Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750 (Q:49 V:44) - Yipeee

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
750 (Q:49 V:44) - Yipeee [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 15:44
Just got back and wanted to THANK everyone on the board for their help and insight. 8-) :lol:

750 (Q:49 V:44) - Yipeee

This is what I've been getting on the GMAT Prep last three weeks:
750 (Lot of Verbal Repeats)
760 (Lot of Verbal Repeats)

Manhattan GMAT:

I have 800score.com and the CracGMAT but they are all useless so I didn't bother taking them. The crackGMAT Quant though, was useful, I must say (as were the online challenges).

Quick Thoughts:
I thought I bombed the math due to some "unique" questions that I had never seen. On top of that my computer crashed because the power went out at some of the stations.. Luckily, the power came back on and none of the tests were affected (Though at the time I was hoping the server crashed because I wanted to retake the math)..

Quant: About 7 of the Math questions were very "unique". I thought I bombed it because of these questions but guess I didn't do that bad. To compound matters, all these questions came up front so I was scared to death. DO NOT feel bad if you dont' do well on the challenges here. I was only doing about 79% on most of them even after doing 10 of them and still getting about 9-11 wrong on the GMATPrep but was consistently able to get 47-49 on the Quant in the GMATPrep. DO NOT get RATTLED. I had to calm myself down because I thought I did so bad on the math since I missed a few questions. I was expecting..This test is as much about time management and staying focused as it is about testing your math and verbal skills. Doing well on the math came down to learning how to solve the problems quickly. I was under time by 4-5 minutes initially but was able to catch up after I learned shortcuts and how to fundamentally solve problems. Will share some of the shortcuts later and hope it can help someone..

Verbal: I thought this was very simple. Nothing too complicated in SC or RC. I think I missed a few RC as one passage was tough. Got one BF RC and this was simple. The RC was very simple for some reason. The SC was not too tough either.

Marker Controversy: The Markers were fine. Issue is overblown. What I suggest is you ask for two pens when you take the exam (They will give them to you) as some may dry out and do not leave the cap on all the time if possible. I was worried from all the posts but do not worry. If you want to practice, get any wet-erase marker and some transparencies or laminate paper and practice. The real thing is much easier to use. They have this at the office depot retail..

I'll post more info later and my thoughts on attacking the beast.. Thanks again to everyone on the board. Feel free to message me with questions..
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 17:00
oh my... my dream score :roll:

let me play some U2 music for ya!!!
:band

nice "Elevation"! you must go :drunk tonight for sure!

how long did you study and what sources you used? are you natural in math? if you don't mind can you tell me more about how you used challenges and how many... I am kind of stuck at 38-42 level in math... lost my mind already thinking how to improve quant...

thanks
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 17:50
U2 - I studied really hard for 3 months.. I had the books for a year but then finally decided to do it..I do well at math but the GMAT math is a bit tough.. Really the math here is tricky and involves knowing a lot of shortcuts as well as fundamentals and all of it in an avg. of 2 mins per problem..

Here is what I would suggest:
I started with Math using the MGMAT books and the Kaplan 800 book. These were ok but can't help you get a 49.

To get to 49, Do the online challenges here, do the MGMAT math from their tests and do the CrackGMAT quant section as well as the last third of the OG. I didn't do well ..79% on most challenges and this can fluctuate ..my highest was 84 percentile so just try to learn from each problem..

From this, create an error list of each wrong problem. Then separate all these into categories (I had categories from A to N). I solved each type of problem in the categories and kept adding problems.. Doing this forced to me to learn fundamentals of each one and I also created and learned shortcuts for a lot of time consuming problems. If you do this and need help on types of probs, i can help you with some of my shortcuts. You need to start here first though and figure out your weaknesses before you can proceed. Also jot down any tough questions you got as the reasoning in those will be useful.. Half to a third of the problem with me is reading the question correctly as well. I would put my stuff online but i have a lot of questions from copyrighted sources so I have to be careful.. I do plan to summarize all the stuff I learned in Math and Verbal but this will be a big task.. If you have specific areas you are weak, I can share what helped me in those areas..
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2006, 12:53
You've mentioned MGMT math, is that inclusive of all the books?? I'm already using the sentence correction and it's pretty good too.

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2006, 21:14
Wonderful.....

Congratulations. :musband
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 18:52
What about the Manhat GMAT Online Challenges?
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 19:12
The MGAT only challenges were TOO hard.. They were not useful .. I started using them but found them to be to difficult and most of the questions do not seem like typical GMAT quant questions (even at the 50+) level.. Maybe if you want over a 50, they might be somewhat useful..

Waste of money actually for me (though I have all the MGMAT books and online tests which were definitely worth it).. I found them MGAT challenges before the GMAT club challengs and if I had found the online challenges here, I wouldn't have wasted my time and money on the MGAT challenges.. It boils down to being able to do 37 questions in 75 minutes.. Nothing beats the GMAT club challenges or an actual test for these items... I think some of the GMAT club challenges are way too hard or non-GMAT type questions but i was able to learn a lot from doing them or from reviewing the answers so it was helpful.. Whereas some of the MGMAT were arcane and learning the solution didn't seem as if it would help on the GMAT..
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 07:26
Woooohoooo, Great, congratulations :banana
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2006, 07:22
Here's your 700 club award :)

CONGRATS!!!!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2006, 20:06
congrats!!!

how do you feel the test is compared to mgmat tests... are they easier or harder?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2006, 22:26
I agree with test999test that Q section on MGMAT is go little bit beyond
the real GMAT . Their PS question is harder than real Gmat
but their DS is too easy and have fewer traps compared to the real test.

How was your comment on MGMAT verbal part ?
is it too easy or too hard compared to real GMAT?
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2006, 19:20
The MGAT is DIFFERENT from the real GMAT.
The real GMAT tests a lot of number properties,etc.. and really, to me, its all about getting the DS right. The word problems are probably similar with the real GMAT being a bit easier but for DS, nothing really matches the GMAT like the GMATPrep software..

With that said, I prepare with over several hundred questions but a lot of the questions on test day were really unlike what i had encountered before but I just kept using my logic and chugging away.. I guess I figured I'd see a lot of probs I had seen before..

What I would say is master each subject to the best of your ability. Learn all the tricks and shortcuts as well fundamentals and then you will be able to handle any of the GMAT math. The other thing I noticed is that NONE of the GMAT math required very complex computations that these other tests make you do such as challenges here and a few MGAT..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2006, 05:46
awesome score!- did you take any practices in the beginning of your prep? If so, how did you score then?
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2006, 16:02
I did around 600 on the initial test with a few days studying... My baseline before starting intensive or advanced studying was around 660.. Focusing on the harder items and tricks of DS as well as CR and SC brought me up to 750.. My verbal was always very strong once I learned the SC via MGAT.. my math suffered because of DS but the MGMAT cat's, challenges here, and the Crack GMAT quant questions that I got wrong and studied helped pull me over.. The other thing is that I got 750,750, and 760 on the GMAT prep for my last 3 gmat's so you can see thing is dead on.. My MGAT scores at the same time were both 710 so you can see MGMAT score in general is a bit lower.. However, wouldn't trust anyting but the GMAT Prep.. Don't worry about the verbal questions repeating from the OG guides either.. I thought this skewed my verbal score as I always did well but I believe you will do equall well on the real GMAT as verbal is an exact copy of the GMAT prep while the math, for me at least, was a bit different..
  [#permalink] 19 Aug 2006, 16:02