Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750 (49Q, 44V, 6.0 AWA)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

750 (49Q, 44V, 6.0 AWA) [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 12:39
I took the GMAT back in March, and I was a R1 applicant. I have pretty much decided on UCLA, but I'm still waiting on one more school. I thought I'd share my experience for you who are studying right now. This was my second go-around with the test. My first effort, which I did on Valentine's Day, was a 690. Most people would be ecstatic with a 690, but I really felt like I had an off day with the quantitative section, so I felt that a re-test would bump me up past 700. Had I scored a 700 the first time instead of a 690, I would have not done it again. But there's something about breaking the 700 barrier that made me want to test again. My undergrad GPA was okay but not great (3.32) and my work experience is not very business-related, so I felt that I really needed an awesome GMAT to balance this.

One thing I did differently the second time around was to not stress out. My whole life, I had never really cared too much about taking standardized tests (SAT, SAT II, AP exams), and I had always done fine. So now I was stressing out for the first time in my life. So for my second exam, I studied very little, only doing two practice exams (and skipping the AWA section each time). My first test took place in the afternoon (3 pm), and I had made the mistake of never doing a practice test at that time of the day. So for my second test (scheduled for noon), I did a practice test the day before starting at noon as well. This really helped out in terms of stamina and awareness.

While I was taking the test the second time, I did not feel like I was doing great. There were a lot of math problems where I was able to narrow it down to two choices, so I kinda had to guess from there. And after I finished the quantitative section, they sat the test taker from hell right next to me (on my left). This guy was sick, so he was coughing and sniffling the whole time. To add to that, he was also tapping his hand on the desk the whole time, and stomping his feet. I put on the earmuffs to drown out the noise, but it only helped a little bit. Then he started leaning against the cubicle wall that the two of us shared, and he must have gotten up every 10 minutes or so. He was really driving me crazy, and I couldn't concentrate on the test.

So the whole time I'm taking the test pissed off and wanting to get a refund. I even flipped the guy off behind the cubicle wall, hoping that the people watching on the monitors would notice and hopefully tell the guy to shut up. So I kinda half-assed my way through the rest of the test.

One thing worth mentioning is that I saw a reading comprehension passage and questions that were EXACTLY the same as one I had done with the PP software. EXACTLY. I didn't even have to read through the answers. I remember that I had gotten them all right on the practice exams, so I just picked out those same answers on the real test.

So at the end of the test, I was just hoping for a 700, when I saw my score pop up. At first I wasn't sure what was going on. All I could see was the 99th percentile. So I stared at the screen for about 30 seconds before it all sunk in. I then quietly pumped my fist and ran out of the room, just in case my score was an error. The woman handed me my unofficial score printout, and complimented me on a job well done. I had to wait until I got into my car to scream.

I am happy to offer any suggestions to anyone who wants them.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 13:00
Well Anderson2007, 690 is a very good score. If I were you on the test day, I would tell the guy next to me to "knock that sh!t OFF"!!! Yeah, I hate those people. Why would they take the GMAT anyway?

Good luck on your app
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 13:06
He could have been taking some other test, since it was a test center. Maybe a GRE or TOEFL or something.

The 690 was a good score, but my quant percentile was only 71 and I wanted at least 80.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2005, 11:15
Great freakin score man!!!!! I will be taking the GMAT less than a month from now :shock: I only hope that I can achieve a score as good as yours! I too come from a non-business background (science actually) and my GPA is very similar to yours, I just hope that after a month I can say the same about my GMAT score :-D All the best at UCLA dude, it's an amazing school (my first choice...depending on my GMAT score)

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2005, 13:47
Great show Anderson....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2005, 19:44
Congratulations Anderson! 750 is an awesome score. Does the real GMAT usually give the same questions as questions from Powerprep?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 16:57
kdhong wrote:
Congratulations Anderson! 750 is an awesome score. Does the real GMAT usually give the same questions as questions from Powerprep?

Thanks for all of the nice messages. I think getting a repeat question from the PP software was a freak coincidence. Don't count on being lucky like I was.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2005, 02:53
Hi Anderson
750 is an awesome score. Good job!!!!!!!!! you lucky man.........
Anderson It would be great if you could tell me whether you had datainterpretation/graphs/stats questions (if any)?

How many probability questions?

And how many RC in all (3 or 4)?
Is the standard of CR tougher than that of Kaplan?
Are OG questions seen in the real GMAT or the same pattern......
Also I Would like to know as to how many school codes can we provide GMAT with at the end of the exam.....

I think I have asked a lot of questions...
I am really happy for you and your score. :)
You have done a great job 750 is too good.... enjoiiiiiiii and have fun now.........
Thanks,
Vijo.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2005, 06:14
awwwwwwwwwesome score.. congratulations and good luck with your apps
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2005, 14:11
Vijo wrote:
Hi Anderson
750 is an awesome score. Good job!!!!!!!!! you lucky man.........
Anderson It would be great if you could tell me whether you had datainterpretation/graphs/stats questions (if any)?

How many probability questions?

And how many RC in all (3 or 4)?
Is the standard of CR tougher than that of Kaplan?
Are OG questions seen in the real GMAT or the same pattern......
Also I Would like to know as to how many school codes can we provide GMAT with at the end of the exam.....

I think I have asked a lot of questions...
I am really happy for you and your score. :)
You have done a great job 750 is too good.... enjoiiiiiiii and have fun now.........
Thanks,
Vijo.

I took the test in March, so it's been almost a year and I really don't remember any specific details. I know that I didn't have any permutation or combination questions, but I did have a few probability questions. I had 3 RC sections if I remember correctly. I never used the OG so I can't answer any questions about it. You can put down 5 school codes when you take the exam.

Good luck!
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2005, 23:09
Congratulations Anderson for your wonderful GMAT score!!!!

Goodluck to Anderson for Anderson's journy to Anderson..................

MA
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 10:10
Thanks Anderson for the information...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2005, 09:53
Great anderson
U gmat itself awe some .
Ur AWA is really terrific . CD u tell what books did u foolow for AWA

Good luck with ur application process
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2005, 16:38
For the AWA, I think I used the template that was outlined in the Kaplan book. I didn't really spend much time worrying about that part of the tests, since they said it doesn't really count. But I figured that if I was going to have to get a score, it might as well be a good one!

I do not consider myself to be a good writer. I just understood how the test worked and wrote my essays accordingly. I think I maybe did three practice essays before the actual test. You don't want to stress over them, but since they're the very first part of the GMAT, you want to do well enough that you're not thinking about it when you're doing the more important sections later.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 22:45
Awesome result! Heartiest congratulations......
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 13:47
hey...750 is an awsome score...well done

i too had couple of "freaks" in my GMAT...i can almost swear that i got not one by two questions which i had seen before...both CR though....

And are you in UCLA rigth now?...i plan to apply in fall this year and was just wondering if you could evaluate my profile...maybe i'll can send it to you seperately....

cheers!
  [#permalink] 28 Apr 2005, 13:47