Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 08:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.46
WE: General Management (Venture Capital)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [3] , given: 2

Reviews Badge
750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 18:37
This post received
KUDOS
I took the GMATS for the first time two weeks ago. I took the ManhattanGMAT course with Tom Rose and Mike Kim. The course was great, and MGMAT was my main (basically my only) source of study material and practice exams. 

I completed the exam on June 14th and received 750 - 98% overall (47V - 99%, 47Q - 78%), 5.5 writing. I gained about 5 points in my verbal score and 25 points in quant compared to the early practice exams (not only MGMATs). I took an online course beginning in January (with Tom Rose and Mike Kim), and the Live Online Advanced Workshop more recently. I worked through the MGMAT math books extensively, and that made all the difference. 

In the MGMAT course, Tom and Mike were able to thoroughly explain every question we faced. What I loved about MGMAT was that they taught us the actual concepts, in a simple, easy-to-digest manner. No tricks to "beat the exam". I am now much more capable of doing basic math in my head. I can do quick calculations and estimations with no calculator, and I've found that helpful in other area of life as well. The online format is great and easy to get used to. I really liked that I could ask question to one instructor via text and not hold up the rest of the class. I was definitely more willing to ask "stupid" questions, and this ensured I didn't miss anything.

The test went pretty well. I got a bit nervous and made some timing mistakes. I could have used an extra minute for my second essay, and mistakenly thought I had one quant question left when I actually had two. I took too long on the second to last one and ended up completely missing the last. I didn't even have time to put in a random guess. I think that is what made me miss the 80% percentile in quant. Rookie mistake. Verbal was fine, though a bit harder than MGMAT practice exams. I remember very clearly more questions where I was stuck on one of two choices, than I do with most MGMAT exams. This is especially true for the questions regarding the purpose of a passage. Usually I finish the verbal section with 15 minutes to spare, and this time I had only 3 or 4 minutes. 

Day of the exam I felt really well prepared. The questions I faced were extremely similar to the MGMAT practice exams. Much more so than the Knewton or Kaplan tests (both of which I tried once). My scores were even closer by MGMAT then by GMAT Prep, which is the official practice exam; however, I think this is partially because I was getting nervous the two days before my exam, when I took the GMAP Prep tests. My course ended in March, but I wasn't able to study from then until after May, due to work and finishing school. Access to all the online materials closes after three months, but I emailed MGMAT, and they extended it for free. I then spent the first two weeks of June in focused prep, every night. Ended up working for me, though I probably could have done better timing-wise (and with much less stress) if I did the work as MGMAT recommended.

All in all, great course. Worth every penny.

Now let's see about getting into a decent business school...

MGMAT - thanks for everything. I will certainly be recommending you guys in the future. 

Last edited by kahalani on 19 Jul 2010, 22:32, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 161

Kudos [?]: 829 [1] , given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 02:15
This post received
KUDOS
Great score :) Your Verbal rock Man..

Keep us updated with your application... and yea welcome to the Club.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 7

Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 02:25
This post received
KUDOS
kahalani, congratulations on your score and thank you for sharing your experience with us.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 22:25
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks guys. Actually I'm not sure how I neglected to mention it in my previous posts, but I probably should be thanking GMAT Club (i.e. you guys) as well. I've spent hours and hours on the site since I first thought seriously about an MBA path and taking the GMAT. I'll definitely be back to check in, write in, and add my application to the list once the time is right.

Really though, for test takers and applicants who tend to over-think things or get lost late at night looking for information and clicking through one page after another, this site is both a godsend and terrible drug.
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1983

Kudos [?]: 6419 [0], given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 19:38
Expert's post
Kahalani - welcome to GMAT Club.

Congratulations on the 750! Fantastic score :)
Thank you very much for the MGMAT review too - this is very helpful.

P.S. I saw on your profile age as 22 - are you going into Bschool with a year of work experience or straight out of college? (sorry if I am nosy)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 21:07
Actually the plan is business school in two or three years, after I get some real world experience. I figured it is better to get the exam over with now, while I still have a semi-academic mindset. Also, since I got it over with now, I'll be able to focus on my primary priorities of work and family for the next few years, maybe with a bit of volunteering and fun thrown in.

When I am ready to apply to business school in a year or two, I'll only have to put together my essays and prepare for the interviews.

College students or recent grads- if you know you'll likely want to go to business school take the exam now. You're a lot more used to exams now than you will be in a few years, and there is no way you'll have more free time in the future, assuming you are working full time.
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 09:19
wow, grats on the great score!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 43

Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 11:21
Yo Kahalani,

I'm new to studying for the GMAT, so I don't have much of a clue as to how to start studying for the exam. In your opinion, since I'm new to the GMAT, the structure of the exam is new to me, I've never taken a standarized exam, let alone studied for one; my question is if the Manhattan Gmat Live is a good choice vs the Self Version (Pre-recorded MG prep course)
I'm considering the self version, I feel that I'm disciplined enough to start it and finish it.

What else can I do to prepare for a 700+ score while studying this early. My goal is to study effectively with the time that I have, instead of studying useless random materials from companies with different methods and approach's to the exam.

If you were me, starting all over, and studying now for the first time; How would you study, what would you study, and what program would you recommend to a person new to standarized testing, and new to the GMAT.

Also, I Have not taken any math courses since first year of junior college, so I'm really rusty, and need help with math, in your opinion will either program help me out.

What do you think?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ACCA
Schools: IMD, Insead, LBS, IE, Cambridge, Oxford

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 14:29
great score!!!!
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 2

Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 14:32
kahalani wrote:
College students or recent grads- if you know you'll likely want to go to business school take the exam now. You're a lot more used to exams now than you will be in a few years, and there is no way you'll have more free time in the future, assuming you are working full time.

True kahalani .. Good planning !!

Awesome score and Wish you all the best with your future plans!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 15:25
Quote:
In your opinion, since I'm new to the GMAT, the structure of the exam is new to me, I've never taken a standarized exam, let alone studied for one; my question is if the Manhattan Gmat Live is a good choice vs the Self Version (Pre-recorded MG prep course)

The biggest advantage of the online course is that there are two instructors available, so you can ask questions in a private side chat without slowing down the class. This was really nice, because I--like you say you are-- was also rusty on some quant topics, and I could ask the "stupid" questions without being embarrassed or worrying that I was holding up the class. Also, you get half an hour of one-on-one private tutoring each work during the course. You'd meet online and on the phone, and an instructor would be there with all the books, happy to work through any questions you have, or just work some more an a given topic. I only used it once, but it was great and I should have used it more.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the courses are exactly the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you get the same books, the same online access, the same tests and even full recordings of the same 9 sessions. You'll still have to be motivated and work on your own. The syllabus expects you to put in something like 15 hours a week of outside work, though you can do that after the class if you prefer. The only real advantages of the live online course is having the instructor available to ask questions to, and the weekly private tutoring. Those are pretty big advantages though.

Just to compare to a real live class - This was my only online class experience, and I honestly I think I like it better than in-person class. Having two teachers present was great. Besides for being available to answer questions, it helped to keep the class focused, which prevented me from losing interest. Also the online class is filled with live questions to the class, which is great, since you can see the class spread and better understand how and where you are likely to make mistakes.

Quote:
Also, I Have not taken any math courses since first year of junior college, so I'm really rusty, and need help with math, in your opinion will either program help me out.

Math was also my challenge. Work through the "Math Essentials" book, which will remind (or teach) you of all the basic math you need before you can begin to study for the test itself.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 43

Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 16:13
I believe this will help me make a decision on the program,there's one that starts in the next few days, so thanks.

Any other tips on what I should be doing now, as far as preperation.
I'm getting in the habit of reading, also I've started to read the Kaplan Online book, any other recommend?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 06:16
Great Job!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ACCA
Schools: IMD, Insead, LBS, IE, Cambridge, Oxford

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 14:09
Congratulations, great scores!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 14

Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 20:09
congrats my friend. excellent score!
Best of luck for your MBA!
Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2010, 20:09