Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

760 (Q50 V42) in 2 weeks and had to go to locker durng quant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 4

760 (Q50 V42) in 2 weeks and had to go to locker durng quant [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 01:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hey all,

So I decided to try the GMAT to see if I could put it on my résumé for internships (I'm in undergrad). I gave myself pretty much between Dec 20th and today (jan 3) to prep. I read all the MGMAT quant guides one per day, doing the problems along the way. I read articles on GMATClub for strategies and alternative solution methodologies. I made sure I understood the concepts and could do the included problems. My dog broke my laptop and then my iPad (puppies!) in the last week so I had to prep from the library and my phone. Did only GMATprep and got a 590 in the first try and a 710 the day before the test.

I also watched khan academy vids for his solutions to og 12 questions, but only the last ten qs in each section. He takes a long time but I saw some traps.

During the test I think I didn't do we'll on IR since I didn't prep for it and timing was an issue.

Awa I received a 6.0

During quant right after taking three mins on a q I got told my cell phone was going off in the locker and had to shut it off. I ran and did that but took at least a minute!!

I had to almost guess the last three questions but one of them was a very tough data sufficiency and I solved it in less than 10 seconds (I don't recommend this but I'm used to quick decision making). I think i might have overthought it if I had taken longer.

I wonder what I would have scored if that hadn't happened?

Also, I slacked on verbal. I had 8 minutes remaining when I finished and could have done better, I'm certain. I was sure I had screwed up quant, but you just never know.

Anyway, thank goodness for the experimental questions and mgmats smart guessing techniques! There were three tough data sufficiencies that I knew would take too long to complete but the trap was so plainly obvious I got them by thinking like a test maker!

Knowing the fundamentals is crucial. I saw problems completely unfamiliar to me and solved them through the MGMAT foundation theory more than anything.

Anyway, besides the flukishness of my score, I do encourage to review even the theory you think you'd mastered in high school because small things can bite you!

Last edited by xolin on 03 Aug 2013, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 760 (Q50 V42) in 2 weeks and had to go to locker durng quant [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 19:10
nice score

what are the MGMAT smart guessing techniques? and what are some traps to be aware of in DS?
Re: 760 (Q50 V42) in 2 weeks and had to go to locker durng quant   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2013, 19:10