Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: [1]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 680 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Re: 760 (Q47, V50) - 99th %ile [#permalink]
Congrats on the great score !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
matt3030,

V50 - that's one of the highest verbal scores I have seen in a long time! Congratulations!!!

Did you use any particular strategy for the RC & CR questions? Are there particular patterns that you generally look out for in the RC & CR questions, especially in the wrong answers?

As for the quant portion are the GMAT prep questions/OG representative of the questions in the real GMAT? Have you prepared any flashcards/notes that you might be willing to share with us?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
That's an awesome Verbal score. Congrats!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
matt3030 wrote:
So how did I go from an expected 700-720 to a 760? I focussed on the test. About 5 days before the actual test (which was yesterday, Aug 4th), I realised that it's not just a matter of how many questions you get right, but also what sequence your right/wrong answers come in, and how long you take to answer. With this in mind, I focussed on the clock a little harder - no more spending 6 minutes agonising over a question I couldn't quite get, but that I KNEW I could answer! I had a couple of these instances in the M GMAT CATs, and I could see in the report afterwards where I spent too long on a question, and hurried through the next few to get back on track.

Great debrief. Can you provide any more detail regarding the strategies related to focusing on the test?

When you say that you focused on the sequence of right/wrong, do you mean early in the test versus later? Or, are you strictly talking about taking too long on one question, and then rushing the next few questions in order to compensate.

The positive attitude -- agree 100%. Must better to think you are headed for an 800 and end up disappointed then believe you are headed for a 500 and end up pleasantly surprised.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
great job on the test. good tips on keeping positive thoughts - mental state is a huge part of the test. best of luck on your apps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.59
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
congrats on your excellent score! good luck with your application process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Congrats on such a great score . V50 is always my dream score . Can you suggest something to improve . I am very weak in English

Posted from my mobile device
Given Kudos:
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

akaydee wrote:
matt3030,

V50 - that's one of the highest verbal scores I have seen in a long time! Congratulations!!!

Did you use any particular strategy for the RC & CR questions? Are there particular patterns that you generally look out for in the RC & CR questions, especially in the wrong answers?

As for the quant portion are the GMAT prep questions/OG representative of the questions in the real GMAT? Have you prepared any flashcards/notes that you might be willing to share with us?

To be honest, I did not really study that much for the verbal section in the last couple of weeks. The only practice I was doing was the CATs, where my score was good enough to warrant not studying it further. Prior to that, I focussed on sentence correction: in the UK, we aren't taught grammar at school, so I had to learn that from scratch! In the actual GMAT, I finished the verbal section with about 20 minutes left on the clock.

One tip for CR that I found useful though is to pre-phrase your answers. Make sure you understand the mechanics of the prompt, understand what you're being asked (eg. hidden assumption), and then try to figure out the answer before looking at the options.

masland wrote:
matt3030 wrote:
So how did I go from an expected 700-720 to a 760? I focussed on the test. About 5 days before the actual test (which was yesterday, Aug 4th), I realised that it's not just a matter of how many questions you get right, but also what sequence your right/wrong answers come in, and how long you take to answer. With this in mind, I focussed on the clock a little harder - no more spending 6 minutes agonising over a question I couldn't quite get, but that I KNEW I could answer! I had a couple of these instances in the M GMAT CATs, and I could see in the report afterwards where I spent too long on a question, and hurried through the next few to get back on track.

Great debrief. Can you provide any more detail regarding the strategies related to focusing on the test?

When you say that you focused on the sequence of right/wrong, do you mean early in the test versus later? Or, are you strictly talking about taking too long on one question, and then rushing the next few questions in order to compensate.

The positive attitude -- agree 100%. Must better to think you are headed for an 800 and end up disappointed then believe you are headed for a 500 and end up pleasantly surprised.

Right, focussing on the test strategies. I read a thread on here where people tried to reverse engineer the scoring algorithm, trying to determine whether one should focus on the first ten or last ten or whatever. IMO, that's a pretty futile exercise. Even if you do figure out some general patterns, there's no guarantee that your test will conform to those patterns. Moreover, you're going to expend a fair amount of brain power on meta level test taking.

When I read through my reports from the MGMAT CATs, I found that really helpful: they give you the difficulty level of the question, and then you can see how your response affected your score. I found that long strings of wrong answers hurt my score the most in those practices. My strategy was exactly how you characterised it: don't spend too long on any one question, thus getting flustered and having to rush the next few; always double check your answer before you submit.

Of course, the best strategy is the simplest: get all the answers right! :D If only it was that simple...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Does it mean that taking long time for a question and putting wrong answer will badly affect the score than guessing it within 2 min regardless of whether it is right or wrong?
Given Kudos:
tiruraju wrote:
Does it mean that taking long time for a question and putting wrong answer will badly affect the score than guessing it within 2 min regardless of whether it is right or wrong?

No, I don't think so. I don't think that the scoring algorithm takes into account how long you spend in answering a question. I could be wrong, but I have not heard that it does.

What I mean is that - for me - the benefit gained from spending 6 minutes on one question is lower than the cost of having to hurry through the next few questions to make up for lost time. You can get some isolated questions wrong and still get a high score. What will really hurt your score (I think), are long strings of incorrect answers. For me, these long strings of incorrect answers tended to occur when I was rushing to recover lost time. Looking at it this way, the trade off for me was clear.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ACCA
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:IMD, Insead, LBS, IE, Cambridge, Oxford
GPA: 4.74 out of 5
Send PM
great score!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Nice score. Anything of note about the test itself? Any oddball questions or things you haven't seen/heard before?
Given Kudos:
No, nothing too out of the ordinary to report.
Given Kudos:
Also, I scored a 5.5 in the AWA, which seems pretty reasonable. I did not practice too much for this. Do admissions folk give this much weight in the overall application?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
 Q49  V35 GMAT 2: 720  Q49  V39
Send PM
congratulations on the great score.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder