Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 03:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2011
Posts: 40
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [4] , given: 2

770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 20:32
4
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
It was almost reliving an experience when I saw a 770 flashing on my screen. It was the same euphoric feeling that I got when I was a kid and made it to the IIT a little less than a decade back. I couldn't be happier with the score as I am targeting H/S/W where the average GMAT scores are around 730 and a 770 makes me feel relieved about the score. Now I can focus on spending my time working on the other aspects of my application.

Before getting into how I prepared for the GMAT , a bit of background information about me. I am from an IIT in India and have 4 years of work experience. I have been an all rounder and that was the reason that I didn’t join the IIMs (H/S/W of India) even after securing admits from there 2 years back. I didn’t want to be surrounded by engineers who have studied at IITs/NITs,cracked the CAT(a difficult exam to make it to the top schools in India),and are going to business school without any specific goal err the common goal of getting paid better.
Secondly, I didn’t intend to sit in classes where we are being bombarded with theory and without work experience the students(and sometimes the profs) are clueless about the application of theory.
Had a couple of people in family who have done their MBA from the top schools abroad(including LBS) and given the transformation they underwent I really knew that I wanted to go to these schools.

Anyway, without digressing too much about why I wanted to do an MBA abroad(that would possibly be the topic for another post .Haha) I’d share my story here because by reading the success stories here, I drew a lot of motivation and it’d be great to share what worked for me. In hindsight, I think there were four reasons for my success.

a) GMATCLUB and other forums
b)The right study resources
c) The right focus on learning and utilizing the resources I had judiciously instead of making my room a dump for all the GMAT material I had.
d) Being aware about the importance of timing.

Now let me expound on why each of these things were crucial to my success.

a) GMATCLUB and other forums- Love at first sight!
Since I didn’t want to tell around me that I am preparing for the GMAT, I had to rely on google to fetch me what resources I use.That is when I incidentally came across GMATCLUB and other forums it would be an understatement to say that I was enthralled to see such a magnificent communities. I was so hooked that I didn’t study for the GMAT for one whole week(LOL)-so busy did I get reading around the forum that seem to have had inexhaustible source of knowledge and wisdom. Since there were too many posts, I kept on writing notes so that I can make a study plan for myself and also kept on bookmarking the posts that I wanted to read again later. The bookmark list got so long within a week that it seemed like I had bookmarked the entire site. LOL!

b) The right study resources : This is very critical to your success on the GMAT. I remember the first book I purchased for the GMAT was Barron’ GMAT Guide because their GRE Guide was what my batchmates had used in college to prepare for the GRE and had said that it is a good book for the GRE but alas it didn’t turn out that way for the GMAT. I read a lot of debriefs to figure out what books people used and boiled down to the following. I didn’t refer much for quant as fortunately for the India, the GMAT quant is a cakewalk(yes that’s exaggeration but true to a great extent).

For Integrated reasoning also, I just relied on the 50 questions that accompany the Official Guide and saw a few free videos here on BTG. The questions on the actual test were quite similar to what I had practiced so didn't have much trouble.

Official Guide 13th edition- A book you cannot just do without. A lot of people complain that the OG questions are not difficult enough in comparison to what you are likely to see on the 700+ level on the test and to an extent I agree. However, the OG questions are the closest you will get to the actual GMAT questions(apart from obviously the GMATPREP questions). Since the questions in the OG are retired GMAT questions, you should try to extract the maximum out of them

SC- Aristotle SC Grail, Manhattan SC Guide -Most of the people here use these two books and I can see why . You don’t need to look for anything beyond these two books. SC Grail is written in a very structured and easy to understand way and makes things simple while Manhattan SC Guide though not written in that engaging a way covers some of the more difficult topics that haven’t been dealt with in SC Grail.

CR- I used the Manhattan CR Guide but didn’t find it very helpful. It focuses too much on diagramming . One needs to learn all those signs for different things . I almost finished the entire book in 1 day. I liked the CR Bible more. The content in the book flows like a story and it’s written in a interesting way.

RC- Trust me, reading comprehension is only a function of practice. I sucked big time on RCs and in fact my heart used to slump the moment I saw them. Did all the RC passages from OG13 and then moved on toAristotle RCs since I wanted to build the mental stamina of being hammered by passages after passages and yet be not bored of them. Initially I practiced 3-4 passages per day but then started doing 8-10 passages for a couple of days. It built my stamina big time.

c)Focused on learning from the questions
There is ton of non Gmat like questions(1000CR ,1000 SC are cases in point) floating around and honestly they will only rack your brain but wont teach you anything new. Remember this is no body building championship in which you will judged by what how much weight can you lift, so don’t worry about how much material can you do. What was more important to me was how much can I learn from the mistakes I made.

d) Love hate game with timing:
The GMAT is all about timing and this is something that we do not realize early. We hate doing practice questions under timed circumstances but hey anyone can get 15 critical reasoning questions correct in one hour with 100% accuracy but how many people can get 15 CR questions correct in 20 minutes with 90% accuracy. Not many. The same holds true for Reading comprehension. Dont give it if you are not prepared to time yourself. For the longest time I didnt time myself and suffered big time with a poor score. You have to get over the fear that there is a clock on your head, sometimes just knowing that time is ticking will hamper your performance. I noticed as well that when your short of time you mess up because you dont make the most of the little time you do have. Confusion and Panic sets in. Instead slow down for 2 seconds and get back again.I ensured that all the practice I was doing was timed. This way I was able to manage my time effectively later.

The post has gotten very long and though I have a few other things to write, but that would probably dilute the value of what I have written above.
I wish you all all the best.Signing off with lots of love and gratitude! :)

Last edited by gmatgaga on 23 Jul 2012, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2012
Posts: 20
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 9

Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 00:07
2
This post received
KUDOS
gmatgaga wrote:
It was almost reliving an experience when I saw a 770 flashing on my screen. It was the same euphoric feeling that I got when I was a kid and made it to the IIT a little less than a decade back. I couldn't be happier with the score as I am targeting H/S/W where the average GMAT scores are around 730 and a 770 makes me feel relieved about the score. Now I can focus on spending my time working on the other aspects of my application.

Before getting into how I prepared for the GMAT , a bit of background information about me. I am from an IIT in India and have 4 years of work experience. I have been an all rounder and that was the reason that I didn’t join the IIMs (H/S/W of India) even after securing admits from there 2 years back. I didn’t want to be surrounded by engineers who have studied at IITs/NITs,cracked the CAT(a difficult exam to make it to the top schools in India),and are going to business school without any specific goal err the common goal of getting paid better.
Secondly, I didn’t intend to sit in classes where we are being bombarded with theory and without work experience the students(and sometimes the profs) are clueless about the application of theory.
Had a couple of people in family who have done their MBA from the top schools abroad(including LBS) and given the transformation they underwent I really knew that I wanted to go to these schools.

Anyway, without digressing too much about why I wanted to do an MBA abroad(that would possibly be the topic for another post .Haha) I’d share my story here because by reading the success stories here, I drew a lot of motivation and it’d be great to share what worked for me. In hindsight, I think there were four reasons for my success.

a) GMATCLUB and other forums
b)The right study resources
c) The right focus on learning and utilizing the resources I had judiciously instead of making my room a dump for all the GMAT material I had.
d) Being aware about the importance of timing.

Now let me expound on why each of these things were crucial to my success.

a) GMATCLUB and other forums- Love at first sight!
Since I didn’t want to tell around me that I am preparing for the GMAT, I had to rely on google to fetch me what resources I use.That is when I incidentally came across GMATCLUB and other forums it would be an understatement to say that I was enthralled to see such a magnificent communities. I was so hooked that I didn’t study for the GMAT for one whole week(LOL)-so busy did I get reading around the forum that seem to have had inexhaustible source of knowledge and wisdom. Since there were too many posts, I kept on writing notes so that I can make a study plan for myself and also kept on bookmarking the posts that I wanted to read again later. The bookmark list got so long within a week that it seemed like I had bookmarked the entire site. LOL!

b) The right study resources : This is very critical to your success on the GMAT. I remember the first book I purchased for the GMAT was Barron’ GMAT Guide because their GRE Guide was what my batchmates had used in college to prepare for the GRE and had said that it is a good book for the GRE but alas it didn’t turn out that way for the GMAT. I read a lot of debriefs to figure out what books people used and boiled down to the following. I didn’t refer much for quant as I am from India and from IIT and fortunately for the IITians, the GMAT quant is a cakewalk(yes that’s exaggeration but true to a great extent).

For Integrated reasoning also, I just relied on the 50 questions that accompany the Official Guide and saw a few free videos here on BTG. The questions on the actual test were quite similar to what I had practiced so didn't have much trouble.

Official Guide 13th edition- A book you cannot just do without. A lot of people complain that the OG questions are not difficult enough in comparison to what you are likely to see on the 700+ level on the test and to an extent I agree. However, the OG questions are the closest you will get to the actual GMAT questions(apart from obviously the GMATPREP questions). Since the questions in the OG are retired GMAT questions, you should try to extract the maximum out of them

SC- Aristotle SC Grail, Manhattan SC Guide -Most of the people here use these two books and I can see why . You don’t need to look for anything beyond these two books. SC Grail is written in a very structured and easy to understand way and makes things simple while Manhattan SC Guide though not written in that engaging a way covers some of the more difficult topics that haven’t been dealt with in SC Grail.

CR- I used the Manhattan CR Guide but didn’t find it very helpful. It focuses too much on diagramming . One needs to learn all those signs for different things . I almost finished the entire book in 1 day. I liked the CR Bible more. The content in the book flows like a story and it’s written in a interesting way.

RC- Trust me, reading comprehension is only a function of practice. I sucked big time on RCs and in fact my heart used to slump the moment I saw them. Did all the RC passages from OG13 and then moved on to Aristotle RCs since I wanted to build the mental stamina of being hammered by passages after passages and yet be not bored of them. Initially I practiced 3-4 passages per day but then started doing 8-10 passages for a couple of days. It built my stamina big time.

c)Focused on learning from the questions
There is ton of non Gmat like questions(1000CR ,1000 SC are cases in point) floating around and honestly they will only rack your brain but wont teach you anything new. Remember this is no body building championship in which you will judged by what how much weight can you lift, so don’t worry about how much material can you do. What was more important to me was how much can I learn from the mistakes I made.

d) Love hate game with timing:
The GMAT is all about timing and this is something that we do not realize early. We hate doing practice questions under timed circumstances but hey anyone can get 15 critical reasoning questions correct in one hour with 100% accuracy but how many people can get 15 CR questions correct in 20 minutes with 90% accuracy. Not many. The same holds true for Reading comprehension. Dont give it if you are not prepared to time yourself. For the longest time I didnt time myself and suffered big time with a poor score. You have to get over the fear that there is a clock on your head, sometimes just knowing that time is ticking will hamper your performance. I noticed as well that when your short of time you mess up because you dont make the most of the little time you do have. Confusion and Panic sets in. Instead slow down for 2 seconds and get back again.I ensured that all the practice I was doing was timed. This way I was able to manage my time effectively later.

The post has gotten very long and though I have a few other things to write, but that would probably dilute the value of what I have written above.
I wish you all all the best.Signing off with lots of love and gratitude! :)


Congrats on getting an amazing score.

However, I would recommed that you rewrite this debrief to foucs more on how you achieved this wonderful score rather that blowing your own trumpet. The word IIT is used 6 times in ur debrief and after reading this I get a feeling that you think too highly of yourself (no offence)

Also, if you want to be taken seriously then stop making insult remarks about your fellow iit/nit etc guys and their goals. You are an experienced guy and some level of maturity is expected from you.

Btw, I appreciate your effort to take time out and post for the benefit of the community.Am just giving you my $0.2
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Posts: 115
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 18

Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 00:10
Congrats on the 770! Did you use any resources for quant besides OG13?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2011
Posts: 226
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 22:43
Hi Congrates on big score
could you please share your different mock test scores and what was you r accuracy level in verbal?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2011
Posts: 40
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 02:11
HImba88 wrote:
Congrats on the 770! Did you use any resources for quant besides OG13?

I just used Aristotle PS and DS Booster for practice . Also used the gmatclub tests for 7 continuous days as they were free of cost during the launch period of the new site.Found those tests also to be quite good for practice
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2011
Posts: 40
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 02:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
smartguydexter wrote:

Congrats on getting an amazing score.
However, I would recommed that you rewrite this debrief to foucs more on how you achieved this wonderful score rather that blowing your own trumpet. The word IIT is used 6 times in ur debrief and after reading this I get a feeling that you think too highly of yourself (no offence)

Sorry .That was unintentional. Have edited the post and removed that.

Quote:
Also, if you want to be taken seriously then stop making insult remarks about your fellow iit/nit etc guys and their goals. You are an experienced guy and some level of maturity is expected from you.

You must visit a psychiatrist if you actually inferred that I made any "insult remarks" towards my fellow IITians/NITians. I tried to explain the reasons why I didn't want to go to business school right after my undergrad inspite of having admits from the top schools. Anyway, I do hope that you make that visit soon!

Quote:
Btw, I appreciate your effort to take time out and post for the benefit of the community.Am just giving you my $0.2

Thank you. Am glad that my post could be of some help!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Posts: 316
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 18:44
Congrats on getting an amazing score. 770 is amazing !
_________________

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2012
Posts: 24
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 19:52
Congratulations. By the way, how long did you study for?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Posts: 115
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 18

Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 22:02
Thanks gmatgaga. I was on the fence regarding the gmatclub tests but I think I'll take a look into it before my re-take.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 613
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 520 [1] , given: 43

Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 09:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
gmatgaga wrote:
It was almost reliving an experience when I saw a 770 flashing on my screen. It was the same euphoric feeling that I got when I was a kid and made it to the IIT a little less than a decade back. I couldn't be happier with the score as I am targeting H/S/W where the average GMAT scores are around 730 and a 770 makes me feel relieved about the score. Now I can focus on spending my time working on the other aspects of my application.

Before getting into how I prepared for the GMAT , a bit of background information about me. I am from an IIT in India and have 4 years of work experience. I have been an all rounder and that was the reason that I didn’t join the IIMs (H/S/W of India) even after securing admits from there 2 years back. I didn’t want to be surrounded by engineers who have studied at IITs/NITs,cracked the CAT(a difficult exam to make it to the top schools in India),and are going to business school without any specific goal err the common goal of getting paid better.
Secondly, I didn’t intend to sit in classes where we are being bombarded with theory and without work experience the students(and sometimes the profs) are clueless about the application of theory.
Had a couple of people in family who have done their MBA from the top schools abroad(including LBS) and given the transformation they underwent I really knew that I wanted to go to these schools.

Anyway, without digressing too much about why I wanted to do an MBA abroad(that would possibly be the topic for another post .Haha) I’d share my story here because by reading the success stories here, I drew a lot of motivation and it’d be great to share what worked for me. In hindsight, I think there were four reasons for my success.

a) GMATCLUB and other forums
b)The right study resources
c) The right focus on learning and utilizing the resources I had judiciously instead of making my room a dump for all the GMAT material I had.
d) Being aware about the importance of timing.

Now let me expound on why each of these things were crucial to my success.

a) GMATCLUB and other forums- Love at first sight!
Since I didn’t want to tell around me that I am preparing for the GMAT, I had to rely on google to fetch me what resources I use.That is when I incidentally came across GMATCLUB and other forums it would be an understatement to say that I was enthralled to see such a magnificent communities. I was so hooked that I didn’t study for the GMAT for one whole week(LOL)-so busy did I get reading around the forum that seem to have had inexhaustible source of knowledge and wisdom. Since there were too many posts, I kept on writing notes so that I can make a study plan for myself and also kept on bookmarking the posts that I wanted to read again later. The bookmark list got so long within a week that it seemed like I had bookmarked the entire site. LOL!

b) The right study resources : This is very critical to your success on the GMAT. I remember the first book I purchased for the GMAT was Barron’ GMAT Guide because their GRE Guide was what my batchmates had used in college to prepare for the GRE and had said that it is a good book for the GRE but alas it didn’t turn out that way for the GMAT. I read a lot of debriefs to figure out what books people used and boiled down to the following. I didn’t refer much for quant as fortunately for the India, the GMAT quant is a cakewalk(yes that’s exaggeration but true to a great extent).

For Integrated reasoning also, I just relied on the 50 questions that accompany the Official Guide and saw a few free videos here on BTG. The questions on the actual test were quite similar to what I had practiced so didn't have much trouble.

Official Guide 13th edition- A book you cannot just do without. A lot of people complain that the OG questions are not difficult enough in comparison to what you are likely to see on the 700+ level on the test and to an extent I agree. However, the OG questions are the closest you will get to the actual GMAT questions(apart from obviously the GMATPREP questions). Since the questions in the OG are retired GMAT questions, you should try to extract the maximum out of them

SC- Aristotle SC Grail, Manhattan SC Guide -Most of the people here use these two books and I can see why . You don’t need to look for anything beyond these two books. SC Grail is written in a very structured and easy to understand way and makes things simple while Manhattan SC Guide though not written in that engaging a way covers some of the more difficult topics that haven’t been dealt with in SC Grail.

CR- I used the Manhattan CR Guide but didn’t find it very helpful. It focuses too much on diagramming . One needs to learn all those signs for different things . I almost finished the entire book in 1 day. I liked the CR Bible more. The content in the book flows like a story and it’s written in a interesting way.

RC- Trust me, reading comprehension is only a function of practice. I sucked big time on RCs and in fact my heart used to slump the moment I saw them. Did all the RC passages from OG13 and then moved on toAristotle RCs since I wanted to build the mental stamina of being hammered by passages after passages and yet be not bored of them. Initially I practiced 3-4 passages per day but then started doing 8-10 passages for a couple of days. It built my stamina big time.

c)Focused on learning from the questions
There is ton of non Gmat like questions(1000CR ,1000 SC are cases in point) floating around and honestly they will only rack your brain but wont teach you anything new. Remember this is no body building championship in which you will judged by what how much weight can you lift, so don’t worry about how much material can you do. What was more important to me was how much can I learn from the mistakes I made.

d) Love hate game with timing:
The GMAT is all about timing and this is something that we do not realize early. We hate doing practice questions under timed circumstances but hey anyone can get 15 critical reasoning questions correct in one hour with 100% accuracy but how many people can get 15 CR questions correct in 20 minutes with 90% accuracy. Not many. The same holds true for Reading comprehension. Dont give it if you are not prepared to time yourself. For the longest time I didnt time myself and suffered big time with a poor score. You have to get over the fear that there is a clock on your head, sometimes just knowing that time is ticking will hamper your performance. I noticed as well that when your short of time you mess up because you dont make the most of the little time you do have. Confusion and Panic sets in. Instead slow down for 2 seconds and get back again.I ensured that all the practice I was doing was timed. This way I was able to manage my time effectively later.

The post has gotten very long and though I have a few other things to write, but that would probably dilute the value of what I have written above.
I wish you all all the best.Signing off with lots of love and gratitude! :)


Hmmmm...I don't know what to think. I have just found this:

http://www.beatthegmat.com/770-q-51-v-4 ... 15958.html

The same text, word by word, except GMATClub is replaced by Beat the GMAT community ...
_________________

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Moderator
Moderator
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 287
Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 10:37
EvaJager wrote:
Hmmmm...I don't know what to think. I have just found this:

http://www.beatthegmat.com/770-q-51-v-4 ... 15958.html

The same text, word by word, except GMATClub is replaced by Beat the GMAT community ...


No big deal. A lot of people post their debriefs/questions on both the forums. When you are on one forum, as an unsaid rule, you don't mention the names of other forums and vice-versa because it leads to the users crossing over. No harm even if you mention though. We're cool with it!
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 613
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 520 [0], given: 43

Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 11:24
shovitdhar wrote:
EvaJager wrote:
Hmmmm...I don't know what to think. I have just found this:

http://www.beatthegmat.com/770-q-51-v-4 ... 15958.html

The same text, word by word, except GMATClub is replaced by Beat the GMAT community ...


No big deal. A lot of people post their debriefs/questions on both the forums. When you are on one forum, as an unsaid rule, you don't mention the names of other forums and vice-versa because it leads to the users crossing over. No harm even if you mention though. We're cool with it!


At least he would have taken the effort to personalize the posts.
But write the same flattering sentences, word by word, just changing the name of the forum...
_________________

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2011
Posts: 40
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 21:18
sandeeepsharma wrote:
Hi Congrates on big score
could you please share your different mock test scores and what was you r accuracy level in verbal?


I don't remember what my practice test scores were but most of them varied from 730-760 on the MGMAT tests.
I remember my GMATPREP scores though. On GMATPREP1, I got 780 and on GMATPREP2, I got 750. The verbal accuracy rate was good. I used to get mostly RC questions wrong but otherwise didn't have much difficulty in CR and SC
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2011
Posts: 40
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 21:20
kblade wrote:
Congratulations. By the way, how long did you study for?


In all, I studied for around 4 months. Started my prep in March end and finished it in July Mid. You should not spend more than 4-5 months on your preparation lest you lose the momentum
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2013
Posts: 539
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 247

CAT Tests
Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 12:39
Getting into IIT is not an easy deal.

(1000CR ,1000 SC are cases in point) - Are they worth Nothing?
_________________

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 3

Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 22:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
honchos wrote:
Getting into IIT is not an easy deal.

(1000CR ,1000 SC are cases in point) - Are they worth Nothing?


Actually the problem with some 1000 SC series is that some of the questions are plain wrong while the other have obscure reasons for the right answers...1000 CR is a little better but i think you should do only the first 10-12 tests..some questions are still dubious there
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2013
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 01:36
Your post was very helpful and detailed. Learnt a lot about strategy, books and prep plan .Can you let me know what is the total number of hours that you put in your preparation and the split across verbal and quant ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2013
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 07:21
I'm also from an IIT.IIT Chennai to be specific. Let's hope that i'm able to achieve something similar to what you have been able to
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2013
Posts: 539
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 247

CAT Tests
Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT! [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 07:45
EvaJager wrote:
shovitdhar wrote:
EvaJager wrote:
Hmmmm...I don't know what to think. I have just found this:

http://www.beatthegmat.com/770-q-51-v-4 ... 15958.html

The same text, word by word, except GMATClub is replaced by Beat the GMAT community ...


No big deal. A lot of people post their debriefs/questions on both the forums. When you are on one forum, as an unsaid rule, you don't mention the names of other forums and vice-versa because it leads to the users crossing over. No harm even if you mention though. We're cool with it!


At least he would have taken the effort to personalize the posts.
But write the same flattering sentences, word by word, just changing the name of the forum...


This is fake Posting on Gmatclub.com

When the same content was posted on beat the Gmat date was:
Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:33 pm

I think it is 100% Fake.
_________________

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Re: 770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT!   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2013, 07:45
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT 750 (Q47 V47 IR8). Is this any good? forevertfc 3 01 Mar 2014, 09:24
3 GMAT Experience : 710 , AWA- 6 , IR - 8 inequality 7 05 Aug 2012, 13:24
3 770 [Q51 V46] - I guess I cracked the GMAT srjaidev 21 27 Oct 2010, 00:06
Experts publish their posts in the topic How to crack GMAT bharathgunturi 1 30 Apr 2010, 23:15
Crack-Gmat online test--how much useful arian75 0 01 Aug 2007, 09:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

770(Q-51,V-46), IR-8- How an IIT Guy Cracked the GMAT!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: m3equals333, TGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.