Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750 - Q49 V42 - My GMAT experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
12 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [12] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
750 - Q49 V42 - My GMAT experience [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2007, 08:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Just wanted to share my GMAT experience. I just took the exam today, and I got 750.

My prep material was:

- Manhattan verbal books. I didn't open the RC and CR ones though. As a non-English native (although I have a very good grasp of English), Sentence Correction Book was essential. It really helped me improve my verbal skills.

- Math challenges. Great practice for maths. I recommend this to everybody, especially considering the price, best value for money I've seen. http://gmatclub.com/wiki/Tests

- OG ed.11. Good basic practice exercices.

- 1000 tests.

Background: I studied business in uni, with a strong emphasis on maths, chemistry and physics in the first years (commercial engineer, for those of you who understand what it means). So I've always been comfortable with figures and speed tests (did CFA 1st level too). I lived in several English-speaking countries, so I'm quite comfortable with the language, but I'm not perfectly bilingual. Some idioms were a bit tricky for example.

I'll split my explanations in maths and verbal.

Math

I did almost all the challenges, and did the difficult exercices in the OG. Maths was always going to be easier for me than verbal. I did have to polish my math theory, ecause I forgot a lot.

My recommendation would be the following for those of you who are not poor in maths (sorry if this sounds like I'm bragging): the OG math theory is sufficient to revise most of the principles you need to know. What really helped though were the "tricks", for example in order to add several consecutive integers, take the middle figure and multiply it by the number of figures, etc. This could sound like basic stuff for the math gurus, but I forgot most of this, and it's VERY VERY useful in a test where speed is essential. Anything that can make you save time is good, you'll defo need it. Surf on the math forum to check for this.

Also, knowing that you can use several methods to find answers was very useful - this might sound very stupid, but before going on the forum I never thought of replacing figures in the different results, etc. Try to identify the easiest method for each question. I still made that mistake in the exam, trying to solve a complicated problem without replacing, cost me 1.5 minutes, which was ridiculous.

Also, you HAVE to know the basic stuff inside out: 1 is not prime, 0 is even and isn't negative or positive, etc. The corrolary of this is: read the question CAREFULLY. If we speak about a POSITIVE INTEGER, you can forget about -0.5. Inversely, an integer can also be sq2. NEVER forget to test special figures such as 1 and 0 in the DS questions.

The best practice I found were the challenges, that are - I reckon - quite similar to what you are going to get on the GMAT. COngrats to the peopld who contributed to their creation btw, you guys are spot on. Well done. 79$ for that kind of practice is ridiculously low (especially with the very high euro :-D ), don't hesitate and get it!

This is all I used for maths, and it was enough. I don't think I could increase my 49 without practicing like a nutter - not worth it. I think that was my limit.

Verbal

I'm not very good in verbal. Like all the international students, I struggled with SC. I practiced RC and CR with the 1000 tests (did 120 of each), and that was enough for me. I studied SC with the Manhattan book. I would like to stress here that this book was a BIBLE for me. SC was much clearer to me after that, as well as understanding the 3/2 concept. I would recommend all the international students to get this book.

Last remark: I also don't believe in studying 6 months before the exam. Regular studying + 2 weeks intensive before the exam should do it (I took 2.5 weeks off, where I wrote a couple of essays and studied).

Anyway, if you have questions, please don't hesitate!

PS: sorry for the totally incoherent post structure, I can't be ars*d reading it again :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 210 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2007, 09:20
This post received
KUDOS
very nice. the fact that u only did 120 CR is impressive.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2007, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
great score.

I got Q49/V48 but only 20 total points higher than you. Where's my 780? :wink:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2007, 10:15
This post received
KUDOS
Can you provide tips on your RC and CR? Did you take notes at all or just read through and answer?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2007, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
Tarmac wrote:
great score.

law of diminishing returns. somebody on this board got a Q50/V51 and still only got a 780.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2007, 13:27
This post received
KUDOS
dabots wrote:
Tarmac wrote:
great score.

law of diminishing returns. somebody on this board got a Q50/V51 and still only got a 780.

I understand, I was half joking. HOWEVER, did score 48/41 on a GMATprep and that was a 730. :?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 06:54
This post received
KUDOS
What ware your verbal and quant percentiles? I got a 49 and 40 and mine ware 89% and 89 %. What does 42 in verbal convert too? Might be a big jump between 40 and 42
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2007, 05:26
This post received
KUDOS
To bmwhype2:

I'm lying actually; I also did the 5 verbal challenges, so i did a bit more than 120 CR. My advice on that aspect is not to neglect it. I was too focused on SC, ad I underestimated CR. Thankfully it went on well during the exam, but for all those international students, don't focus TOO much on SC, CR is tough too and needs to be practiced.

To Tarmac:

Tough luck mate :-D Although, more seriously, I think people know how hard it is to progress from 750 to 770; those 20 points are worth much more than progressing from 580 to 600 for example IMO.

To sonibubu:

This is personal, but i know that when I take notes while reading I just lose precious time. I've got a good visual memory, so if I read a text there's a good chance I'll remember where stuff is. For my TOEFL, I took notes for the reading comprehension (that helped), but I'm not a big fan of it. As for CR, I don't see the point to take notes - I did everything mentally.

To Travel09:

89% in quant with a 49 (that really surprised me, I thought I was going to kick arse with that level of quant), and 95% in verbal with a 42, which gave a GMAT percentile of 98%. That just shows you that you have to be at least good in both domains to have a high score.

Hope this helps! If there are any other questions please feel free and shoot. This forum helped me immensely, so I want to give something back.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 2

[#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2007, 23:14
This post received
KUDOS
Audio wrote:
To bmwhype2:

I'm lying actually; I also did the 5 verbal challenges, so i did a bit more than 120 CR. My advice on that aspect is not to neglect it. I was too focused on SC, ad I underestimated CR. Thankfully it went on well during the exam, but for all those international students, don't focus TOO much on SC, CR is tough too and needs to be practiced.

To Tarmac:

Tough luck mate :-D Although, more seriously, I think people know how hard it is to progress from 750 to 770; those 20 points are worth much more than progressing from 580 to 600 for example IMO.

To sonibubu:

This is personal, but i know that when I take notes while reading I just lose precious time. I've got a good visual memory, so if I read a text there's a good chance I'll remember where stuff is. For my TOEFL, I took notes for the reading comprehension (that helped), but I'm not a big fan of it. As for CR, I don't see the point to take notes - I did everything mentally.

To Travel09:

89% in quant with a 49 (that really surprised me, I thought I was going to kick arse with that level of quant), and 95% in verbal with a 42, which gave a GMAT percentile of 98%. That just shows you that you have to be at least good in both domains to have a high score.

Hope this helps! If there are any other questions please feel free and shoot. This forum helped me immensely, so I want to give something back.

Audio, math content wise -- did anything pop up that surprised you? (That is, you hadn't seen some variation of it before?)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2007, 19:26
This post received
KUDOS
Great post and nice work on the GMAT!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2007, 04:06
This post received
KUDOS
dominion wrote:

Audio, math content wise -- did anything pop up that surprised you? (That is, you hadn't seen some variation of it before?)

Hi Dominion,

No, nothing really surprised me, it's all in the same style as the OG. It was easier than the gmatclub challenges actually. If you are good with the challenges you'll be fine I reckon.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2007, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
Great Score.

Can you expand on how you increased your expertise in Sentence Corrections? The 1000 SC series I have seen don't seem to have explanations.

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2007, 03:19
This post received
KUDOS
rhoeta wrote:
Great Score.

Can you expand on how you increased your expertise in Sentence Corrections? The 1000 SC series I have seen don't seem to have explanations.

Thanks

1000 exercises are useful is you want to practice volume IMO (this has been confirmed by other posters on the forum I think). I would first recommend to practice the basics and learn the theory (from a book such as Manhattan GMAT prep for example). Then I would do the 1000 and the verbal challenges, they are almost as good as the math ones.

What I would also do is seriously browse this website for tips, there is some great advice out here. For example, recognizing the 3/2 structure is very helpful.

To give you some background on myself, my level in English is very good, but my grammar isn't that good; there were some specific rules that I didn't know and some idioms I wasn't familiar with. The Manhattan GMAT book really helped me in that perspective.

Hope this helps...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 2

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2007, 17:37
This post received
KUDOS
Audio wrote:
rhoeta wrote:
Great Score.

Thanks

1000 exercises are useful is you want to practice volume IMO (this has been confirmed by other posters on the forum I think). I would first recommend to practice the basics and learn the theory (from a book such as Manhattan GMAT prep for example). Then I would do the 1000 and the verbal challenges, they are almost as good as the math ones.

What I would also do is seriously browse this website for tips, there is some great advice out here. For example, recognizing the 3/2 structure is very helpful.

To give you some background on myself, my level in English is very good, but my grammar isn't that good; there were some specific rules that I didn't know and some idioms I wasn't familiar with. The Manhattan GMAT book really helped me in that perspective.

Hope this helps...

Audio,

How'd you feel about Quant difficulty versus the GMAT Challenges? The GMAT Challenges felt significantly easier than the GMATPrep test 1 I took... and it's really disturbing me since everyone says the challenges are harder than the test.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2007, 00:55
This post received
KUDOS
dominion wrote:
Audio wrote:
rhoeta wrote:
Great Score.

Thanks

Hope this helps...

Audio,

How'd you feel about Quant difficulty versus the GMAT Challenges? The GMAT Challenges felt significantly easier than the GMATPrep test 1 I took... and it's really disturbing me since everyone says the challenges are harder than the test.

Hmm, that's weird. I also thought that the challenges were more difficult. Maybe the challenge questions are A BIT different (and even then I'm not so sure), but easier than the real thing, I don't think so.

If you have that impression it might be worth working all the OG questions (although I imagine that you've already done that).

Last edited by Audio on 01 Jan 2008, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2007, 11:32
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Audio,
Congrats on excellent score!!
Would you mind posting your individual scores on Challenges please?

You seem to have taken challenges pretty recently. For folks who are doing chanllenges now, your scores would be really helpful for comparison.

Thanks.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [2] , given: 2

[#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2007, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
gk2k2 wrote:
Hi Audio,
Congrats on excellent score!!
Would you mind posting your individual scores on Challenges please?

You seem to have taken challenges pretty recently. For folks who are doing chanllenges now, your scores would be really helpful for comparison.

Thanks.

+1!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 750 - Q49 V42 - My GMAT experience [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2008, 07:59
This post received
KUDOS
I would love to post my results, but for some reason I cannot find the stats page anymore in the tests :?

What I can tell you though is that I took about 15 challenges; in the beginning I was making around 12 mistakes per challenge, I cut it down to 6 more or less. I basically cut the silly mistakes and implemented some problem resolution techniques.

Implementing new problem resolution techniques (like learning to pick the right numbers, etc) is easy, you learn to do it very quickly and it helps. What takes more time is cutting the crap. If you want to score heavily on the GMAT Q section (and probably V too, although to a lesser extent), you really have to reduce those stupid calculation mistakes to virtually nil IMO. I know that made a difference for me.

I'm pretty sure that the problems I could solve were 95% correct; there were a couple that either were too difficult for me or took me too much time, so I guessed (probably 2 or 3 problems, maybe 4, can't really remember)

Sorry I can't help you with the challenges stats! :cry: If it's up again I'll publish it for sure.

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Stern, Haas

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: 750 - Q49 V42 - My GMAT experience [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2008, 09:06
This post received
KUDOS
Audio, congrats with your scores! I am international student too, so I would like to ask you about your progression, which level you started from? I believe you made great job if you managed to increase points by 20 points and decreasing mistakes, can you give some tips, how to decrease mistakes, thanx in advance
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 750 - Q49 V42 - My GMAT experience [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 10:34
This post received
KUDOS
kazakhb wrote:
Audio, congrats with your scores! I am international student too, so I would like to ask you about your progression, which level you started from? I believe you made great job if you managed to increase points by 20 points and decreasing mistakes, can you give some tips, how to decrease mistakes, thanx in advance

Thanks a lot! My Gmatprep scores were 720 and 750. I took them fairly late, so I wouldn't really be able to tell you how I progressed.

As for mistakes, my first and foremost tip would be: practice, practice and practice. Secondly, it sounds stupid, but read the question carefully: if we speak about a number, it can be positive or negative, integer or not. If the question mentions a positive integer, exclude the other numbers. It sounds stupid, but this cost me a lot of mistakes in the beginning. It's worth taking 5 more seconds per question to carefully read it.

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Re: 750 - Q49 V42 - My GMAT experience   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2008, 10:34