Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 09:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750(Q-48,V-44)- One step closer to becoming an MBA/VC!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [5] , given: 0

750(Q-48,V-44)- One step closer to becoming an MBA/VC! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 10:49
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys,
I'm done with the GMAT today and scored a 750. It feels great that months of hardwork is behind you and the credit for this success in part goes to these great forums which have been my life support so to speak.

My GMAT journey in a Nutshell:
Currently i work in sales at a pharmaceutical company and that means though the job involves a lot of traveling so maintaining discipline was a challenge. To maintain the momentum, I had to sometimes take my books along so after a long day of meetings, I would be studying in my hotel room. :)

Post- MBA I intend to work in VC/PE fund and for that the unsaid pre-requisite condition is an MBA from a top 10 school. My interest in VC/PE industry grew when I was working on my last startup which unfortunately didn't do well and had to shut down. Nevertheless, it got me quite excited about this industry and I knew for sure either I'm doing to do something of my own again or I'm going to work at one of the VC/PE funds
I started my prep in October with a diagnostic test in which i scored a 650. I don't remember the exact split but it was fairly balanced.. Given that the average GMAT score at HBS, Stanford GSB is around 730, I set a target of improving by 100 points in 5 months. Yeah 5 months seemed long to prepare for the GMAT given that most people here finish it in 2-3 months but given the nature of my job,i thought that i wouldn't go too hard on myself.

I am a native speaker so i think that some things on verbal came naturally. Having said that, i think that the GMAT Verbal is less of an English test and more a test of your reasoning skills. Anyone can solve all the questions if there were no time limit but since there is time constraint, i think you have to learn smart ways to figure out the answers in the shortest possible time and for that you need to be quite familiar with the content. Also learning strategies for tackling various question types is important. And I honestly believe that unless you're not overtly gifted, you can't get a good score by not studying at all.

For Verbal, I had purchased ManhattanGMAT Verbal guides and Aristotle Verbal Grail series though i primarily referred to the grail series. The books are very exhaustive in terms of concepts covered and practice. I didn't refer to anything else for Verbal other than this.

For Math, i primarily referred to ManhattanGMAT Quant books. I especially liked their number properties book and overall i found their math books to be much better than their verbal books. I supplemented this with PS & DS Boosters for practice because honestly most OG Math questions are way to easier than the GMAT Math questions

Test day experience:

I had my test center around half an hour from where I live . I reached the test center half an hour early. There must be around 8-10 other test-takers in the afternoon slot. The test center staff was cordial and overall I had a pretty good experience and the test went well with no major hiccups. Here's my feedback on each section. I have highlighted my overall assessment of the actual GMAT with respect of the GMATPREP. I think it'll help the folks here get an idea what the actual GMAT is like.

AWA- The prompt was easy. Used the template by Chineseburned. Finished writing by the 25th minute and revised the essay for the remaining time.
IR- I found the IR questions on the GMAT to be easier than those in the GMATPREPs and much easier those in the MGMAT CATs(EASIER)
Quant- The quant on the GMAT was quite like that in the GMATPREP and much easier than that in the MGMAT CATs(Comparable)
Verbal- The verbal section on the GMAT was a little more difficult than the GMATPREPs. I found the CR questions comparable, and the SC and RC questions to be a little tougher than the GMATPREPs(Slightly tougher)

I think preparation is important but what is also important is how you handle the pressure on the test day. My priorities during the exam were a)Controlling my mind so that I am totally focused on the test and b) pacing so that I don't face time crunch later in the section. I knew that if I am able to take care of these two things, then doing well on the test won't be a herculean task and in this regard, taking practice tests helps a lot.
I'm very relieved now and i think that I am going to work hard at my work for the next few months now so that I'm able to lap up some good recommendations. After all, you need many more things apart from a good GMAT score to get admitted to a top school. :)
Thank you again. Adios!

Last edited by jason25 on 12 Mar 2013, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 181

Re: 750(Q-48,V-44)- One step closer to becoming an MBA/VC! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 15:25
Congrats on the Great Score . Can you please give more details about your preparation ? I mean your study plan ?

P.S: I worked as a medical rep , too before shifting my career to sales training :)

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 124 [1] , given: 80

Re: 750(Q-48,V-44)- One step closer to becoming an MBA/VC! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 17:16
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations on the great score, Jason! Serious props for getting through the study process while working in pharma sales--I've seen some guys try to pull that off, and all of them had a really rough time balancing the travel and the schedule with their studies. Awesome work, sir. Good luck with your applications!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 750(Q-48,V-44)- One step closer to becoming an MBA/VC! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 09:33
Congratulations for your dedication and hardwork. would like to see myself in 700 league :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 750(Q-48,V-44)- One step closer to becoming an MBA/VC! [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 22:47
Congratulations on the great score and thank you for those red highlights marking how the actual GMAT is vis-a-vis the practice tests.. Since you said that the gmat verbal was tougher, what extra material do you think that one should do to prepare well for it ? i have already done SC Grail 3rd edition and MGMAT SC alongwith OG13 questions...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: 750(Q-48,V-44)- One step closer to becoming an MBA/VC! [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 02:54
Well the truth of the matter is that PE/VC jobs are the highest paid ones and just because of this there's huge competition among students in top schools to get into these jobs.. PE/VCs firm are looking for work previous experience in the industry and if you are from an IT background etc,making the switch is very difficult, if not impossible!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: 750(Q-48,V-44)- One step closer to becoming an MBA/VC! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 00:25
russianaspirant wrote:
Well the truth of the matter is that PE/VC jobs are the highest paid ones and just because of this there's huge competition among students in top schools to get into these jobs.. PE/VCs firm are looking for work previous experience in the industry and if you are from an IT background etc,making the switch is very difficult, if not impossible!

That's true. A lot of people say that Stanford/Harvard send the maximum number of students to PE/VC firms. What they don't know is that around 15% of the incoming classes at these schools actually comes from PE/VC firms so no wondering that these people are bound to join back these firms at higher levels
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 5

Re: 750(Q-48,V-44)- One step closer to becoming an MBA/VC! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 02:13
Congratulations on your great score and all the best for applications! God Bless!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 750(Q-48,V-44)- One step closer to becoming an MBA/VC! [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 02:48
FuzzyLogic wrote:

That's true. A lot of people say that Stanford/Harvard send the maximum number of students to PE/VC firms. What they don't know is that around 15% of the incoming classes at these schools actually comes from PE/VC firms so no wondering that these people are bound to join back these firms at higher levels

Ya.but I'd say that even if you don't get an opportunity to join a VC firm immediately after your MBA, the chances of making it to one after maybe 2-3 years become good. The reason is that these schools have really great alumni working in top jobs in VC/PE industry so the chances of impressing one of these VCs become good.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 750(Q-48,V-44)- One step closer to becoming an MBA/VC! [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 20:09
Where do I get the ps and ds boosters from ? I need to practice math questions
Re: 750(Q-48,V-44)- One step closer to becoming an MBA/VC!   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2013, 20:09