Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

770 Q49 V47

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

770 Q49 V47 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
I took the GMAT for the first time a little over two weeks ago, on June 5th, and figured I'd share my experience since I had browsed these forums and found some nice study tips. Here's my score:

770, Q49, V47, AWA 6.

I started studying in early February, giving me 4 months of preparation. I kicked off my studying by browsing MBA.com and learning the basics of the test, then took the first GMAT Prep exam and scored 750. I spent the first three months going through Kaplan Premier, focusing on a single type of question at a time. After finishing a chapter in the Kaplan book, I would go through the problems in the corresponding chapter of the OG. At this stage I focused most of my attention on the timing of the quant section, because I felt rushed towards the end of the quant portion of the practice exam.

At the end of April I decided to take the second GMAT Prep exam, and scored 770, however I still did not feel completely comfortable on the quant timing. In May I switched into high gear, taking full practice tests--including AWA--each Saturday, and practice tests minus AWA on Thursdays when I knew I'd be worn out from the work week.

The most important component of my study schedule occurred during the two weeks leading up to the exam. I perform much more poorly when I'm low on sleep, and am generally not a morning person, so I knew I'd have to do something to be prepared to take an 8AM exam. For the two weeks leading up to the test, I shifted to a sleep schedule where I went to bed at 9:30-10:00 PM and got up at 6:00 AM. This killed my social life, but helped me to get caught up on my sleep before the exam. In addition, I "trained" my brain to switch itself on in the morning by solving quant problems for an hour before work. For these morning sessions I used problems from the OG Quant Review, and Kaplan monthly quizzes.

The night before the test I was a little nervous, and got something like 7 hours of sleep. Even so, I felt relatively well rested the next morning. I was still slightly anxious when I arrived at the test center, but that feeling disappeared once I got into the flow of the test. I had taken enough practice tests under test-like conditions that I knew what to expect, and didn't feel rushed at any point. I felt like I had the timing down well, and knew when to skip a question that would simply take too long. I'd say the study plan was a success, and would absolutely recommend that people pay more attention to their sleep schedules in the days leading up to the exam. Hope this is helpful.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: 770 Q49 V47 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 09:45
Congrajulations on your score.

Can you please elaborate on how the level of questions is in the Gmat test compared to OG Verbal CR, SC.

Please explain it from a normal person point of view, i mean of course you scored 770 and might say yeah they are a breeze, all the problems match OG.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: 770 Q49 V47 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 09:57
BlueRobin wrote:
Congrajulations on your score.

Can you please elaborate on how the level of questions is in the Gmat test compared to OG Verbal CR, SC.

Please explain it from a normal person point of view, i mean of course you scored 770 and might say yeah they are a breeze, all the problems match OG.

The question difficulty felt about the same as in the GMAT Prep software, which shouldn't be a huge surprise. As for the OG, I think the questions I saw on the test were roughly comparable to the last fifty or so questions in each section of the OG.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Finance Treasury
WE 2: Entrepreneur
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: 770 Q49 V47 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 10:45
Congrats!
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 949 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 770 Q49 V47 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 11:44
I have one query. We always talk about generic difficulty level for the quant questions.
Do all questions are difficult and time consuming? Whenever I have given practice test, I have seen atleast 5-10 easy questions.I was able to solve them in less than 45 secs. Have you got such questions on exam as well where you spent less than a minute ?

Because there are always some questions which take 2-3 minutes and in every test I was able to complete it easily with timing less than 1 for some questions and greater than 2 for others, but averaging about 2min/question.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Intern
Intern

Re: 770 Q49 V47 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 12:56
gurpreetsingh wrote:
I have one query. We always talk about generic difficulty level for the quant questions.
Do all questions are difficult and time consuming? Whenever I have given practice test, I have seen atleast 5-10 easy questions.I was able to solve them in less than 45 secs. Have you got such questions on exam as well where you spent less than a minute ?

Because there are always some questions which take 2-3 minutes and in every test I was able to complete it easily with timing less than 1 for some questions and greater than 2 for others, but averaging about 2min/question.

Yes, even at the more difficult levels I solved some of the questions in less than two minutes (not sure about less than 1 minute but there were probably a few like that). Question difficulty is subjective, so even if the GMAT gives you a "hard" question, that question type may play to your strengths and seem easy to you. At the same time, as you work through the test your chances of getting a question that can be solved in less than 1-2 minutes declines significantly, so don't necessarily count on getting these.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 949 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 770 Q49 V47 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 23:01
Thanks.
Do the time consuming questions involve extensive calculations or lengthy iterations? Or its time consuming just because of the concept and difficult phrases of word translations?

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Intern
Intern

Re: 770 Q49 V47 [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 06:15
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Thanks.
Do the time consuming questions involve extensive calculations or lengthy iterations? Or its time consuming just because of the concept and difficult phrases of word translations?

This really depends on the person, but I tend to take longer on problems requiring extensive calculations, and problems involving times and rates. So for me, the most time consuming problems aren't necessarily the most difficult conceptually. One thing I noticed is that I got more hung up on problem phrasing in the Kaplan practice tests than in GMAT Prep or the test itself. This makes sense, because the GMAC must test its problems much more extensively than Kaplan does. Not to say that the Kaplan tests are filled with errors, but often the questions seemed to be designed with less care.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: 770 Q49 V47 [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 11:04
madgmatter, congratulations on your score and thank you for sharing your experience with us. Could you please take your time and answer the following questions:

1) Could you describe in greater detail your preparation:
- how many hours a day did you study?
- how many CATs did you take and why were they useful to you?
- how did you revise material?
- anything that you find important to mention
2) Do you have a full time job and if so, how did you combine studying with work?
3) It seems that your overall level was very high even before preparation. How did you achieve that?
4) You studied for almost four months. At any point during the preparation did you feel like burning out? If so, how did you deal with that?
5) How intensive was your preparation? I understand that you prepared very intensively in the last two weeks.

Thank you.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: 770 Q49 V47 [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 12:46
This post received
KUDOS
nonameee wrote:
madgmatter, congratulations on your score and thank you for sharing your experience with us. Could you please take your time and answer the following questions:

1) Could you describe in greater detail your preparation:
- how many hours a day did you study?
- how many CATs did you take and why were they useful to you?
- how did you revise material?
- anything that you find important to mention
2) Do you have a full time job and if so, how did you combine studying with work?
3) It seems that your overall level was very high even before preparation. How did you achieve that?
4) You studied for almost four months. At any point during the preparation did you feel like burning out? If so, how did you deal with that?
5) How intensive was your preparation? I understand that you prepared very intensively in the last two weeks.

Thank you.

Good questions,

1. For the first three months I tried to study anywhere between 1/2 hour and 1 hour per day. Over the final month I tried to study at least an hour a day, although often spent more than that (whenever I took a practice test). I ended up taking 9 CATs (Took GMAT Prep twice, four Kaplan tests, and the free MGMAT test), and found them the most helpful portion of my prep. From the beginning I felt like I knew the fundamentals of the test well, and was working mainly on timing (on the quant side). The CATs helped me to figure out how to pace myself, and how to know when to guess on a question.

2. I do have a full time job, although I generally work from 9 to 5:30 or 6 so it isn't too demanding time-wise. I did most of my studying after work, and saved practice tests for weekends. As the test approached, I shifted my studying to the morning before work. I should add that I sometimes studied when I was tired or low on sleep--I figured that pushing myself to think quickly when I wouldn't otherwise do so would make me more prepared on exam day.

3. Not sure, just lucky I guess. I sometimes get nervous in test environments, so wanted lots of prep time so that I would be more comfortable when taking the test.

4. I never felt too burnt out, although during the week before taking the test I was definitely ready to be done with it. I think I didn't burn out because I paced myself in the beginning, making progress each day but not killing myself either.

5. My answers to (1) and (4) get to this, but I tried to maintain a steady but not overly intensive study schedule to keep from burning out. Even during weekdays for the final two weeks I was studying about an hour per day. The weekend before the test ended up being my most intense. This was Memorial Day Weekend, a long weekend for me, so I got up early every day and did a full practice test (including the AWA component).
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: 770 Q49 V47 [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 03:40
madgmatter, thanks for your answers.
Re: 770 Q49 V47   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2010, 03:40