Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750 (Q50 V40) Admissions Question / Tiny Rant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

750 (Q50 V40) Admissions Question / Tiny Rant [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 23:14
So I took my first GMAT ever last Sunday and got a decent unofficial score, I do not know my IR or AWA scores yet obviously.

My question without searching much (I am sorry for this but I am at work and it is a helluva busy week) is this: How important for, let's say LSE or Wharton, is your GMAT score, are the business admissions as mechanical as law school ones (also have a 176 LSAT)? As in, realistically what is my approximate percentage chance of gaining admission to such a program? (The number should represent your opinion about the percentage share of the GMAT score in a holistic admissions package)

RANT: Not being able to review the items / answers in the GMAT you took. I have no idea how on Earth I missed some on Quant, and I really need to see the question that tripped me up :(
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: 750 (Q50 V40) Admissions Question / Tiny Rant [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 04:23
No one? :(
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: 750 (Q50 V40) Admissions Question / Tiny Rant [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 09:47
All applications are read holistically. I heard a good metaphor just the other day about the gmat. Having a good GMAT score is like being really tall. Being tall isn't the reason you're in the NBA, but it certainly helps! So the GMAT is only one part of a larger story, and you haven't told us enough about yours to get advice.

The only person I've seen give percentage chances is Sandy http://poetsandquants.com/2011/08/04/do ... at-school/

He's pretty humorous, if quite cynical.

You do know your GMAT sore is not "decent" but exceptional, right? You should be very happy and you have a shot at any top tier school. What's important is your essays, recommenders, and work history now. You've gotten yourself into the door, now dance the magic dance!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern

Re: 750 (Q50 V40) Admissions Question / Tiny Rant [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 10:05
machichi wrote:
All applications are read holistically. I heard a good metaphor just the other day about the gmat. Having a good GMAT score is like being really tall. Being tall isn't the reason you're in the NBA, but it certainly helps! So the GMAT is only one part of a larger story, and you haven't told us enough about yours to get advice.

Thanks for the reply and the encouragement.

I will check to see if there is any more relevant part of the forum for the details / "chance me" kind of topic, and post the details here if I do not see one.

ETA: Posted in Peer Review section. Title "Profile Evaluation Would be Greatly Appreciated" (since I am not allowed to post links).

ETA 2: On the topic of GMAT experience, I can't really describe the disappointment / panic I felt when while merrily working my way through "hard" questions in the quant section, I suddenly encountered a question like (0,005)^3 = ? which indicated without a doubt that I got the previous question wrong.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Re: 750 (Q50 V40) Admissions Question / Tiny Rant [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 16:27
176 LSAT = V40 .. feeling a bit scared now lol

Anyway I can say for LSE. LSE is a graduate school and has more emphasis on undergrad institute and your grades vs Wharton, a business school more emphasis on EC's, W.E and undergrad+gmat more of as a check mark
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: 750 (Q50 V40) Admissions Question / Tiny Rant [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 16:32
quixef wrote:
ETA 2: On the topic of GMAT experience, I can't really describe the disappointment / panic I felt when while merrily working my way through "hard" questions in the quant section, I suddenly encountered a question like (0,005)^3 = ? which indicated without a doubt that I got the previous question wrong.

Actually, you can't tell that for sure. Scattered throughout the test are random "testing" questions used to evaluate their difficulty for use on future tests.

I find it hard to believe it would drop from a really difficult question to something like that. But who knows and at this point, who cares! :)

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Re: 750 (Q50 V40) Admissions Question / Tiny Rant   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2012, 16:32