Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [1]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools:Cornell University - The Johnson School
Send PM
Re: 740:Q48:V44 - considering retaking the GMAT tomorrow AM [#permalink]
Hi Powerka,

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the exam. You did well so congrats on that. Is taking the exam and possibly scoring higher really that important? Once you hit a certain mark (700) adcom focuses on other parts of the application. Plus, your 740 is higher than the averages at all the top schools. Finally, how in the world are you able to take the test again before the mandatory 31 days have elapsed?

All the best,
Franklin
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Franklin, thanks for saving me time. I did not know about the minimum days requirement. I had read that GMAC changes the question pool every month, so I thought that one could retake the GMAT the month after taking it, regardless of the number of days between tests.

Guess I'm stuck with 740.

I feel like cursing. This is so frustrating. I feel I have wasted three months; I was on a Q49 level past July, before taking all the gmatclub challenges.

Retaking the GMAT tomorrow made sense, as it would have only cost me $ and very little time. Retaking it in a month is not possible as I will be traveling heavily during November. And retaking it afterwards would require spending another 2-4 weeks on drilling, to recover lost pace; I think I can invest my time more productively on other activities.

So 740 it is.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Walker.

I believe a higher score would not help me to get into one of the schools of my choice. My dissatisfaction stems from unfulfilled expectations; its mostly a matter of ego. After investing so much time and effort, knowing that I performed as bad as I could really bothers me.

C'est la vie

Cheers
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools:Cornell University - The Johnson School
Send PM
powerka wrote:
Franklin, thanks for saving me time. I did not know about the minimum days requirement. I had read that GMAC changes the question pool every month, so I thought that one could retake the GMAT the month after taking it, regardless of the number of days between tests.

Guess I'm stuck with 740.

I feel like cursing. This is so frustrating. I feel I have wasted three months; I was on a Q49 level past July, before taking all the gmatclub challenges.

Retaking the GMAT tomorrow made sense, as it would have only cost me $ and very little time. Retaking it in a month is not possible as I will be traveling heavily during November. And retaking it afterwards would require spending another 2-4 weeks on drilling, to recover lost pace; I think I can invest my time more productively on other activities.

So 740 it is.

Honestly, I really think your score is great especially for schools such as INSEAD and IMD. When I visited INSEAD I was told that adcom is happy with the score if both parts are above the 75% but that threshold isn't set in stone. After the threshold is reached adcom focuses on other parts of the application. I seriously wouldn't sweat it.

You haven't wasted three months because you got a score that is in the range of all three of your target schools. You are also above the mean and median for all three.

I know you are venting but just let it go. Use that energy toward your apps! When are you submitting your app to INSEAD?

Good luck!

Franklin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Great score powerka.

740 is a great score. I get it when you say that you could have done much better/deserve much more but as walker says, its just a piece of the puzzle. Use the pent up anger/frustration/energy in your apps and i am sure you will do a neat job.

Cheers!

powerka wrote:
Thanks Walker.

I believe a higher score would not help me to get into one of the schools of my choice. My dissatisfaction stems from unfulfilled expectations; its mostly a matter of ego. After investing so much time and effort, knowing that I performed as bad as I could really bothers me.

C'est la vie

Cheers

Originally posted by snipertrader on 01 Nov 2009, 19:34.
Last edited by snipertrader on 02 Nov 2009, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
powerka wrote:
...My dissatisfaction stems from unfulfilled expectations; its mostly a matter of ego. After investing so much time and effort, knowing that I performed as bad as I could really bothers me.

Yeah, I know. But think about your package (essays+resume+recommendations + GMAT + GPA +.....), what is the weakest point? At least, you can say yourself: "Let's think about retaking GMAT when I finish with all other stuff".

Good luck with application!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MC, Entrepreneurship, GM
Schools:Tuck class of 2012
 Q50  V42
WE 1: 2 years market development (public)
WE 2: 5 years corporate finance (private)
Send PM
Powerka,

I understand your feeling but if I were you I would not retake. This is taking the unnecessary risk to score lower. Noone knows what can happen on the second test day or what can be your condition but if you score below 740 on this second try adcoms may question seriously your capacity of judgement, and you will have to explain them. Don't create such an uncomfortable situation, it would weight on your overall app.
As you already know 740 is good enough for any top school and scoring like 770 would not give you any critical bonus. Focus on the application package (essays, transcripts, recos...) for now and if you really want to retake the GMAT, do it after you send all your apps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q50  V40
Send PM
powerka,
First of all Congratulations for such a good score.
Even i did not get a spectacular result commensurate with the prep efforts. I got 740 but then i am still satisified with the score as its above the median for any college. Getting obsessed with gmat score will reflect poorly on u if college - adcom comes to know abt this.
See, managers today are expected to be practical and situation aware.
You will be wasting your time and money just for 20-30 points which may not carry that much weight.
Being obsessed with certain things is certainly fine but gmat score is surely not the one amongst them. Your score is very good and start preparing your applications.

All the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2409 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Congratulations on your 740! You've got a gr8 Quant/Verbal combinations..
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Powerka - fantastic job.

Yes, there is a 31 day cool-off period :)

P.S. Everyone thinks they can do better when they walk out of the test center (except the 50 guys who scored 800). However, not everyone improves.
Would highly recommend to stay put and not aim for a higher score - unless you are not applying this year of course and have free time on your hands.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks guys. I'll chip in with a proper debrief in a few weeks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 660  Q46  V35 GMAT 3: 700  Q49  V36
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Send PM
Congratulations with the score!!! I am sure many of us are jealous of the score you got... :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
shadowsjc,

My post is almost a week old. I thought about retaking the GMAT last Monday, and last Monday only, without further preparation. But Monday was only six days after taking the GMAT; I did not know about the 31 days requirement, so it was all wishful thinking.

Going from 740 to 770 by investing only one and a half days was worth the shot. Or could have been worth the shot. That's what I was debating when I made the post.

Thanks to all for your feedback

I'm now enjoying a well earned vacation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
it's a great and my dream score ! so, i would say just party and good luck with your apps. !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
First off, congrates on the fabulous score.

thanks for the gmat tests , stats, they are very useful to compare one's score !

good luck to your apps.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37298 posts