Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
8 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [8] , given: 3

750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 01:12
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I'm happy to inform you all that I am done with the GMAT, forever. Got a 750(Q-51,V-40) and though it's a little less than the 99th percentile(760 benchmark) I had set for myself,nonetheless ,I'm on top of the world.

A brief background

In India, we are told by our parents that every exam is very “crucial for your future” . So the high school exam is “make or break” for “deciding your future”, the same is for the 12th grade and the same continues when we prepare for the engineering exam and then for the CAT. I have been hearing all those things since time immemorial “Beta, padh lo! Life ban jaayegi”(Son, study!Your future will be secure!) . Huh! But to prepare for the GMAT was the first time when anybody didn’t have to tell me that, because
1. This time I didn’t tell anyone that I’m preparing for the GMAT so there was no one to bestow me with suggestions
2. This time I myself knew that this exam is really important as it is going to determine my future.

I started my preparation 4 months back . As I am working full-time, I kept aside around 20 hours of studying per week as I did not want to burn out fast by studying too hard.

Test day Experience

AWA -
I didn’t prepare anything for AWA till the day before the exam. Knew that I’ll do well on this. Saw the template by Chineseburned and just practiced writing one essay each of argument and issue on one of the AWA topics on mba.com and surprisingly as luck would have it, I got the argument essay on the GMAT on which I had practised writing an essay! .

Quant:-
The questions were very easy and I was cruising at good speed.Suddenly,saw that 2-3 questions were quite easy and I got nervous thinking that I was not doing well but as the score showed later, I think I couldn’t have done better on quant. The language and format of the quant questions was very similar to the ones you’d see on the GMATPREP CATs , so I’d suggest you to really take time analyzing the GMATPREP CATs

Verbal:-
First two questions were SC questions. The sentences were not long but the questions were quite tricky. And though I had practiced a lot of meaning based questions from Aristotle New SC Questionbank, I was thrown off balance because of the pressure on the exam. Took a good 4-5 minutes on them and cursed myself for that. Regained the composure and said to myself not to exceed the time I have set for myself for each type of question. Then started tackling the questions with greater poise.

Finished the Verbal section just in time. Only 10 seconds were left on the clock. :)

Books referred:-
I primarily referred OGs, Manhattan and Aristotle Prep books as I didn't want to go crazy doing everything on the internet

OG12 and OG11- The OGs are the best resources for practising as they contain retired GMAT questions.

SC -Aristotle SC Grail ,Manhattan SC - Both the books complement each other. No wonder these are the most referred books for SC.
Ultimate One minute Explanations to OG12 SC- Has to understand explanations to OG12 questions.
CR : Manhattan CR Guide
RC : Ginn’s RC Guide for RC strategy and Aristotle RC Practice sets 1 & 2 for practice
Quant- Nothing much. In fact, I got a little jittery in the 3rd month of my preparation that I have completely ignored maths :-D

Practice test scores
GMATPREP and Manhattan CATs are the best out there!
Before I started my prep, i took a GMATPREP CAT.Scored a 670 on that so knew that I’d not to be just focused to score well.
After 3 months
MGMAT CAT 1 - 640( Got shocked that after preparing for 3 months I got a score less than what I had gotten on the diagnostic)
MGMAT CAT 2 - 670
MGMAT CAT 3 - 720
GMATPREP 1 - 740 (Was overjoyed that I have broken the 700 barrier on GMATPREP)
MGMAT CAT 4- 740
GMATPREP 2- 750
GMATPREP1 (Retake) : 780 ( Saw around 4-5 repeat questions/sections so that’s why the score got inflated )

Final GMAT : 750(Q:51,V-40)
I’m quite happy on getting this score but maybe a little disappointed that I couldn’t touch the 99th percentile mark at 760.

Here are some things which I learned during the journey and after reaching the destination :)

1.) TIME MANAGEMENT - I think that time management is MORE important that practicing.A lot of us fail to control our emotions on the actual exam and end up spending more than the stipulated time on a particular question. For example, I wasted around 4-5 minutes on a probability question when all I should have done is that I should have

2.) Educated guessing/Ballparking : Making educated guesses on maths can help you answer questions faster. The GMAT doesn’t expect you to solve every question till the last digit. Learn the art of ballparking as you prepare for the exam.

3) Prefer only good quality material : Do not go mad doing every other resource out there on the internet especially those 1000 SC documents. Its more important to do 10 questions a day and get 7 different concepts out of it rather than doing 100 and getting only 5 different concepts out of it. How to find different concepts ? Read the answers in the OG very carefully. They hide little gems.

4.) Visit the forums often: This forum is the best way to keep yourself in the groove and be motivated. Follow threads by good members.A good way to get good questions (or explanations ) posted by different people is to search for their older posts. Three people i can vouch for are : GMATLA,Santanu,PTK and Bunuel. Thanks to all of them
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 3

Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 02:08
This post received
KUDOS
It's been a long time. Wanted to update you all that I have made it through INSEAD for the Jan 2013 intake ! Haven't decided the campus but most probably it'll be Singapore. Will be putting in my papers in the company only after I use my 10 day leave that is left for this year ? :) I'm sure that people in office will look at me with great envy for the next 2 months of the notice period. Thank you gmatclub for helping me sail through this long journey!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Insead Sept '16
GMAT Date: 09-30-2014
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 17

Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 05:11
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations!

And it's good you padh liya tha properly, this padho or madho culture has turned you all into serious Phunsukh Wangdus. It sometimes makes me resent Partition.

:)

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 04:10
WoW...a great score....heartiest congrats to you for the same...
Nicely written debrief, what I like most about the debrief is the "indian touch ( Beta...) .."... :wink:
wish you all the best for future. :)

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 644 [0], given: 6

Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 15:51
Expert's post
Congratulations! And good points.

I would imagine you saw some experimental questions for integrated reasoning. Do share your thoughts...

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 16:05
Congratulation on an awsome score.

How are the Aristotle RC Set 1/2 compare with the RC passages that you saw on the real test?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 21:21
Congratulations for the awesome score. good luck for your application part.
Please share your accuracy level while scoring V40
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 08:31
Excellent score! Did you seriously get 51 in Quant! Whooww! Post your elaborate debrief soon!

Yeah, did anything on Integrated Reasoning appear? Any experimental questions?

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 23:52
congratulations wel done!!!hard and smart work pays!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 03:24
Thank you all. The integrated reasoning section is optional for test takers till 4th June. Although the GMAT says that they'll choose lucky winners from those who take the experimental integration reasoning test fully, I simply didn't have the patience to wait for my score, so I didn't attempt the section :D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 20:38
wow thats a HUGEEEEE jump i must say!!!! good job
Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 04:52
Great achievement ! Why did you want to touch 99th percentile,btw ? I hope that you know beyond a point(which is usually 710), the GMAT scores don't matter a lot to the admission committees ? If only you want to teach at MGMAT, then you need that 760 though ;)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 09:42
Am glad to see that you have landed up with a great score. All the best! :)

It's a dawg eat dawg world!

Manager
Manager

Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 10:13
@shovit
Yeah. Teaching at MGMAT can be a good part time option though. Even if one teaches 10 hours/week ,that would be around $1000 itself, enough to take care of the college expense and possibly to meet the tuition expenses also ? That looks too good to be true. Doesn't it ? $4000/month just by teaching 10 hours/week. Am I missing something here ? :?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2012, 08:17
Congratulations on that massive score. Your tips are really helpful. Did you make passage maps for RCs ? I'm somehow finiding it a little time consuming and it also breaks the flow of reading.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 09:51
Congratulations. I am hoping for a similar score as well.
Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 22:22
invincibleforce wrote:

Hehe. Yeah. Teaching at MGMAT can be a good part time option though. Even if one teaches 10 hours/week ,that would be around $1000 itself, enough to take care of the college expense and possibly to meet the tuition expenses also ? That looks too good to be true. Doesn't it ? $4000/month just by teaching 10 hours/week. Am I missing something here ? :?

Possibly not. Even Veritas Prep claims that it pay a minimum of $100, but I have heard that only the top instructors get paid that much rest of the instructors in relatively small places make around $25-$30 /hour. Not sure about the authencity of these facts though
Manager
Manager

Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 10:10
shovitdhar wrote:
invincibleforce wrote:

Hehe. Yeah. Teaching at MGMAT can be a good part time option though. Even if one teaches 10 hours/week ,that would be around $1000 itself, enough to take care of the college expense and possibly to meet the tuition expenses also ? That looks too good to be true. Doesn't it ? $4000/month just by teaching 10 hours/week. Am I missing something here ? :?

Possibly not. Even Veritas Prep claims that it pay a minimum of $100, but I have heard that only the top instructors get paid that much rest of the instructors in relatively small places make around $25-$30 /hour. Not sure about the authencity of these facts though

Oh I see. The MBA course at the top schools are quite hectice in themselves so it'd be quite a difficult task for one to manage a part time job alongwith studies given the amount of time one has to spend in commuting and all.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 03:19
Very good post. How did you go about tackling bold face questions because I find them quite difficult ? Also how many boldface questions did you see on the GMAT ?
Manager
Manager

Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 01:55
gauravdangi wrote:
Very good post. How did you go about tackling bold face questions because I find them quite difficult ? Also how many boldface questions did you see on the GMAT ?

Yeah,boldface questions can be a little tricky because the options are worded in a confusing way.I saw 2 boldface questions on the GMAT. One was manageable but the other one was difficult. MGMAT CR recommends a diagramming method which I tried for sometime during my preparation but realized it was not working for me and it was too time consuming so did nothing in particular for that.
Re: 750(Q-51,V-40)- Invincibleforce conquered the GMAT!   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2012, 01:55