Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 05:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

770 (Q50, V44)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

770 (Q50, V44) [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 18:15
Finished GMAT last week with a overall score of 770 (Q50, V44). I was pretty confident all the way during my preparation that I will be able to get into the 700 club, but a 770 is beyond my most optimistic expections! I have been a member here since last November, mainly reading experiences from HongHu and other folks who got top scores. I would like to say THANK YOU for GMAT and all the people who has shared your experiences!

My G-day:
Scheduled my test at 9:15am. Arrived Pearson test center at 8:45am. Fingerprinted and photographed. Sit in front of a slow Dell PIII desktop around 9:00am. Picked schools, and started AWA. The two essays are all from the pool of topics in OG11. I had thought through how to answer the topics while preparing for GMAT so I had no problem with them.

The quantative section very similar to that of GMATPrep. I finished the first 18 or so problems pretty quickly, and then suddenly got a super easy question. I realized that I must have answered the previous question wrong. Slowed down and finished the rest of the questions very carefully. Still finished the section 10 minutes early.

Took a break. I was feeling a little bit tired and thirsty so I swallowed down a can of Red Bull. Felt much better and went back for the verbal section. Again the experience and difficulty is very similar to that of GMATPrep. I even got a question that appeared in GMATPrep! I got 4 RCs, 3 pretty short and none particularly difficult. The SC and CR questions are on the difficult side but not particulary tricky. I was doing very well until at question 31 when I started to feel the need to go to the restroom. I realized it must be the can of Red Bull. In retrospect I should just raise my hand, go to the rest room, come back and finish the rest of the questions. At that time, however, I want to finish the stuff so much at I just rush through the last 10 questions and finished the session 18(!) minutes early.

Before I pressed the show score button I already know that I will get 700+. Still I almost shout out when I saw the final score. Now I just need to wait and see how my AWA does.

Have to leave. Will post my preparation experience later. Feel free to ask questions.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 20:41
Awesome score :-D

Thanks for sharing the experience...

Good luck with the apps!
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 23:17
Mind boggling score!

Congrats and good luck for your apps!

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Current Student
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2006, 00:05
Wholly king sized box of cracker jacks!!! I think I`d do a backflip then and there if I saw a score like that pop up on the screen. Good luck with your apps!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2006, 00:41
Thats really a cool score...man u must have prepared like anything...Ur score shows it all
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2006, 05:36
amazing stuff man...guess all those hard work ya put in must have paid well..keep going and good luck with the apps.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 770 (Q50, V44) [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2006, 08:35
Great score.
congratulations. :good
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2006, 09:47
great score.
Congrats.

Good luck with you apps.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2006, 11:33
Well done doudou

confidence is important for staying calm; you had a lot of it; outstanding

Please provide some more detailed evaluations of the difficulty of:

- OG 11th
- GMAT-Club-Forum
- GMATPrep

Of which format were the hardest questions in your actual test? What made them difficult?

Many thanks

(aren't doudous extinct?)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2006, 20:05
Here is how I prepared for it:

First, a little bit more about me. I work as a software architect for a fortune 500 company in the States. I have been thinking about getting into the business side for quite some time. Part time MBA program in my local university, however, is not that great. A full time program only make sense financially if I get into a top 15 business school. So getting a 700+ is almost a must. The tough part is that I have family and kids, and my work requires international travel. Basically I can only afford a couple of months of preparation time, and not every day.

I started preparing in late September. I used the following books in addition to PowerPrep and GMATPrep: Kaplan 2005, Kaplan 800, and OG11. I also acquired OG10 and the Princeton Review book, but never got around to use them. I chose the Kaplan books specifically because their difficulty. I wanted to be able to handle the most difficult questions possible.

I took the Kaplan diagnostic test first and got a 570 (Q38, V32). I was quite disappointed, partly because the score is so low, partly because I used to thought I had no problem with quant questions. I felt much better after I used the wonderful but now broken score estimator on GMAT Club because a Kaplan 570 usually maps to actual GMAT score of 650+. Hope somebody here can fix the estimator.

Once I knew where I standed, I worked through everything on the Kaplan CD. I highly recommend both the math and verbal reviews. I didn't read the paper book. After that I worked through every question on the Kaplan 800. Below are my CAT scores during this period:
* Kaplan CAT1: 640 (V35, Q46)
* Kaplan Paper: 650 (v38, Q48)
* PowerPrep 1: 730 (V??, Q??)
* Kaplan CAT2: 650 (V36, Q50)
* Kaplan CAT3: 630 (V32, Q50)
* Kaplan CAT4: 670 (V37, Q48) - Some duplicates and a few gliches

After the Kaplan books, I went though the OG11 book and again worked through every question. The questions in OG11 are much more closer to the actual test, but quite different from the Kaplan books. Then I took the other PowerPrep test and the 2 GMATPrep tests:
* GMATPrep 1: 750 (V42, Q50) - after RC and CR.
* PowerPrep 2: 750 (V40, Q50)
* GMATPrep 2: 720 (V40, Q49)
As I found out, the 2 PowerPrep tests share many questions with OG11. However the GMATPrep tests almost have no duplicates with OG11. For me, the difficulty for the GMATPrep tests is slight higher than the actual test for quantative and almost the same for verbal. The experience for GMATPrep tests is almost the same as the actual test.

In addition to the books, I highly recommend the following resource: http://home.comcast.net/~dave.kim/GMAT_ ... rategy.htm. I have read thought it a couple of times.

For AWA, in addition to writing every one during practice tests, I spent a couple of days to thought though all the AWA topic in OG11. I normally spent 5 to 10 minutes on each topic and mentially wrote the essays. This has certainly boosted my confidence during the actual test. I am still waiting what score I can get.

Basically this was how I prepared for the test. It worked for me but it may not work for everyone. My suggestion is that everybody needs to formulate a test preparation strategy. Reading forum topics on GMAT Club and other sites like ScoreTop and TestMagic helps a lot. You can also download a file that contains hundreds(?) of test experiences (many old) from Dave's site.

Hope this is helpful.

doudou
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 09:57
Got my offical score report with AWA 5.0. Guess my strategy worked pretty well.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 11:26
Wow, awsome job! Hope I'm not too late in saying congratulations!

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

[#permalink] 07 Feb 2006, 11:26