Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General
Schools:MIT LGO (Admitted), Harvard (Admitted))
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: 750 (Q50, V41) [#permalink]
Kudos
First of all Congratulations to babyif19 on such a great score.
One thing I find puzzling is that I scored the exact same breakup -- Q50 (93%) and V41(92%) -- but, my total score is 740. Does anyone have an explanation. I took my test on Dec 17th 2009. btw. My AWA is 6.

Here's my story, albeit very briefly.
I
- Studied extensively from OG 11 and 12.
- Went over all questions from the 6 tests from ManhattanGMAT at least once.
- Went over all 700-800 level questions from the 6 tests from ManhattanGMAT at least thrice at intervals of a week to a couple of weeks. I did this to remember the errors I had committed. I think it's important to know not just what is correct but also what can go wrong. Most were mistakes related to overlooking key elements and I realized that it's very important to read the questions clearly and calmly (without rushing to do the calculations).
- Made extensive notes; I must have gone over these at least 6-7 times. These were condensed versions of stuff I found on the forums and in books.
- Made notes on the structure of the essays (for AWA) and some key terms that I though I should use for a better flow.

Additionally, I also did all of my scratch work on the test simulation booklet, same as the one used in the tests. At the test center there was a person who was snorting quite frequently, causing a lot of distraction for me. I think a very important aspect of the GMAT tests is pacing. In my initial tests, I was doing very poorly with timing and was paying a heavy price for scrambling towards the end of the test. After working a bit on my pacing, my scores started getting much better. My MGMAT scores: 680, 690, 710, 730, 730, 760. My GMATPrep scores were: 750, 770, 760
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Congrats! Looks like our study strategies were quite similar - but you might have studied more! I definitely did not do the 700-800 problems three times.

As for the score, I think although we answered same numbers of questions correctly, I might have done more questions correctly on the questions that weighed higher. Manhattan GMAT practice exams gave a good example on how each question is from a different score level. It was probably a matter of one or two questions.

You have done better than me on the AWA.

Merry Christmas and Congrats again!

Originally posted by babyif19 on 24 Dec 2009, 17:11.
Last edited by babyif19 on 25 Dec 2009, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Send PM
babyif19 wrote:
So, my stomach was crying out loud when I was taking the verbal session. The person next to me started typing loudly when I was on question #20? Concentrate, I told myself. Tip of the pen is not working well. I almost panicked. Just got get through this. 1 minute and 47 seconds left and I was on question #39. When I clicked on accepting my score, my hands were shaking and my eyes were closed.

I was so nervous on the math session I had no idea what I was reading at one point. You might too.

I did a lot of preparation for this test. I figure most of the people reading this is feeling what I was feeling a few weeks ago when I was reading someone else' tips. I will keep it simple.

Materials:
1.OG OG OG
2. Manhattan GMAT books + practice exams. Best by far - hands down. The tests are known to be hard on the quants. I did all 6 of them and stopped at the 7th one because the questions started to repeat. ( my scores were 650, 700, 680, 720, 760, 700 and 730)
3. GMATclub was really helpful on the math preparation. I did about 7 sets during the last two weeks before the test.
4. I did some misc books but they can be dangerous and misleading. I did not benefit much from Kaplan (too expensive and not very helpful) or Princeton review (too easy)

Tips:
1)Use a log file to track your progress and review to make sure you understand why you did them wrong. If you cannot figure out, google it or join discussion in a forum.
2) Quality over quantity.
3) Mocking tests are crucial towards the end of your preparation. I did the two prep tests from GMAC one (710) at a month and a half before and the other one (730) at a week before the test.
4) Practice on your essay writings early on. I started two weeks before the test and freaked out - it seemed like I tended to go over time on the argument one ( I fixed it by writing the opening paragraph and conclusion first before filling out the supporting ideas on the test.). Use the template offered on this forum by the Chineseburned.

Little things:
1) Go to the test center a few days before the real test. Make sure you know where the test center is located in the building so you park close to the entrance. ( at least have an idea - you can still choose to park far and walk a bit to calm yourself)
2) Eat plain food the night before the test.
3) Take a nyquil if you really cannot sleep the night before and make sure you sleep enough.
4) Bring a banana or two to eat during the test. No tea or coffee to make your hands shake or go to the bathroom all the time
5)Take 5 -6 minutes during the break - they need to scan your palm vain to let you in. I was late for the first break and lost 2 minutes for math. =(
6) Breathe and believe in yourself.

Make sure you have moral support from your friends, who are understanding that you have to take a break from them to prepare for the test. And they will encourage you along the way.

I studied for 4 months and worked full time.

Again, best luck to all of you who are studying for the exam.

Congrats! Thank you for sharing for experience. How far in advance would you suggest practicing AWA?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
I would say at least 3 weeks prior to the test if you can. I started the second last week and it was definitely overwhelming. The fear for AWA on top of the regular parts of the test will drive you crazy and less efficient. Definitely practice writing both types (analysis of an issue and analysis of an argument).

Check the AWA session in this forum - follow a template. You may be a great writer but you have to finish an essay in 30 minutes and score well. So you might be nervous about running out of time and/or running out of ideas.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
babyif19,

congrats...
GMAT clubbers are peaking in Dec... awesome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
babyif19,

Congrats on great scores and thanks for debrief!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:UCLA, INSEAD
Send PM
I'm in the middle of preparing right now. I appreciate your advice!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Congrats
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:UCLA, INSEAD
Send PM
Excellent score! Good job!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Congrats. And thanks for sharing your experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Excellent score. Congrats!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
congrats and thanks for the debrief.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Congrats!

4 months time for 750 is good
GMAT Club Bot