Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: 760 GMAT but crappy undergrad school-which MBA programs are realistic? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Kelzie01 wrote:
Hi Admission Consultants!

I'd appreciate some advice on which schools to target. Also do all of the Admission Consultants on gmatclub offer a free phone consultation? I'm halfway considering working with a consultant but not sure how much money I want to drop.

My stats:
    female
    white
    US citizen living in Colorado
    CPA (passed all four parts on the first try-might only be impressive to other CPAs)
    undergrad GPA: 3.8 (magna cum laude)
    undergrad school: National University (basically unranked, private, not for profit, see explanation)
    work experience: 6 years, four in renewables, consistent promotions, supervisory experience in the past
    GMAT: 760; Q48, V47, IR7 (just took it today-little bummed cause my top CAT was a 780 with a V51)
    extracurricular: decent-treasurer for a 550 unit HOA for the last three years; elected official for my precinct, serving a two year term; part of team that organized a 300+ person rally for a current presidential candidate

I've been working in renewable energy for the last four years. My short term goal is to be a VP of Finance or a Controller at a developer with a lot of renewable projects (or just a straight up renewable developer). Long term goal is a CFO at the same.

Explanation for advanced age and crappy school: my husband was active duty Marine Corps. It's really hard to finish school when you're moving around every couple years (I am sooo not looking forward to getting transcripts for five different schools forwarded during the application process). The base where I was finally able to finish was in the middle of nowhere, California. National University has a satellite program on the base. However, I think (hope) I can spin this into a fairly convincing optional essay on the skills I was able to acquire because of our lifestyle. For instance, he was called up early to Afghanistan during his last deployment because the team he was was replacing was half taken out by a rogue Afghan police officer. We had just found out I was pregnant. He came back a week before our daughter's first birthday. I worked the entire time while solo parenting a newborn. That was also when I passed all my CPA exams. I learned a) some serious time management skills and b) some great techniques to cope with stress. Also how to function on very little sleep!

My target schools:

I really like Darden and Tuck (they both have cool energy programs, but Tuck more so. Actually started by a client of my current employer. And very family friendly). I would also really like to attend LBS but there is NO WAY I can go there without a scholarship. From stalking the forums, I've learned (whether true or not) that schools are more likely to give you a scholarship if you are both competitive and applying to other comparative schools. So I was initially thinking of Wharton as well, but now that I didn't get a 780 I'm not sure if that's reasonable (if it ever was?). Kelley is my backup since it has an online program, it's a decent school, and I don't have to move my family or take out significant new loans-a serious consideration.

So. Are Darden, Tuck, LBS and Wharton realistic, with Kelley as a safety? Any other schools I should consider? I prefer East Coast but not NYC.

Thanks for any advice you can offer, sorry if I was wordy. Let me know if you need any more information. I think I've included everything you consultants normally ask for (see? Stalker).

Thank you for your detailed post. Answering each of your questions separately:

Current target schools: If you carefully craft your application (something definitely possible), and use the optional essays as mentioned above, you will be in good shape. Your age won't help you but your stats are really strong and Darden and Tuck are definitely good choices for you. I could see Wharton and LBS potentially working out depending on other profile elements. I don't see you going to Kelley to be honest.

Other schools: I recommend looking at Sloan and Yale SOM.

Consultations: I offer a free consultation and I would be happy to chat with you about my process. Send me a note: scott@personalmbacoach.com

I look forward to talking!

Best,
Scott
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: 760 GMAT but crappy undergrad school-which MBA programs are realistic? [#permalink]
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your detailed post. First off - congratulations on a KILLER GMAT! Given the title of your post, I'd like to first say that your UG school won't keep you out of your dream MBA program, especially after seeing your accomplishments.

The bigger hurdle is going to be your age and experience. The key to this issue is actually to address "why now?". The reasons you listed below are important as well, and of course we'll take all that into account when crafting your story. However, we need to frame your story that lays out your career path to date and draw a logical path from where you've been to where you want to go.

I thin you have a great shot at some of your target programs. Scholarships are always a bit of a toss-up, but given your credentials, I think it's time to commit to a set of schools and put in the work between now and September to get the results you're looking for. Let us know if you'd like to chat live about how we can help!
GMAT Club Bot