Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750 GMAT (50Q, 41V)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Georgetown '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

750 GMAT (50Q, 41V) [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 13:18
Hello everyone,
I was asked to post something about my GMAT experience in chat the other day and after thinking about it got bored at work so I decided to put something up. My intention is not to brag, but rather to relay a different outlook on test taking that might be beneficial to some people who are really stressed out right now.

the main point I would like to make is this: Standardized tests are hard because of pressure and time limits NOT because of the difficulty of the individual questions.

I took the GMAT on Halloween, 2007 after flipping through a book, I think it was Kaplan, and taking one of the provided practice tests from MBA.com to familiarize myself with the format and get some info on the AWA. I used the results of the practice test to focus my reading on the 2 or 3 chapters where my score was the weakest. For the other sections I relied on my general knowledge of math and reading comprehension/vocabulary. Studying was not the key to my score.

Looking at it realistically there are very few questions on the GMAT that are objectively hard, the math is generally freshman year of college or high school stuff, the Verbal is tricky but not overwhelming. Mistakes are made by inteligent well prepared people when they rush and get sloppy because they fear the clock. Because of the way the GMAT is scored this is accentuated. It is EXTREMELY important to relax as you take this test and make sure you get the first 10-15 questions as close to perfect as possible. As John Wooden said "be quick, but don't hury."

Wear comfortable clothes to take the test. I wore a hoodie and jeans. Wear the headphones in the testing center so you can avoid distractions. Take a day off work and relax. Do NOT study the day of the test. I know there's temptation to look over that one last thing, but don't. You won't remember it anyway. Play videogames, watch TV, read a book, go to the gym, whatever it is you do to chill out, do that.

While this test taking strategy admitedly won't work for everyone I've seen a lot of strategies put up here that definitely wouldn't work for me, and I think that my strategy of trying to stay as low stress as possible was a key to doing well on the test. Hopefully this helps someone be a little less stressed and improve their score.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: 750 GMAT (50Q, 41V) [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 13:37
Congrats on your score and thanks for sharing

be quick but dont hurry haha thats a great one.. think heard that in other languages too

however...
... I think it all depends of your background

eg if u r a native english speaker the chances r that u already had built well rounded grammar skills.
imagine urself taking the gmat in russian or chinese for example

also, if u r coming from an engineering background then math problems wont be too difficult
otherwise u need to study

if theres another gmat segmet to sing a song or to draw a picture it would be nearly impossible to get a perfect score because very few ppl would be that well rounded in everything

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 0

Re: 750 GMAT (50Q, 41V) [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 17:37
Great score. Congrats.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 750 GMAT (50Q, 41V) [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2008, 18:32
Hi All,

I need help and advise. How can I improve my score? I started my GMAT Prep some time back and I joined Kaplan class but my prep is not good at all. I have my GMAT TEST after one week and I am thinking to postpone it for some more time as I gave GMATPRP yesterday and I got just 620. I am so much frustrated.

Here are my Kaplan Scores;-
KAPLAN
CAT1 -660
CAT2 -620
CAT3-620
CAT4-600
CAT5-590-
CAT6-630
CAT7-650

Here are my princton scores:-
CAT1- 590
CAT2 -580
CAT3 -640

I am good in Quant but I am very bad in verbal. can you please tell me how can I improve my verbal score?
I have already given above test so I am running out of CATs. Can you please let me know ant other resource for GMAT TEST.

I read on this forum about "1000SC" and 1000CR". This is new for me. Can you please let me know what are these and where can I get them?

I will really appreciate your help.

Regards
VKG
Re: 750 GMAT (50Q, 41V)   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2008, 18:32