Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750 gmat for finance phd?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

750 gmat for finance phd? [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 21:50
I just took the gmat and got a 750 (49q, 44v). I have a 3.97 gpa for my undergraduate finance and accounting double major. I'm going into a MS in accounting program next year. I have credit for 2 semesters of calculus and one semester of statistics. Is it important to take 2 more semesters of calc/linear algebra or should I focus on taking additional statistics and econometrics? Also, am I competitive for a top tier school or should I aim a little lower? Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 629 [0], given: 3

Re: 750 gmat for finance phd? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 10:50
lisahk wrote:
I just took the gmat and got a 750 (49q, 44v). I have a 3.97 gpa for my undergraduate finance and accounting double major. I'm going into a MS in accounting program next year. I have credit for 2 semesters of calculus and one semester of statistics. Is it important to take 2 more semesters of calc/linear algebra or should I focus on taking additional statistics and econometrics? Also, am I competitive for a top tier school or should I aim a little lower? Thanks!

Great GMAT score and GPA. Given the little information here, it would be impossible to say whether or not you are competitive for a top tier program, but it looks good. Of course getting into the top 20 programs is no easy task, and even with a great profile, it is a real battle. What you should do is apply for several top programs in the top 20, several in the top 50, and a few "safer" schools outside of the top 50.

It is good that you are looking to beef up your math as well. I would recommend taking calc 3 and linear algebra over econometrics. I had the same question. Linear algebra is definitely valuable and most professors that I asked were in the opinion that calc 3 would be more valuable because you will be exposed to econometrics in the first year of your PhD program. If you're worried about being behind in econometrics, maybe do some self study of it.
Re: 750 gmat for finance phd?   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2011, 10:50