Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

770 GMAT Debrief and my rant about IR

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [4] , given: 6

770 GMAT Debrief and my rant about IR [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 18:29
This post received
KUDOS
I want to start off by saying thanks to all of the posters on this site and especially Bunuel!

The basics

I took the GMAT a few weeks ago and just received my official score report...

770 (Q49, V47), IR 7/8, AWA 6

I have to say I'm very pleased - I was prepping for at least a 750, so I definitely met my goal :)

Background and study plan

I'll start off by giving a bit of background of myself and my study plan. I work a pretty packed consulting gig, so I could only really study on the weekends. I studied on-and-off for about 6 months. Some months, I would only get a couple of hours in per week...but near the end, I was putting in around 10-15 hours a week.

Tip - I highly recommend consolidating your study schedule and pushing really hard to keep it to under 6 months (3 months is probably ideal). I felt completely worn out by the end because it had been dragging on for so long. I made myself a schedule to take the test by the end of August. But, I got nervous, second guessed myself, and pushed it out by a couple of months. I think I should have just taken it in August. I was worried because I hadn't taken all of the practice tests (MGMAT and GMATPrep), and I didn't want to go into the test under-prepared. Either way, if you think you're ready, just take it (don't suffer an extra two months like I did).

Now...onto the practice tests

3/24/12 - MGMAT 660 (Q36, Q45)
7/14/12 - MGMAT 710 (Q43, V44)
8/11/12 - MGMAT 740 (Q47, V44)
8/26/12 - GMATPrep 760 (Q50, V44) ...after this test, I felt really good about quant, but I was still worried that I wouldn't be able to replicate it on the real thing. I'd been running out of time every single test on Manhattan tests...imo, the real quant was somewhere in between Manhattan and GMATPrep. I think it was definitely a bit harder than GMATPrep.
9/9/12 - MGMAT 750 (Q48, V45)
9/29/12 - MGMAT 740 (Q47, V45)
10/1/12 - MGMAT 700 (Q45, V40) :? ...I had used up all of the hard verbal questions, and I was thrown a bunch of easy 600 level ones at the end. I missed a couple and it tanked my verbal score. Nevertheless, with test day around the corner, I wasn't feeling so good.
10/6/12 - GMATPrep 770 (Q50, V47)

Real thing - 770 (Q49, V47) :-D
I was a little rushed at the end of quant and guessed on a couple. I never did get my pacing down completely. Congrats to those who can rip through the quant with no problem. I'm lucky in that I finish verbal with a lot of extra time. This was especially good during the real test because I extended my break by 3 minutes. I came back a minute late, and then for some reason, the reader wouldn't pick up my palm.
Tip - Be careful with your breaks - if it takes an extra 2 minutes to get signed back into the room - that comes right off of your time.

Study materials

I used the Manhattan series almost exclusively for all subjects except for CR, for which I bought the CR Bible. I had the OG12 on hand too, although I can't say I used it much. Oh, and I also took some of the GMAT club tests -- while definitely tougher than the real thing, they were a little demoralizing (so, I only took a few).

Quant

If you're looking to get ~80%ile on the quant, I would go with the Manhattan books. However, I will say that I felt like they took me to the 48-49 range and that additional materials were necessary to break 50. MGMAT focused less on those weird "what are they talking about???" questions (you know the ones) that threw me off on the real test. Also, I felt that the MGMAT guides were a bit weak in geometry. Overall though - very satisfied with the set. I went through them twice...once as a refresher, and the second time as a more in-depth review. I did all of the OG12 problems once. Having taken the test, I wish I had paid more attention to the OG. I had read that the OG questions were too easy, etc, but I think in some ways they were a little more representative of the real GMAT for those "weird" or "off-base" questions.

Verbal

I read through the MGMAT guides. I'm not sure they helped much because I had been getting around 44-45 on verbal from the beginning. The only thing I really focused on were idioms (do not ignore idioms). However, I think I gained a few extra points by getting more CR questions correct. I had been missing 3-4 each practice test, and I think I got that down to only missing a 1 or 2 by the end. It just clicked at some point. Just practice CR, and you'll get better at it. Also, the CR bible helped. It really breaks down each type of question, so you know how to attack each one. IMO, the language in the question stems is not completely intuitive, so make sure you know what the question is asking before jumping into the answer choices. I made this mistake in the beginning.

My rant about IR

I did all of the practice questions available. As you all know, there really aren't that many. Either way, on GMATPrep, I was getting almost all of them correct (same with supplemental OG13 questions). MGMAT IR was owning me, but I figured they were way harder than the real thing. Plus, I look at graphs/tables/excel sheets all day at work, so I figured how bad could it be? Let me just say, bad. I know my score was fine (7/8 is currently 83%...who knows how that will change), but it really threw me. I was still in essay-mode, and I just didn't switch state-of-minds quickly enough. I got a few questions in which I couldn't decide between two answers....and I went back and forth on these for way too long. I got really panicked, and I started to rush through the questions without reading the passages because I thought I didn't have time. I would not recommend doing this - there's almost no way you can answer multi-part questions without knowing what the passage is about! I have no idea how I pulled off a 7/8 because I'm pretty sure I got about half of them right. I didn't even answer the last question. Also - don't expect normal topics. They were all over the place. Do I wish I prepared more for this section? No way. I probably put in 2 hours total. But, I wish I had kept my cool better...you just need to stay focused and not waste too much time on any one question. My only advice is -- if you think you bombed it, don't let it affect quant. Shake it off and hope for the best. Also, I'll be really interested to see how this is used in applications. I couldn't imagine it's a very good predictor given the high variability of the questions.

The end

Feel free to post questions or PM me!

Good luck to all. Just stay focused, and you can do it.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 930 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 770 GMAT Debrief and my rant about IR [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 18:37
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 770 GMAT Debrief and my rant about IR [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 22:46
Awesome score....many congrats....

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: 770 GMAT Debrief and my rant about IR [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 03:49
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Awesome score....many congrats....

Thanks everyone!

Also, not sure if I stressed this enough in my initial post....I could not have done this without all of the members of gmatclub.

Good luck to those still prepping!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mays '16, Simon '16
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 51

Re: 770 GMAT Debrief and my rant about IR [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 04:09
Congrats on the mammoth score :shock:

Do you recommend MGMAT guides? I will take the GMAT again next month after a disastrous performance 1st time .
Currently I have just OG.

How would you rate MGMAT verbal guide?
thanks
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 6

Re: 770 GMAT Debrief and my rant about IR [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
RJSPO wrote:

Do you recommend MGMAT guides? I will take the GMAT again next month after a disastrous performance 1st time .

thanks

Thanks!

I would highly recommend the MGMAT guides for all of quant and for some of verbal. I thought the MGMAT SC guide was very good, and that's the only resource I used for SC. I decided to go with the CR Bible by Powerscore for critical reasoning and found it was great! It is a very hefty book, so it takes some time to go through. But, I read through it twice and felt ready to go on both CR and RC since there is some overlap between the two. MGMAT CR looked fine too (it never really made it off my shelf), but I wanted something heavily based in theory.

So, it depends on what your weak spots are...However, I would not recommend using ONLY OG unless you're scoring quite high from the beginning. It just doesn't do a very good job at breaking down the areas. Also, taking more than a month might be something you'd want to consider too.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mays '16, Simon '16
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 51

Re: 770 GMAT Debrief and my rant about IR [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 06:45
lnds1001 wrote:
RJSPO wrote:

thanks

Thanks!

I would highly recommend the MGMAT guides for all of quant and for some of verbal. I thought the MGMAT SC guide was very good, and that's the only resource I used for SC. I decided to go with the CR Bible by Powerscore for critical reasoning and found it was great! It is a very hefty book, so it takes some time to go through. But, I read through it twice and felt ready to go on both CR and RC since there is some overlap between the two. MGMAT CR looked fine too (it never really made it off my shelf), but I wanted something heavily based in theory.

So, it depends on what your weak spots are...However, I would not recommend using ONLY OG unless you're scoring quite high from the beginning. It just doesn't do a very good job at breaking down the areas. Also, taking more than a month might be something you'd want to consider too.

Thanks ..

I had access to MGMAT tests earlier.Now,I have exhausted all the tests. Any idea is it possible to reset MGMAT tests?
Any special strategies you used to handle DS. DS is pulling down my Quant score. :(
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 6

Re: 770 GMAT Debrief and my rant about IR [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
RJSPO wrote:
lnds1001 wrote:
RJSPO wrote:

thanks

Thanks!

Thanks ..

I had access to MGMAT tests earlier.Now,I have exhausted all the tests. Any idea is it possible to reset MGMAT tests?
Any special strategies you used to handle DS. DS is pulling down my Quant score. :(

Yes, it is possible to reset MGMAT tests once you've taken them all. For DS, I found that the GMAT club tests helped a lot. I think practice really helps with these questions since they are not what we are used to seeing. I improved from getting ~50% of my DS questions right to around 70% after about a month of practice (at 700 level according to MGMAT).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 770 GMAT Debrief and my rant about IR [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 10:03
Awesome score :-D , Congrats!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: 770 GMAT Debrief and my rant about IR [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 19:36
Congratulations on a Superb performance.. What did you use for practice questions in quant apart from the MGMAT set? I have read the MGMAT set in depth, made notes and have attempted all the questions in the OG12, and 13 (both PS and DS) along with other review books such as Kaplan premier and kaplan 800...and am currently working on the MGMAT advanced Quant.. Do you think this is enough to break the 46-47 mark in quant????

Also, in verbal did you bother to do the SC1000 and CR100 etc resources that are available on the net, or did you just do the official GMAC problems from the OG?

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: 770 GMAT Debrief and my rant about IR [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 12:23
vomhorizon wrote:
Congratulations on a Superb performance.. What did you use for practice questions in quant apart from the MGMAT set? I have read the MGMAT set in depth, made notes and have attempted all the questions in the OG12, and 13 (both PS and DS) along with other review books such as Kaplan premier and kaplan 800...and am currently working on the MGMAT advanced Quant.. Do you think this is enough to break the 46-47 mark in quant????

Also, in verbal did you bother to do the SC1000 and CR100 etc resources that are available on the net, or did you just do the official GMAC problems from the OG?

Thanks! I did some GMAT club tests to practice quant. I think I went through 4 full-length quant tests from the club tests. I also re-did all MGMAT problems a second time. I scored 46-47 in MGMAT tests and ended up with a 49 on the real thing. So, maybe this will help you gauge your level. It matters more how much you know than how many books you go through.

I did OG12 questions and MGMAT for verbal.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 79

Re: 770 GMAT Debrief and my rant about IR [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 14:11
Wow, that's an absolutely amazing score across the board. Congratulations, and good luck with your applications!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 770 GMAT Debrief and my rant about IR [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 12:30
I'm a tutor and I recommend taking 8 of the IR questions rather than trying all 12. (Investing time in the chosen ones)
I had a client who scored a 750, she attempted all 12 and got 6 correct. The first time I tried it, I attempted 7 and got 6 correct. The main problem is deciding which questions to guess.
Re: 770 GMAT Debrief and my rant about IR   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2012, 12:30