Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 13:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

760 -Q49, V44- My GMAT Progress Diary

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS
Bipolarbear,

I haven't really followed this thread, but reading a few of your posts it seems to me you have put in a lot of hard work.

Since I haven't taken the test yet, I can't really comment on how to do it. But will say, based on past experiences, just go and enjoy the ride. Do not worry about what your score might be, whether it's a 500, 600 or 700. You know, you are good enough for 750+, and you did the best you could during the preparation. So, now go and take your best shot, and let it be.

PS. I like to run, and would never hesitate to go for a run if body permits it. However, initially when I started running, going anything over 2 or 3 miles felt like 'work'. But now, every yard, every mile I run, I enjoy every moment of it. So my advice, will be just enjoy the ride...don't worry too much about the result.

Good luck, and my best wishes!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 11:53
Haha, thanks for the wishes and advice! =)

Anyway, my original plan was to take my final fresh CAT (MGMAT #6) today and GmatPrep #2 on Friday before my D-Day on Tuesday. I tried to simulate the experience today as much as possible. My test next week is scheduled for noon. I didn't want to wake up at 10:00am as I would on test day but chose to wake up at 8:00am to get in a couple of hours in the morning. I guess it's not an exact simulation oh well.

I decided that this time I would use a foreign desktop computer instead of my laptop with which I usually take my CATs. I went to the store in the morning to buy some performance enhancing drugs (i.e. 5 hour energy) in accordance with GMAC's substance abuse policy and a banana, then headed to my alma mater's library computer lab to sit in for the exam. I approached the security guard at the desk and asked him what room the GMATs were being given and he gave me a quizzical look (okay I didn't really ask him, but I should have :lol: ). Got all pumped and sat down, opened up the MGMAT site, and THE SITE WAS DOWN!! Gah... I was so pissed and just studied notes for the next 30 minutes. Luckily the site came back up soon...

I figured it'd be good to finally do an AWA to get ready for the 4-hour nightmare. I thought they went fairly well... I actually ran out of time mid-sentence editing the second one resulting in a typo (i think more entertainment became mententertainment or something), but whatever. If you're really bored and want to comment on them they're here mgmat-cat-awa-82716.html#p620026 . I figure being a native speaker I should at least get a 5.5...

After the 1 hour AWA I gave myself 8 minutes, went to the bathroom, and took 1/2 my bottle of (mental) steroids. I had been reviewing my gmatclub and mgmat quant questions pretty intensely the past couple of days and I promised myself that I would REALLY concentrate on every question. Whereas before I would just skip over and guess on an MGMAT question that seemed too difficult (reasoning that it would take too much time), this time I really tried to solve every single one and double checked. I kept a good pace using MGMAT's 15-minute interval strategy and ended up finishing with a couple of minutes left. I felt very confident as I only had to guess on 2 questions, 1 of which was an area of weakness (difficult prob. question, still need to review).

I took a look at the timer as I left the computer and forced myself to use the bathroom again, eat a banana (even though I wasn't hungry), and finished my 5-hour energy bottle. I was actually pretty excited at this point since I knew I did really well on quant and was looking forward to a high practice test score (lol... yes only a practice test score but whatever).

I had gone through a lot of sterny's gmatprep sc document so I was very confident with SCs. I know it's probably not the best idea to review hardcore SCs this late in the game but I figure they're an official source and I simply had to review them. Anyway, I got a couple of ridiculously difficult CRs halfway through and an RC with answer choices that I felt were identical. I also had a bit of trouble keeping time but luckily my last 6 or so questions were all SCs and I finished with like 20 seconds left...

Clicked on the score praying for a 750+ and was ecstatic when i saw Q51 V45 780! Woot. Pretty excited about this practice score since it was a fresh set and it was the first time I had hit Q51 (and I was complaining about never hitting 51 yesterday!). At the very least this gives me confidence that I'm capable of getting a 51.

Anyway, I figure I'll take the next couple of hours off and start reviewing later this evening. I'm on a silly high since I'm pretty happy with my result but it's only a practice test...

Random comment- Yesterday night I had a dream I got a 740 on my gmat... I don't know why but I was posting my debrief on gmatclub but couldn't damn remember my breakdown. It was driving me absolutely crazy... then I woke up. Yikes I'm going crazy :-D
Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 12:13
wow ... A 780 :shock: .. must have boosted your confidence real high :) ... way to go buddy .. u will surely do well .. 5 more days ... waiting to hear how ur GMATPrep would go
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 13:16
That's a really good score for an MGMAT CAT. Good job!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 13:17
wow! :-D

780's awesome, man!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 13:16
Dude, You are going to nail it man! Just calm down.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 13:27
go get 'em bear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 09:09
I reviewed my MGMAT CAT #6 and found out that a good majority of the questions were in the 600-700 level range, whereas 700-800 questions were much rarer. I thought that was strange because in the early tests I had gotten almost 100% 700-800 questions. I googled this and found out that MGMAT's CAT question base lacks a sufficient number of 700-800 level questions for those people who use them up during early CATs. So, the 780 is definitely inflated but whatever... I try to not let that bother me.

I took my final CAT today in gmatprep - gmatprep #2 retake. Opted to forgo the AWA session to save an hour of time. I've only practiced the AWA once, but I really don't think the stamina effect of that 1 hour will hurt me too much. Quant went pretty well and I made sure to be extremely careful on those DS questions. Ended up getting 2 wrong for a Q51. I got a repeat RC passage in Verbal which was slightly annoying but I ended up getting the same RC question wrong as I had last time. I also got 1 SC and 1 CR wrong, so a total of -3 for a V46. End result is a Q51 V46 for a 780, which is a good way to end my practice CATs.

I realized that a good amount of luck is involved in quant. Today I got a Q51 and none of the questions were particularly challenging. When I did gmatprep #1 I received 2 DS questions which even given 10 minutes each I doubt I could come up with the correct solution. I hope next Tuesday the questions are easy (please please...). Also, I really need to stop going over random DS questions on this forum. Yesterday I went through a bit of a panic attack when I got 3 DS questions from the gmatclub subforum wrong n a row. Those DS questions are friggin' tough and definitely don't help boost confidence.

I figure I'll keep reviewing stuff for the next two days. I still need to go over some CATs later today and still have some left-over gmatclub errors. I haven't started reviewing my gmatsuccess SCs. I was able to review my Sackmann errors yesterday and was very comfortable today seeing similar questions in gmatprep. Sackmann definitely did a good job of modeling question types as sometimes the official question is exactly the same with different numbers. Seeing similar questions definitely gives a huge confidence boost... no wonder Scoretop was so popular.

Study some more the next couple of days and keep reviewing mistakes until Sunday night. Monday the most I'll be doing is going over a couple of questions, and even then I'll limit my total time to less than 30 minutes. T-3 full days and hopefully after that I'll never have to look at another DS question again :-D
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 09:23
ur on a roll dude ... double 780 is too good :) ... did you dream about 740 again ? ;) or was it Megan Fox running around in your dream with DS questions written all over her body ? or was is it the 5 hour energy drink ? .. what is the secret man ? ... :) ...

Yes many questions on GMAT forums are demotivating for me too, I asked my ex-roomie who got a q51 and 740 in total, he strictly advised me not to get demotivated by GMAT forum questions as many of them post questions which are irrelevant or are of Indian Common Aptitude Test standards which is much much tougher than GMAT.

Anyways all the best for the weekend prep.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2009, 09:29
Megan Fox... mmm... yum
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 13:30
Last couple of days have been hectic. Didn't really get too much studying done because of random stuff that keeps happening in my life... sigh. I guess in a way that's good since it kept my mind off gmat for a couple of days. I studied for like hour today but got really bored. I think I'm ready for this test and want to get it over with.

Tomorrow I'll just be chilling. Don't think I could study any more even if I really wanted to.

Last edited by bipolarbear on 23 Aug 2009, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 14:11
Good luck man!
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 14:43
All the best dude ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 15:45
Good luck!

Waiting for your debrief :-D

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 00:24
Wish you a perfect score .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 10:40
Wish you good luck !!!

Keep trying no matter how hard it seems, it will get easier.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 11:04
Waiting to see your actual score..... Good luck with your exam.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 13:41
Good luck with your exam!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 18:58
Good luck buddy..
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard Business School, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 00:54
Good luck!!!
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800!   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2009, 00:54