Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750 with low quant. Retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

750 with low quant. Retake? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2014, 16:25
Greetings!

I took the GMAT yesterday and received a 750 (Q45, V48, IR8, don't have my essay score yet). I am quite disappointed with my dismal 66th percentile quant score, as I'm an engineer and also have an MS in applied stats. Honestly, I was pretty concerned about the quant section going in to the test because I am much more comfortable working problems according to theory and I'm not so good at backsolving/testing/seeing tricks. I think I psyched myself out. About halfway through the quant section, I knew based on the types of questions that I was getting that I was in the 49-51 range, but then everything went south. I hit a question that I didn't know how to set up and I panicked. Just straight up panicked. I probably missed about 5-7 in a row after that, and then easy questions started popping up and I knew it was all over. I'm generally a poor test taker and I knew there was a possibility that a scenario such as this would unfold, as it happened to me a few times on the MGMAT CATs (but not on GMATPrep! :x )

Is it worth a retake? Is this type of split going to be a limiting factor in admissions?

Thanks for your insight.

EDIT: Apologies, as I am new to this forum and bb has already made several excellent posts about this topic. Thank you.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: HBS '17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.72
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: 750 with low quant. Retake? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 17:43
No... I certainly wouldn't!
Intern
Intern

Re: 750 with low quant. Retake? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 08:49
Thank you for the thoughts bjb5228. I appreciate it.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 17

Re: 750 with low quant. Retake? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 09:04
I'd also vote no on the retake.

Your 3.7 GPA in engineering and applied math courses should more than compensate imo.
Intern
Intern

Re: 750 with low quant. Retake? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 09:35
That's the way I'm leaning, mainly because I need to go into lock-down on some applications.

I'm sure that many others have, unfortunately, experienced the same shock upon receipt of their scores. I was pretty disappointed. I was anticipating about +4 on quant, but about -2 on verbal. I don't have any issues with real-world quantitative work, but then again that's not what the GMAT quant is testing, is it?
Re: 750 with low quant. Retake?   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2014, 09:35