Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q46  V48
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
 Q46  V48
Send PM
Re: 750 - Q46 V48 [#permalink]
Kudos
I got 740 and 780 on the GMAT Preps, but didn't think anything like that was realistic because I'd already seen so many of the questions on this forum.

In terms of time management, I was worried about not having enough time to finish quant so I probably rushed a few of the earlier questions - I was trying to stay within two minutes per question all the time. Looking back, I'd say I was too conscious of staying ahead of the clock - you can probably afford to go three or four minutes behind in the middle of the exam and still complete all questions in the 75 minutes.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Raffie,
Can you give some tips on your verbal study technique/strategy?
I'm particularly curious about your RC and CR techniques. What materials did you use?

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q46  V48
Send PM
Hi Soni

To be honest, I think most of CR and RC is common sense. Whenever I saw "strategies" for dealing with these, my eyes glazed over! I guess the most important thing is to be familiar with the format and know what to expect - the easy way to do that is just to chip away at the forum here. If you're pretty good with the questions posted here, I'd say keep practicing and don't overelaborate. If you're having trouble, then it might be time to try identifying your weaknesses and think about an approach..

Sorry I can't be of much more help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Raffie wrote:
After putting it off for months I sat the GMAT yesterday. I was very pleased with the outcome (even if it's slightly biaised towards Verbal Reasoning).

A big thank you to everybody on the forum - I've posted when I've had something to say, but I've mainly lurked and learned from the more prolific GMAT Clubbers.

As for the exam itself. It certainly seemed less gruelling in practice than I'd anticipated. The two AWA half-hours flew. From that into Quant where I was immediately stumped by several weird exponent questions (fractions to the power of -1/2, -1/4 etc) - I simply hadn't a clue how to deal with these. Very little on probability, nothing on Permutations / Combinations, quite a bit of Geometry. By the time VR started I was tired and got bored with the subject matter really easily. I pulled myself together, tried to concentrate and finished up with a good bit of time to spare - I think the VR time allowance is quite luxurious.

Anyway that's just my two cent worth on the exam - not worth getting too intimidated about. Thanks again to everybody for all the help.

Raffie, PLEASE talk about the exponents and geometry problems you encountered.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GRE 1: Q780 V540
Send PM
Kudos
Great score Raffie.

Gud luck for the applications.

can you post your experiences in preperation
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q46  V48
Send PM
dominion wrote:
Raffie wrote:
After putting it off for months I sat the GMAT yesterday. I was very pleased with the outcome (even if it's slightly biaised towards Verbal Reasoning).

A big thank you to everybody on the forum - I've posted when I've had something to say, but I've mainly lurked and learned from the more prolific GMAT Clubbers.

As for the exam itself. It certainly seemed less gruelling in practice than I'd anticipated. The two AWA half-hours flew. From that into Quant where I was immediately stumped by several weird exponent questions (fractions to the power of -1/2, -1/4 etc) - I simply hadn't a clue how to deal with these. Very little on probability, nothing on Permutations / Combinations, quite a bit of Geometry. By the time VR started I was tired and got bored with the subject matter really easily. I pulled myself together, tried to concentrate and finished up with a good bit of time to spare - I think the VR time allowance is quite luxurious.

Anyway that's just my two cent worth on the exam - not worth getting too intimidated about. Thanks again to everybody for all the help.

I would hate for Raffie to lose his marvellous score, so I request that you not ask him questions about actual questions
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Raffie wrote:
dominion wrote:
Raffie wrote:

I would hate for Raffie to lose his marvellous score, so I request that you not ask him questions about actual questions

Apologies, did not want him to talk about actual problems -- just surprising concepts in problems like the exponent ones he encountered/mentioned.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Good job! I, like you, seem to just "get" RC and CR, however what was your approach to SC?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts