would like to share two aspects which as per me are the 'key determinants' in doing well in GMAT.
What to study + How to Study...

* GMAT is a special world.During the course of preparation I understood that GMAT qs are peculiar ones.Remember they have been tested statistically for their difficulty level.They are designed to test 'fundas'-difficult qs tests fundas but might require a bit of 'lateral thinking'.As lateral thinking is not common ...it becomes 'a difficult Q'.

The most difficult Q in GMAT might look impossible for a hard core GMAT buster ...but invariably involves only a slight twist...
BottomLine...Basics need to strong ..extra strong..
Quant:
I learned Quant by : Completing OG 11,OG 10...As I am an engineer ...quant is strong point for me.But as a mentioned above GMAT is a statistically tested bunch of Qs..so I needed to learn 'lateral thinking'...Super easy Qs,moderate Qs I just solved and moved on...Medium-Difficult Qs in OG ..I tried to 'figure out' how GMAT is making it difficult.
The real learning came from doing GMAT Preps Qs in this forum and **another** forum ...When in doubt I always went back to basics...google for a good site...which neatly explains the concept.I noted as most of the folks here in PS I wasn't making much hurried choices --but in DS I was making 'hurried choices'-
I came across the best principle (as per me) for DS---Be 100% sure what the q is asking and how to solve that Q ( maybe what all info is needed) then start looking at the options..
To improve my ‘lateral thinking ability’ in Quant –I solved almost all GMATPrep Qs,Qs from Sets …this strategy of ‘getting basic concepts –embedded in my mind + ‘lateral thinking gave me ‘good confidence’.
I did all these practice b4 doing GMATprep Test bcoz for me I needed to get into the ‘lateral thinking’ mode …and there wasn’t any large number of resources of Qs which I trusted.

Verbal: SC initially was ‘bit of headache’ till I got Manhattan SC book.Also visit Manhattan website you will get a free ebook –this two will help you in understanding the basics.I completed OG 11,OG10 a couple of times.Learning SC was a continous process .
I think you need to patient with yourselves if you want to ‘really understand’ what GMAT wants.In SC my overall process was somewhat like this ---Covered Manhattan Guides + 1/2 Good GMATish websites To understand the basics…
(An aside: When I started …I was not even very clear what was a ‘noun’..!)---Did OG 11, ---Started OG 11,without timing the Qs---once I reached a comfortable level ---I started timing it…Which led to fact that I needed an ‘approach’ to complete SC….
After doing OG 10---a couple of times ..I knew the types of errors tested by GMAT…So my final approach was : Read the sentence carefully ---Try to understand the meaning of sentence---Locate the SV ---Locate any errors ---(All these in relaxed manner only ).If I could locate the errors I removed Answers Choices having those errors.If I wasn’t sure I used POE ..remember the errors might become clear also when we go thru the choices..So basically it is a iterative process of elimination which I think works well atleast for those of us –who are non-native speakers ….
But SC is ‘surprisingly’ one section where you can improve ur Scores from where u have started.In SC in difficult Qs GMAT again uses ‘lateral thinking’ –Grammar + Logical Meaning is tested i.e remember difficult Qs are statistically proved difficult…in GMATLAnd…and doesn’t necessarily mean advanced Grammar concepts…Also I practiced GMATPrep SC Qs posted in forums…
CR: In started my GMAT Prep last year Aug ..and due to lack of time good ended in Dec06….During this time I had completed Powerscore’s CR guide--.Please note this guide is a ‘dangerous guide’ it took two month’s of mine ---but CR become ‘real easy ‘ for me after this .A word of caution just bcoz I have mentioned don’t lay ur hands on this book..since you just can’t rush thru this book and in hindsight maynot be reqd for GMAT in real sense.Here OG 11,10 and LSAT papers ( latest ones ) I used for practice.
RC: OG 11,OG10,LSAT Papers are good sources.Also OG 11 explanations are the best way to learn to the strategy of answering RC Qs.

Also I would advise stop being in ‘learning mode ’ atleast 10 days b4 G-day.I keep practice Gprep –if possible 4-6 times …workout timing + approach during this time..
BTW …GPrep …740 ( Q51, V 36 ),G Prep 740 (Q50, V 40 )
Once again thank to all….and all the best.. :shock: :shock: :P
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2007, 09:29
congrats again suithink!
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 07:58
congratulations with the great score!
...and debrief! :)

Good luck with applications!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 18:14
Congratulations!

Which sets are you referring to for your quant preparation?

Thanks
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2007, 19:52
The SETs 1-31 supposedly GMAT JJs
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2007, 20:49
suithink wrote:

That still doesnt make much sense. Can you elaborate on these sets?

Sorry... Should have congratulated first...
Manager
Manager

Reg Answers [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2007, 23:30
ioiio wrote:
suithink wrote:

That still doesnt make much sense. Can you elaborate on these sets?

Sorry... Should have congratulated first...

...For the benefit of all those ...(As this is not a copyright violation I think for the benefit of others..)

P.S: Answers maynot be correct in some cases
Attachments

set21-31.zip [2.18 MiB]
Downloaded 136 times

To download please login or register as a user

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2007, 05:21
There u go. Thanks man. A little bit of spoon-feeding helps!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 09:50
Good job
  [#permalink] 27 Aug 2007, 09:50