Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

760 Q49 V47 Debrief

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

760 Q49 V47 Debrief [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 09:02
This post received
KUDOS
Hey!

Before starting my preparation I did some reading on GMAT Club and found the experiences quite helpful and fun to read. They gave me a first hint how my preparation should look like and what to read. Therefore, I would like to share my GMAT experience with you guys...

My Background

I am a 22 year old German business student and will graduate in 4 weeks. I would consider myself OK in math yet not on the level of an engineer or rocket scientist :wink: Yet in contrast, my english is quite bad. As a non-native speaker the verbal part gave me quite a hard time... I prepared while writing my Bachelor thesis, doing approximately 3 hours of preparation a day.

The Preparation

Even I scheduled my GMAT appointment 6 weeks ahead, I did not start preparing until 4 weeks before the test. First, I did the GMAT Prep 1 to see where my weak spots are and to get an understanding on "where I am". I got a 690, which was quite disappointing. Yet the split revealed that my quant score of 49 was ok but that (as expected) verbal was my main field to work on.

Following, I started to complete all questions in the Official Guide (both quant and verbal) in order to get a more comprehensive understanding of the patterns GMAT is testing. While doing this, I marked all the questions I got wrong and did them again one day later to really get them right. After completing the OG, it was quite clear that I am performing well on quant (except for inequalities), CR and RC but very bad on SC.

Verbal

Sentence correction was pretty tough for me, because as a non-native speaker had problems with most of the idioms. Of course I heard them before yet often two answers sounded "correct" to me. Therefore, I ordered the MGMAT SC book, which gave me great insights. I especially liked that the book also includes tasks where you have to correct sentences by hand, which matched perfectly with my style of learning.

After completing MGMAT SC, I did all SC questions in the OG Verbal Review and again marked all questions I got wrong. In comparison to the OG, my results were much better. Subsequently, I did the OG again and got about 95% right.

Quant

Since my quant score on the first GMAT Prep CAT was ok, I did not want to spent too much time on quant. As for verbal, I ordered the MGMAT inequalities book, which gave me quite some insights. Nevertheless, I would not consider it as useful as the SC guide since about 80% of the content is very basic.

After finishing the MGMAT Guide, I did all questions in the OG Quant Review and again marked all wrong questions. In the first run I got 97% right which gave me quite a boost of confidence.

CAT

Parallel to doing the OG books, I did two CATs every week for the first three weeks of preparation and one CAT every day during the week before the test. I would consider the CATs the most valuable part of my preparation. Especially the MGMAT CATs gave me the opportunity to familiarize with the concept of getting harder questions when performing well. They further are a great pool of questions and since the quant section is harder than the real GMAT it is quite a good preparation for being confident on the test day. Below you can see my test scores on the various CATs:

CAT - Total - Quant - Verbal

Prep 1 - 690 - 49 - 33
Prep 2 - 740 - 48 - 44
MGMAT 1 - 650 - 44 - 34
MGMAT 2 - 750 - 48 - 45
MGMAT 3 - 720 - 43 - 45
MGMAT 4 - 730 - 48 - 42
MGMAT 5 - 740 - 49 - 43
MGMAT 6 - 730 - 50 - 40
MGMAT 1 - 770 - 50 - 45
MGMAT 2 - 740 - 50 - 41
MGMAT 3 - 760 - 49 - 44
MGMAT 4 - 740 - 50 - 41
MGMAT 5 - 750 - 50 - 42
MGMAT 6 - 740 - 51 - 45
Prep 2 - 780 - 50 - 48

Test Day

The day before the test, I was actually quite nervous which is very uncommon for me. Normally, when writing an exam in university for example, I know all parameters and know approximately how I am going to score. I've further been a bit under pressure because most of my friends scored 760 or higher.

During the actual test, quant went well except for one geometry question. Nevertheless, I finished 10 minutes ahead and started to relax a bit. Verbal was also ok, yet i got 5 reading comprehensions and finished 25 mins ahead. Therefore, I was almost 100% sure that I messed up everything.

I ended up with 760 in total, disappointing 49 in quant and 47 in verbal (which i did not expect :shock: ).

Last Remarks

1. Do as many CATs as possible
2. Mark all questions you get wrong and do them until you get them right
3. Do not contribute too much time

I hope it will help you throughout your preparation!

Alexander
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

Re: 760 Q49 V47 Debrief [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 09:06
Congratz for your great score. The result is truly amazing with 1-month preparation. Can you explain more about this "Do not contribute too much time"??

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

Re: 760 Q49 V47 Debrief [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 09:06
Congratulations on that score and it is remarkable you did it within a very short time. I can also see the value in doing as many CATs as possible. Thanks for your input
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: 760 Q49 V47 Debrief [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 09:11
hellscream wrote:
Congratz for your great score. The result is truly amazing with 1-month preparation. Can you explain more about this "Do not contribute too much time"??

Since I only bought the official guides and two MGMAT books, my only resources of questions were these books and the MGMAT CATs... After approximately 2,5 weeks I finished all questions and since then concentrated on only doing the questions again which were marked in my error log. This took me about three days.

Therefore, three weeks would have been enough. I know that this is not generalizable (does this word exist in english? :lol: ), yet I belief that doing 4 weeks of 3 hours a day is more effective than 12 weeks of 1 hour a day. This is what I meant with "Do not contribute too much time".
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

Re: 760 Q49 V47 Debrief [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 09:16
Ok I got it now :).
"i got 5 reading comprehensions and finished 25 mins ahead. Therefore, I was almost 100% sure that I messed up everything. " :D
Wish you best luck on your bachelor thesis and your master application.

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-09-2011

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: 760 Q49 V47 Debrief [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 03:39
Hi Alexander,

Firstly hearty congratulations !!!
Wow on awesome score.

I have my GMAT in next two weeks.
Had given it earlier and scored a devastating 530 score :-( on dec 17,2011.
I had few issues, with which I could not prepare well.

Recently in march I wrote a GMAT prep scored lower than 530 , a 490.
Then I decided to postpone my exam from march 28th to may 1st seeking permissions from universities for time.
Yes, am still applying for 2012 intake :-)

Last ten days ago I suppose took a Mgmat cat and scored 600. Q44 V30

Am not so happy with that as prior to my December GMAT exam was always scoring 580-600 in Mgmat cats

I had not completely done OG last time , which is a fault.

Since last week have almost done half of OG on all sections except rc section

Am planning for GMAT prep tomorrow to understand where I stand!

Need some inputs thou
I am almost on your approach doing OG still I am yet to redo the wrong ones that I noted during my practise!

I need 700+ score , have 15 days left.
Pls advice.

Regards

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: 760 Q49 V47 Debrief [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 03:44
Oops sorry!

Missed out on adding that I have v weak rc accuracy :-(

And ds on quants :-(

My question is only OG is sufficient?
I mean if I keep redoing the ones we get wrong then we know the answers would not that bias the way we solve

Will b able to solve questions on real GMAT ? And score high :-d

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: 760 Q49 V47 Debrief [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 05:06
Hey!

I don't think that I have the experience to give you advice on how to score higher... The only thing I can tell you is how I would handle the situation.

You mentioned that your DS skills could be improved. Starting from this I would complete all DS questions in the OG and the OG Quant Review, including redoing all wrong ones until you get ALL correct. Then I would do ALL MGMAT CATs, since they have a higher difficulty than the real GMAT and are a great preparation. I would further recommend you to redo the ones you did wrong after every CAT and in the end again.

For RC I have no real advice. I think RC comes with reading english texts, which is quite hard to improve in 15 days. But still, I would do the same as for DS.

Concerning your question if OG is enough. I don't think that its enough. It rather builds a solid base, yet for scoring above 700, MGMAT is a great resource and complements the OG content very well.

I hope this answer might help you a bit.

Best,
Alexander
Intern
Intern

Re: 760 Q49 V47 Debrief [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 05:42
That was cool :)

Thanks lot for the inputs.

Actually i have MGMAT guides , but i donot have sufficient time to go through them completely now.

Will take maximum mgmat cats and do OG as you suggested.

Thanks again!

:)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 12

Re: 760 Q49 V47 Debrief [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 11:41
congratulations. That is quite a good score in verbal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

Re: 760 Q49 V47 Debrief   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2012, 11:41