Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 08:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750- IT male, Project Lead..........

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Toastmasters, a couple of NGOs etc
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: HKUST, ISB
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V37
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

750- IT male, Project Lead.......... [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 11:35
Please evaluate my profiile.......

Personal details:

Indian Male, 29
Education
BS in Pharmacy from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India 2005. Was an Honor Student.

Work Expreience:

2005-2007: Software Programmer at XXXX (India's second largest IT company)
2007-2010: Senior Software Programmer/ Team lead at YYYY
2010-2011: Team/ Project Lead at ZZZZ (One of the fastest growing global IT majors)

Professional achievements:

Turned my current project around in terms of delivery and client satisfaction. Client ratings went up from 3.6 to 4.1 on a scale of 5.
As the lead of a Performance Enhancement module in my current project, I have overseen implementation of tools that saves the client around 40000 USD per annum.
Excelled in various critical roles in my previous organizations.
ALMI Level 1 and AAPA certified.

Extra curricular:

1. President at an international students' conference
2. Student delegate at International Biomedical Conference
3. Student delegate at Indian Pharmaceutical Congress, 2004.
3. Involved with Toastmasters' International
4. Involved with a couple of NGOs.
5. Amateur quizzer

GMAT:

750 (50 in QA and 41 in VA).

Post MBA goals:

Work with a major IT firm preferably in Business Development/ Strategic Consultancy, and then finally start my own firm.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: 750- IT male, Project Lead.......... [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 12:27
Expert's post
You are going to have more WE than the avearge applicant and should leverage this to your advantage in the applications. Not only that, but you have a nice career progression, with what appears to be regular promotions. The only risk I see is that you hail from a very deep applicant pool, being from India and working in IT, so make sure you weave your story as unique and speak specifically to how you made an impact and how you lead others (not listing attributes, but rather telling tales about your experience is the key). Continue to quantify your results in your career as you did briefly here in your profile. you should come across as mature, which is a good thing, since b-schools look for maturity, leadership , teamwork and innovation as four key pillars of a good b-school candidate. Be prepared for answering questions about how you went from studying Pharmacy to working in IT, and make sure you cast a compelling short and long term vision which hopefully will tie in what you have done so far to what you will do going forward, post-MBA.

You don't mention where you want to work. If it's in India--that's great, since b-schools are very interested in bringing in students whom they know can easily get jobs at the end. If your desire is to work in the US, make sure you have an H1B Visa. Many international applicants fail to address this issue and run the risk of being dinged based on risks around their ability to get a job at graduation within 90 days, a key metric for b-school rankings. your GMAT is nice and high, which will be attractive to schools looking to boost their GMAT average, but make sure you stand out in the crowd by thinking hard about how you are different than the next applicant with a simialr background.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Toastmasters, a couple of NGOs etc
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: HKUST, ISB
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V37
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 750- IT male, Project Lead.......... [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 21:51
Hi Bryant,

Going to the ISB has always been a dream, ever since I went to work in an org just opposite to the main portal of the ISB. Post-GMAT, however, this weird bravado has crept in that even a Big-Five is not impossible (at least an interview will do my ego a huge good), provided I weave my story right.

Here is a crossroad where I currently stand. My company has filed for a H1-B for me, and that will be ready by April-May 2012. Also, if I stay back at my current profile for another year, it will enhance my resume a bit on the business/ acquisition front. Also, I get to be a bit closer to the likes of the AVP of my business unit, so that might translate into a good LOR.

Again, I am on the verge of starting up a non-profit venture (I'll be a part-time executive in that org), and also, a for-profit venture might soon come calling. In this case I will have to forgo my current profile and corporate connections and will have to put everything on stake.

So, Bryant, do I wait one more year to get an edge on the Diversity field, or do I give my best shot with whatever is at my disposal right away. Asking this, because I am willing to wait one more year if that strengthens my resume by a few notches and gives me an outside chance of making it to one of the Big-Fives.

I ask you this because ultimately, as my long-term goal stands, I will be getting back to India, and serve here.

Please do advice.

Sorry for the rant,
Aritro
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: 750- IT male, Project Lead.......... [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 04:05
Expert's post
My advice would be to go ahead and apply this year, at least to several schools in your target. Why? Applications are down from the international pool and your profile is good. Many, many applicants from India have started up their own non-profit or for-profit company, so I don't see that adding significantly to your application's value (translation=it would sound just like thousands of other applicants). You have probably seen this in the blog posts even on this website. There's no reason why your experience, GMAT and goal would not resonate with a top school. Good news is, you are open to next year as well, so it sounds like you could either reapply or broaden your focus in and amongst the top 10 and still be happy.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews