Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 16:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750, now I am screwed. MBA gurus, please help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

750, now I am screwed. MBA gurus, please help! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2005, 01:02
So I should be happy; 750 is a good score it looks like, although I felt that I got more then a half wrong in quant. Final count was 45 in quant and 48 in verbal. I guess I don't know how these things are calculated, how can I get a higher percentile on the whole thing if I got such a bad score in quant, 45 is 77th percentile? Doesn't matter I guess, unless there was some computer mess-up and I actually got what I think I should've ( 650 or less).
Ok, but this is where I really need serious help, please.
My first problem is that my GPA SUCKS! Something like 2.8, I forget. Yes, I discovered drugs and girls and it was Berkeley and the raves and, well let's just say the first few years of school weren't all about studying. So question 1: with such a low GPA is any good school going to want ANYTHING to do with me?
2. If the GMAT does ever offset my low GPA, is my score good enough to do it? I heard that MBA schools put more emphasis on quant then verbal, and I feel like I could really do better on quant, a lot better. Should I retake? If I do a few hesitations: I might get a lower score. Also admissions officers might look at me funny. I've hear admissions officers say over and over that their pet peeve is people who over concentrate on the GMAT. They penalize people who do so. So if they see someone with a decent score try to retake the test, it may put them off a bit. But then again, I feel like I can really get a 760 or even 770, because I messed up on the math so bad.
Another big question. Should I apply this late in the game for 2006. I know my chances are slim (2.8) since I missed phase one and two. I hear some schools may reject but next year put re-applicants at the top of the list, others reject once and for all. Should I wait till 2007 to apply and in the meantime take classes somewhere to offset my gpa?
I also took classes in the Ukraine a while back after I got my degree, but it's hard to prove; since then the university went out of business (Ukraine....)
What do I DO???
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2005, 14:51
Where are you planning to apply?
How much work experience do you have?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2005, 15:05
I have plenty of good experience. I've worked full time since I was 19, so about 7 years. My latest position has been that of a high level manager at Wells Fargo.
And I would like to go to either UCLA, NYU, Columbia or possibly Cornell.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2005, 23:34
If you retake the GMAT after scoring a 750, Adcoms will see this as a lack of focus. No matter what the breakdown is, a 750 is strong for any Top 5.

Put the GMAT down, back away slowly and start on your essays and community work. The GMAT is just one of many components to your application - you've nailed it, now tackle the rest of it...
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2005, 08:52
At 750 you are so close to the ceiling of the test that there is little point in retaking it now. You need a compelling explanation why your undergrad grades are not indicative of how you will do in your MBA program.

Since the low GPA could be an issue for some schools, it makes sense to have a large portfolio.

I think applicants worry too much about the concept of a "one chance in a lifetime" application to schools in the top clusters. I have encountered a number of ultra elite MBA students and alumni who were not successful on their first attempt to gain admission.This concept of "one chance" developed in part because many students are serial weak applicants: they were weak applicants when they originally applied and they never really fix the deficiencies when they apply again.

It might be worthwhile to apply to a few schools this admissions season and then reapply to a full portfolio next year if you do not gain admission this year.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 14:14
Take some classes to offset the GPA and apply next year. Do NOT retake the GMAT under any circumstances!!!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 750, now I am screwed. MBA gurus, please help! [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 00:55
geneman wrote:
My first problem is that my GPA SUCKS! Something like 2.8, I forget. Yes, I discovered drugs and girls and it was Berkeley and the raves and, well let's just say the first few years of school weren't all about studying. So question 1: with such a low GPA is any good school going to want ANYTHING to do with me?

LOL, this is ME, except UCLA, 3.0, and LOTS OF RAVES untz untz untz :)
Re: 750, now I am screwed. MBA gurus, please help!   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2013, 00:55