Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

740+ Study diary

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 280

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 07:43
@kapac: You name it! I tried to understand the logic behind every questions I solved (correct/guessed/wrong), but sometime the OG12 just was written in an ambiguous manner. Do I understand you right that, in your eyes, it's better to first re-do the SC problems from OG12 (when needed a couple of time) and then move to other resources?
Which other resources have you used?

@hellscream: I don't know how it was with all of you, but in fact now, that I've almost completed one time the entire MGMAT SC I have mixed feelings. It's just the fact that there are many SC topics which I understand, but just can't memorize resp. just don't see their pattern when solving the questions under the 60 sec time limit. I think I grasped above 90% of the theory in the book and am looking for the best way of developing my SC skills. I

I guess, today I would do fewer mistakes on SC in Verbal, but am still not perfect. At first, I planned to re-read the entire SC book, but currently more and more get the feeling that it would be better to re-read just my notes(about 20 pages) and then just do more SC problems, because only this training allows you to get familiar with a particular problem within this small time frame. How did you improve SC?
a) more theory?
b) more practice?

It's then another question which material to use until my second time with the OG12/error log. I should buy some practice questions, but which? OG13 (if it has some new SC practice problems), Aristotle SC Grail, SC1000, Manhattan Review SC. To be honest, I'm quite unsure about this.

Thank you ver much for your help!

Regards,

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 11:01
Hi guys,

It seems - I should find the approach that works for me. What I can conclude is - it's all about the questions, not that much about the theoretical foundation. After a certain level, it all comes down to practicing. I'll try both things - work on the OG12 questions, which I've put wrong, and also look for new SC question sources. I'll be thankful, if you share your experience. If 1000SC is free than I can't loose anything. It's jsut the thing that I want to stick mostly to questions, which accurately represent the ones, I'll face at the exam. They should better be hard than easy ones. Nothing more ;)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 00:30
Out of the topic question: Which exact date will you take the test? I'm on 2nd of June =). Maybe we are on the same boat....

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 00:37
hellscream wrote:
Out of the topic question: Which exact date will you take the test? I'm on 2nd of June =). Maybe we are on the same boat....

Well, I started with the idea of sitting for the exam in the end of May (let's say 28). That's my goal. But if I see that time is not enough, I'll move it to June, no matter I'll face the new section (I've some forthcoming management consulting interviews and the integrated reasoning section will be a very good preparation for a certain type of tests they give there (as McKinsey PST)).

But we're definitely in one and the same boat ;) Thanks for the 1000SC link. I'll make use of it.

Regards,

Manager
Manager

Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 00:51
How about other section of verbal? CR and RC?
The June test is my first time doing GMAT so score is not so much important... anyway, I hope for 700+... :D

Intern
Intern
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 05:24
I find myself a little slow in CR. When I focus on timing more, I find my accuracy even more worse. But, I have just started working on CR. So do I have to focus on getting the answers/concepts right originally before focusing on speed or do I have to focus on timing first?
Intern
Intern

Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 07:17
hellscream wrote:
ShreeCS wrote:
I find myself a little slow in CR. When I focus on timing more, I find my accuracy even more worse. But, I have just started working on CR. So do I have to focus on getting the answers/concepts right originally before focusing on speed or do I have to focus on timing first?

Which books do you use for CR?
Accuracy is the most important thing. You should focus on the concepts and answers first. There is no point in rushing doing the questions and in the end you understand or gain nothing. With practice, you will be familiar with the pattern, leading to higher speed while maintaining the accuracy.
Review your mistakes, weaknesses as well as your strengths regularly.

After doing MGMAT strategy guide, jumped onto OG12.
Manager
Manager

Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 07:22
Why don't you take a look at CR bible? I think it complements MGMAT CR in a good way.

Intern
Intern

Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 07:27
hellscream wrote:
Why don't you take a look at CR bible? I think it complements MGMAT CR in a good way.

http://www.4shared.com/get/32LEJnpx/GMAT_CR_Bible.html This is the one?
Manager
Manager

Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 07:38
Yes, it is.... It gives more details about the type of questions you can expect on the real GMAT in a very clear way.

Intern
Intern

Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 07:57
hellscream wrote:
Yes, it is.... It gives more details about the type of questions you can expect on the real GMAT in a very clear way.

Thanks a bunch! You suggest going through this before moving onto OG12 problems?
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 23:18
OK guys! Here I am again!

Though with a small delay, I wanted to post an update message. I've finished MGMAT SC and almost MGMAT Number Properties (book reviews to follow). Unfortunately, I had to take a break in order to prepare myself for a GMAT-type management consulting job application test. But, to be honest, I was quite happy with my performance at it and could see a good improvement in my capabilities. Therefore I'm very motivated to now finish my GMAT preparation and sit for the test. It's not going to happen till the test switch.

Stay tuned!

Regards,

Last edited by bgpower on 18 Oct 2012, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 10:27
Hi :)

as everything has again been postponed I finally booked my test date - 28 November 2012. So I have approx. 1,5 months to finish everything with GMAT. The good thing is I will be able to study 24/7 as I've taken these days off at work. Now - I'm ready with Sentence Correction and Number Properties, but still have to finish all remaining MGMAT 4th Edition Guides, as well as the new Integrated Reasoning Guide, which makes a total of 7 Guides. I aim to finish the guides till the 15th of November and then have approx. 2 weeks for error log, and CAT tests.

Do you think this is a reasonable and realisitc idea and how would you arrange the 7 guides?

Thanks for your help!

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 23:12
@mailgrace: It's difficult to say how you should approach the GMAT, but I would definitely recommend starting with one of the GMAT Tests and then relying on Manhattan GMAT. At least I have avery positive experience with them. In addition, have an error log (best with GMAT Toolkit App) and develope a plan. If you have any additional questions, feel free to share them with me via private message. Please, open another thread and place your question there as this i sjust a private diary of mine where you all can follow my preparation :) I guess it would be just better for you as well, as your questions will be more visible! Thanks for the understanding.

So guys,

do you think that the test date - 28 November 2012 is feasible? I still have much to do, but could dedicate a lot of time. I just am going to have (finally) my consulting interviews afterwards and hope to boost maths and integrated reasoning with my GMAT preparation. Additionally, I will need the GMAT next wear, when I plan to apply for business schools.
So I have approx. 1,5 months to finish everything with GMAT. The good thing is I will be able to study 24/7 as I've taken these days off at work. Now - I'm ready with Sentence Correction and Number Properties, but still have to finish all remaining MGMAT 4th Edition Guides, as well as the new Integrated Reasoning Guide, which makes a total of 7 Guides. I aim to finish the guides till the 15th of November and then have approx. 2 weeks for my error log and CAT tests.

Do you think this is a reasonable and realisitc idea and how would you prioritize the 7 guides?

Thanks!

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 13:45
Hi guys,

Though replies have been rare I again need your advice and will be grateful to hear some expert opinions.

Now the starting point is my GMAT Prep 1 result of 610 (v34, q41) back in February. Because of the fact that I want to sit for the GMAT on November 28 or December 5, I have to intensify my preparation. Already completed are MGMAT Sentence Correction, Number Properties and Geometry. I'm currently working on MGMAT Fractions and hope to finish it by Wednesday.

The question is:

1. Having in mind that I have to complete Powerscore CR, MGMAT Reading Comprehension, MGMAT Word translations, MGMAT VIC and MGMAT Integrated Reasoning, do you think this is doable until November 15? (Theory and OG problems) I currently work 24/7 for the GMAT.

2. I also have the MGMAT Advanced Math - Can this book really boost my Q score or should I rather concentrate on GmatClub Q tests?

3. Is it a good idea to leave approx. 2 weeks (between November 15 and November 28) to just redo all wrong/guessed/overtimed OG questions? Also CAT tests.

4. Is my current OG hit rate of 69% in Quant and 76% in Verbal respectable based on GMAT Toolkit info (first attempt of above mentioned books)

5. Where can one get some 700+ verbal questions?

Thanks for the opinion guys! Kudos guaranteed!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 41

Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 21:28
ShreeCS wrote:
hellscream wrote:

http://www.4shared.com/get/32LEJnpx/GMAT_CR_Bible.html This is the one?

Dude, You are violating some copyright issues here. No illegal / torrent sharing here. Remove it off the board before someone can come behind you :)
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 02:33
Thanks, igloo!

Could you write a short opinion on the questions I stated above? Of couse, all other tips are welcome!

Thanks very much in advance!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 04:13
Hi guys,

Please I need clarification on MGMAT. Does the MGMAT SC come with online questions for all quant and verbal? I intend to buy the 5 set quant "USED" and the SC "NEW" - will I be able to access the quant questions using the code that comes with the SC.

Thank you
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 03:14
igloo wrote:
1. Good You work for GMAT round the clock without other commitments. Out of curiosity, did you quit your job for GMAT or You are just fresh out of college and preparing for GMAT now so that you can focus on Work experience for few years and apply later taking advantage of GMAT Score's 5 year validity ?
Whatever is the answer, You have complete time for GMAT and that sounds great ! Do not overkill preparing for GMAT all day long ! That leads to pretty ineffective way of study. Perhaps study 2 hours early in morning , 2 hours in afternoon and 2 hours in the evening. That would assure you you have digested what ever you have read in complete ! (Perhaps thats why we eat at three different times in a day. Imagine what would happen if we have been continously throughout the day ;)) Also dont extent a study schedule beyond 2-3 hours, so study in chunks of 2 hours, take a break, socialize , go with your routine, again study for 2 hours, take a break , socialize or go eith your routine and come back for final 2 hours of study for the day.

With 5-6 hours of study time put in each day,

It's rather the second! My primary career goal is to find a job in consulting this autumn/winter (already have a scheduled interview). There I'll have to complete some analytical tests (sometimes pretty similar to GMAT so I'm sitting for the GMAT with a longer perspective - 1. Get the job and 2. Being able to start an MBA in let's say 2014. Currently, I've taken a few days off from my current job.

igloo wrote:
Prepare a schedule
- where you focus on powerscore CR theory for first 2-3 hours and perhaps complete a lesson or two along with end of the chapter problems.
- Work on related OG problems and make learnings from them. make sure you work untimed.
- Continue with rest of OG problems, and now make a note with all the learnings from these problems.
It is pretty much doable but dont fret over IR, rather dedicate a day or two for IR and not more. Distribute the other days between Powerscore, Mgmat word, Mgmat VIC and Mgmat RC.

Perfect! I'll try to finish all preparation books in the remaining 2 weeks. As I am doing the MGMAT books I also complete all of the OG12, QG2 and VG2 problems. So in the end, I would have a my error log (which I would re-do 1-2 times) and the GC Tests for boosting 700+ Quant and Verbal. Once I've finished all books I'll definitely do a CAT (until now I've just done the GmatPrep 1, and will most probably complete GmatPrep 2 at this stage. All 6 MGMAT will be for the days before the exam).

Now regarding IR and AWA - are two days really enough? I'm a bit worried about AWA and IR is the section, which has mostly in common with the consulting tests that I'm about to do in December. So I should be prepared, but still am not sure if 1 day is enough?

igloo wrote:
2. First get all basics from MGmat Quant set and once you start taking Mocks, see where you stand. If you stand at atleast 44 - 46 on Quant, It is suggested to go for advanced stuff. Gmat club tests are perhaps better and provide you with alternate approaches from Bunuel and many other eminent C members. Mgmat advanced might be good, but at this stage I would invest time in doing advanced problems and learning from them rather than learnigng advanced strategies and practsing problems from this hefty book. But the most important concern is , make sure you dont leave any gaps in conceptual knowledge before you attempt this level , so finish off your quant books and assess your performance through Mock CATs.

Thanks! I'll really give my best to be at Q44-Q46 level at the GMATPrep 2 exam, though at my first mock, which was back in March and was before I started all books I already had Q41. I should be able to do better now.

igloo wrote:
3. 2 weeks buffer time sounds good to work on Mocks and on your OG error Log.

Superb, then I'll really give my best to finish until the 17th of November and have about 10 days until the 28th of November. If this turns out to be impossible, I'll book the 5th of December as my exam date.

igloo wrote:
4. It should be true if the tool kit says so. i dont have a iphone(but own a outdated blackberry given by my company), so consult bb, walker or other concerned people on this.

My question rather had the idea to clarify if a 70-75% hit rate on the Quant questions, as well as 70% on SC from OG12, QG2 and VG2 is OK? So I wanted to know if you guys score similarly when you do all those questions for the first time?

igloo wrote:
5. Where can one get some 700+ verbal questions?

700 verbal questions ? you are kidding me ! if done with OG and if you are concetually strong in SC and CR then go with gmatprep verbal tags using the question directory feature in this forum. Do this after you are done with both Gmat Prep tests atleast once or twice.

More practice, use Gmatprep question pack 1.

Go with more and more official problems as far as verbal is concerned. I just got enlightened on the gmatprep question pack in one of my posts just a day back. Thanks to gurupreetsingh (a 710 on GMAT).

Sounds very interesting! What do you mean by GmatPrep Question pack 1? Do you mean the questions from the books or are there any new GmatPrep questions? I heard that when you complete both free CAT tests from GmatPrep, you should have most probably seen all questions the software has?

Thanks very much igloo for your help! It's very much appreciated!

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 14:23
A short update from my side:

GMAT Date finally booked: December 11th 2012

In the meantime I completed all MGMAT Quant books and am currently 1/3 through with the Powerscore CR Bible. When I finish this, I will have to just have a look at MGMAT RC and MGMAT Integrated Reasoning.

So far my overall hit rate on Quant, based on OG12 questions, has been 75% (80% PS an 72% DS). I feel once I am ready with the above mentioned three books (hopefully by the end of this week), I will have to significantly improve on those two scores. Regarding Verbal in SC I am achieving somewhere around 75% as well, and will have to do some more drills in the last weeks.

I am currently thinking about my finish line strategy - I will try to once more re-do all wrong/guessed/overtimed OG12 questions. Then for Quant I will furthermore try to take the maximum out of all GMAT Club Tests. Regarding Verbal I am still on the lookout for some 700+ questions, but if I do not succeed in finding something, I will just rely on OG, GMATClub and GMATPrep and MGMAT CAT's.

At the end of this week when I have finally completed all sections, I will complete my second CAT and will hope to see a significant improvement - back in March I scored 610 (Q41, V34) without any preparation.

Would appreciate if you could share your opinion on this "plan". Kudos are guaranteed!

Thanks!

Re: 740+ Study strategy   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2012, 14:23