Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750 - What I did right (and wrong)....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

750 - What I did right (and wrong).... [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2006, 12:54
My studying went essentially like this (about 7 weeks altogether):

1) Read through entire Kaplan 2005 book, did all the problems (didn't sit down and write the essays). This really familiarizes you with the format.

2) Went through the entire Kaplan CD. I was banging my head against the table but I was trying to learn through osmosis and pace myself.

3) Did two of the three (my CD ran out of questions and wouldn't run my fourth) CAT tests on the Kaplan CD. Got about 680 each time. Knew from this forum that Kaplan's test were harder, wanted to walk through the fire upfront and see what my weaknesses were.

4) Went through the entire GMAT 800 book (this one is supposedly made up of all hard questions - unfortunately, many of them also appear in reviews and tests on the Kaplan CD, which they need to exorcise).

5) Downloaded the PowerPrep software, did ALL the problems on it, then took both test, got 740 & 750.

6) Took the last Kaplan test, got a 750. At that point I stopped worrying.

I booked the test on Feb 3rd in the middle of this routine, couldn't get a workable slot till the 22nd. I ran out of useful practice material with over two weeks to go. So, I started reading The Bedford Handbook from freshman composition to really nail down grammar and sentence structure, and let the math go.

I should note that I got a 1550 on the SAT, 800 in the math section (these tests are NOT proxies for intelligence or professional ability, but I am good at standardized tests). So I was a bit lulled into complacency on the math even though the practice tests told me that I was more along on the verbal. I ended up in the 99th% for verbal, 86th% in math (well enough into the verbal to squeak into the 99th% overall).

Anyway, I think the regiment I went through, for someone with 2-4 months to prepare (someone who is going to take a year to prepare or make a full-time job of this can afford to study more), should work for the most people and would be a good substitute for a prep course, unless your personality is such that you need alot of structure. If I could do it again, I would have split the last couple of days between the grammar review I did (it actually helped and everyone interested in an MBA should be able to write well anyway) and some math questions from the Official Guide (I bought it, pretty much didn't use it at all). If you're not a strong test-taker, budget a month or so after all this to do questions in your weaker area, at a slow pace.

Good luck everyone![/i]
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2006, 21:13
Congratulations! And thanks for sharing with us. It'll help lots of us here. Good luck to your applications!

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2006, 22:21
Congratulations :-D

Very good score, thanks for sharing your experience :)

All the very best for application process! :good
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 14:06
Patricia,

I STRONGLY recommend that you delete the last part of that posting and remove your name. GMAC takes cheating very seriously (people have been criminally prosecuted). I would be glad to help you, but I work full time and live in New York. Also, people who get the highest scores aren't necessarily the best tutors - I have a BSBA in Finance (grammar mistakes on assignments were heavily penalized in my courses), did very well in the SATs, and did not prepare nearly as much as the people who are really motivated to get a high score. You should seek out the people in this forum who really put effort into getting a top score and follow their prescriptions (i.e. someone who went from 600 to 750). Best of luck.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 15:04
This is an old time prankster who roamed not only this club but other sites as well. Please disregard his messages as I have already banned him/her.

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 18:24
That's sad. What's their scam?
  [#permalink] 13 Mar 2006, 18:24