Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750 (Quant: 49/89%, Verbal: 44/97%, AWA: 6)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 4 years - Engineer
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

750 (Quant: 49/89%, Verbal: 44/97%, AWA: 6) [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 14:35
Hey everyone, this was the first time I took the GMAT officially and my results are

750 (Quant: 49/89%, Verbal: 44/97%, AWA: 6).

I used the following books:

Kaplan Premier (The GMAT "bible"): This book is good on math, AWA, and the reading comprehension. I wouldn't depend on it for sentence correction, it is VERY lacking.

Barron's: DO NOT do the diagnostic exams, they are useless and full of mistakes. But, it is surprisingly good at AWA and sentence correction.

Kaplan 800: Good book for the hardest problems.

Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction: I'd call this book the sentence correction "bible". I have not run across anything better for SC.

Manhattan GMAT Reading Comprehension: Similar to the Kaplan approach, except a bit more detailed. Pretty good resource.

Official GMAT software: The two practice tests are real exams and very valuable.

I'm an engineer and I was surprised to see that I didn't get a higher quantitative score, but I think that was because I completely stopped studying for the math portion to get my verbal portion up. As you guys may have seen, its very easy to get a high score on the quantitative but unless your verbal score is high, its hard to get above a 700 on the GMAT.

I studied for about 2 months pretty seriously. I'd say I averaged about 1-2 hrs a day for 2 months. My initial score on the Kaplan practice exam was 640.

I didn't practice for the AWA until literally the night before the exam. I read the AWA sections on Kaplan and Barron books and wrote 2 essays from an actual GMAT exam. If you follow the approach in these books, you should get a good score. I've always been a fairly good writer, but I'm by no means extraordinary. I was expecting a 5 or so, but I got a 6 For each essay, be sure to give 3 reasons which support your position.

My exam had a few tricky math problems and I almost ran out of time, which is something that had NEVER happened to me before. Its important to know when to just give up on a problem and how to keep calm.

For the verbal portion, I suggest practicing a lot. You can read every single critical reasoning and reading comprehension sections of every prepetory book, but without adequate practice you won't do so well. I've solved so many questions that after a while I've started noticing patterns in almost every verbal question. It became automatic, I didn't have to necessarily understand the passage or the argument. For example, I could just look at the passage and notice the assumption and point out its flaws. I never overthought it, if you find yourself thinking "well what if," stop, and go with your first instinct. If you didnt think it would help answer the question the first time, then it is probably wrong.

This was the highest score I've received, even on practice exams. I really suggest keeping away from Princeton Review tests because from what I hear they tend to be fairly easy. If you want above a 700, get the Kaplan books and the manhattan GMAT SC book.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 16:44
Awesome Score.. Congrats Man !

"I studied for about 2 months pretty seriously. I'd say I averaged about 1-2 hrs a day for 2 months"
Contradictory sentence according to me :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 17:25
Great score, now the real fun begins. Good luck with your applications.

Come on over to the applicant forum and introduce ourself.

Last edited by riverripper on 05 Oct 2007, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 19:25
Congrats !!! It is an excellent score.

Regards

Subhen

Intern
Intern
WE 1: 4 years - Engineer

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 23:11
rainbow wrote:
Awesome Score.. Congrats Man !

"I studied for about 2 months pretty seriously. I'd say I averaged about 1-2 hrs a day for 2 months"
Contradictory sentence according to me :wink:

Haha,

Well yeah I realized that when I read other pple's posts. Personally I said that I studied for 1-2 hrs on average per day was bc usually I would study once every 2-3 days for about 4-5 hrs. So it averaged about 1-2 hrs per day. I was working at the same time, so I couldnt keep my attention on the GMAT every day.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2007, 06:33
Congrats!! Thats a great score!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2007, 09:45
Congratulations for the good score!!