Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 00:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

760 (Q50, V44) Debrief

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
760 (Q50, V44) Debrief [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 10:18
Further to: http://gmatclub.com/forum/760-q50-v-44-couldn-t-mark-last-quant-question-122378.html

Hi Guys, after much procrastination, here is the debrief:

Exam Date: 26th October
Registered on: 15th July

Total Study time: 3 months, but most prep was back-loaded. Started serious prep around mid September. However, in my opinion one needs around 3 months of time (with date taken).

Section Strategies:

Quant: I just did the (hard) questions from OG 12. I was easily scoring 51 in most of my tests except for one where i scored 49. My quant is strong, so I didn't need to do much. In retrospect (50 :( ), I should have practiced more.

Verbal
This is where I put most of my efforts. I used the following resources: MGMAT Sentence Correction Guide, Powerscore Critical Reasoning Bible & OG 12 & Verbal Guide 2 for practice. YOU NEED THESE AND THESE ONLY TO CRACK THE GMAT VERBAL. Honestly, nothing else.

Sentence Correction: MGMAT is a really really good book. Finish every chapter sincerely and do the in-chapter exercises by following the instructions. Each chapter has instructions before the in-chapter exercises and the OG practice questions. It is essential to follow the instructions and do what is asked. For example, if the instructions ask you to identify the parallel markers in each sentence, then you Damn well should do that. The point is that you might be able to mark the correct answer to a given question just because it feels right. However, if you do so without understanding the concept, then you have just wasted the question. Do not let a single question go waste.

Critical Reasoning
: Powerscore is the last name here. Just read the whole book and solve all questions. Follow the instructions, simple as that.

Reading Comprehension
Once you have done the Critical Reasoning(CR) part, some of the difficult questions of RC are also covered in the CR questions. After finishing CR, just refer one of the forums on Reading Comprehension. Understand the few strategies available. Personally, I followed the paraphrasing method (wherein you write down the paragraph in few words), because it increased my understanding. Reading speed was not an issue for me in the first place, so didn't bother with that.

TAKE NOTES I was able to revise SC three times, just because I had made my notes properly. It really helps. ditto for CR.

IPAD APP i also bought the gmatclub ipad app. it is quite handy and useful. i was able to specifically target the areas that i wanted to focus on. BUT PLEASE DON'T GO AND BUY AN IPAD JUST TO PREPARE FOR THE GMAT :-D

test i bought the MGMAT tests, took only 3 of them, and then took the two official tests. scored 690, 730, 690 (MGMAT) & 740, 770 (day before) (Official Prep)

Once again GMAT Club, thanks a lot for all the help....

ps: it would be a good exercise to find GMAT grammar errors in my post above... writing correct english is such a pain... :-D
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 760 (Q50, V44) Debrief [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 10:21
happy to take any questions :)
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: 760 (Q50, V44) Debrief [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 16:39
Great job. Nice score.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

Re: 760 (Q50, V44) Debrief [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 19:14
Wow Congratulations mate!! You nailed it.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: 760 (Q50, V44) Debrief [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 04:36
sddhrthsn wrote:
Further to: http://gmatclub.com/forum/760-q50-v-44-couldn-t-mark-last-quant-question-122378.html

Hi Guys, after much procrastination, here is the debrief:

Exam Date: 26th October
Registered on: 15th July

Total Study time: 3 months, but most prep was back-loaded. Started serious prep around mid September. However, in my opinion one needs around 3 months of time (with date taken).

Section Strategies:

Quant: I just did the (hard) questions from OG 12. I was easily scoring 51 in most of my tests except for one where i scored 49. My quant is strong, so I didn't need to do much. In retrospect (50 :( ), I should have practiced more.

Verbal
This is where I put most of my efforts. I used the following resources: MGMAT Sentence Correction Guide, Powerscore Critical Reasoning Bible & OG 12 & Verbal Guide 2 for practice. YOU NEED THESE AND THESE ONLY TO CRACK THE GMAT VERBAL. Honestly, nothing else.

Sentence Correction: MGMAT is a really really good book. Finish every chapter sincerely and do the in-chapter exercises by following the instructions. Each chapter has instructions before the in-chapter exercises and the OG practice questions. It is essential to follow the instructions and do what is asked. For example, if the instructions ask you to identify the parallel markers in each sentence, then you Damn well should do that. The point is that you might be able to mark the correct answer to a given question just because it feels right. However, if you do so without understanding the concept, then you have just wasted the question. Do not let a single question go waste.

Critical Reasoning
: Powerscore is the last name here. Just read the whole book and solve all questions. Follow the instructions, simple as that.

Reading Comprehension
Once you have done the Critical Reasoning(CR) part, some of the difficult questions of RC are also covered in the CR questions. After finishing CR, just refer one of the forums on Reading Comprehension. Understand the few strategies available. Personally, I followed the paraphrasing method (wherein you write down the paragraph in few words), because it increased my understanding. Reading speed was not an issue for me in the first place, so didn't bother with that.

TAKE NOTES I was able to revise SC three times, just because I had made my notes properly. It really helps. ditto for CR.

IPAD APP i also bought the gmatclub ipad app. it is quite handy and useful. i was able to specifically target the areas that i wanted to focus on. BUT PLEASE DON'T GO AND BUY AN IPAD JUST TO PREPARE FOR THE GMAT :-D

[b]test[/b] i bought the MGMAT tests, took only 3 of them, and then took the two official tests. scored 690, 730, 690 (MGMAT) & 740, 770 (day before) (Official Prep)

Once again GMAT Club, thanks a lot for all the help....

ps: it would be a good exercise to find GMAT grammar errors in my post above... writing correct english is such a pain... :-D

Great achievement dude. Very inspiring.

By any chance did u happen to use grockit at all for gmat prep?
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Re: 760 (Q50, V44) Debrief [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 09:01
congrats! 770 is a massive score !

I would like to know how the MGMAT tests compare in terms of difficulty to the real GMAT ?

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 28

Re: 760 (Q50, V44) Debrief [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 11:42
Congrats for the awesome score :)

Are you a native speaker by any chance??
Re: 760 (Q50, V44) Debrief   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2011, 11:42