Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

770 (Q50, V44) - Short and Sweet

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

770 (Q50, V44) - Short and Sweet [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2006, 19:56
Hello everyone. Although this is my first post, I’ve been reading these forums all throughout my GMAT preparation. I was debating on whether to post this because I didn’t actually prepare much for the test since I had to take it on short notice. Still, perhaps my descriptions of the real exam may help someone out.

I finally got my official GMAT score report today. Actually, I got two copies, probably because I ordered an additional score report shortly after taking it. First the result:

AWA: 6.0 (96%)
Quantitative: 50 (95%)
Verbal: 44 (97%)
Total: 770 (99%)

Needless to say, I am very happy about my performance. Oddly enough, the percentages show my best and worst sections as Verbal and Math, respectively. Traditionally, I have always been strongest at math and weakest at Verbal. Anyhow, I will try to give my experiences with the test.

Preparation

I took the real exam on August 12, a Saturday. Two weeks before that, I did all the GMAT Prep practice questions and read some tips online on how to answer all sorts of questions. I took my first practice GMAT Prep test and scored 740 (Q50, V40). My weakest sections were Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning. As with all standardized tests, I decided not to prepare for the math (or AWA) other than taking practice exams. This was also partly because my test date was so near.
1 week before the exam, I obtain the Official Guide 10th edition and start doing SC and CR problems that Sunday. I finish them by Wed, and take the second GMAT Prep test. The result is a 770 (Q50, V46). This time, several verbal questions were familiar because I had seen them on the Official Guide the days prior. It seems the GMAT Prep exam is indeed a very accurate predictor of the real exam score.

Test Day

The day finally arrived. My exam was at 1:15, so I arrived at the test center 1 hour early. They said that they were full, so I waited until 12:30 for a seat to open. I was ushered into the testing room after securing my belongings and taking my fingerprint. I also received the erasable board and marker, which I tested out briefly before starting the test. It didn’t seem as bad as some people say, and I only ended up using 2 sides (1 sheet) of it, probably because I only use it for calculations during the quantitative section.

AWA Essays

Starting these, I wrote my usual intro, 3 body paragraphs, and a conclusion. Based on my results, I guess this worked pretty well. I didn’t memorize any templates, but did read some tips from Manhattan GMAT that I found somewhere. After the essays, I took my break, but returned after only 3 minutes.

Quantitative

I thought the quantitative section was pretty hard. There were several questions that I could not definitively answer without spending too much time. There was also one question I absolutely did not even understand; it might have been experimental. However, since math has always been my strong point, I worked through all the questions as best I could. The result was the same as all the practice tests.

For some reason, I think GMAT math is harder than any other standardized test I’ve taken, including the GRE. SAT I math is simple but tricky, SAT II and GRE math is difficult, but straightforward. GMAT math seems to be both difficult AND tricky. I scored 800 on SAT I, SAT IIC, and GRE math, but I could not manage a 51 on GMAT Quantitative on either of the practice tests or the real thing. Just an interesting observation.

After this section, I took another 3 minute break and prepared myself for the last stretch.

Verbal

I don’t really remember anything outstanding about this section. I am much more relaxed during Verbal than Quantitative for some reason. The problems were very similar to the practice tests for the most part. Of course, since there were no questions I had already seen before, it was more difficult than the second practice I took. After the section was up, I clicked through the remaining screens quickly in eager anticipation of my score.

Yes!

After selecting to keep my scores (rather than cancel them) and hitting next, I had what was perhaps the scariest moment of the entire test. The computer seemed to freeze, and nothing happened for 10 seconds. The score calculation algorithm must be pretty intense. I was ecstatic when I saw the result, and the mood carried on to make it one heck of a great day. :-D
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2006, 15:48
youngmba -

with few weeks of study you managed 770. With probably few more you would have scored 800. CONGRATS :)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 23:26
Nice score!!
plz provide your background.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2006, 20:41
Thanks for the kind words. :)

As my username indicates, I am fairly young compared to most MBA applicants (will turn 23 in 2 months). Thus, I am lacking in full-time professional work experience, but I hope my part-time work and academics (3.918 GPA) will help make up for it.

I obtained a B.S. in Computer Science and a B.A. in Economics for undergraduate studies. Since graduating in May 2005, I have been working as a Software Engineer.

The reason I took the test without much study time is because I had not originally planned to apply for Fall 2007. However, I heard that more schools are becoming open to the idea of accepting younger applicants who do not have 5 years of experience. Thus, I decided to give it a shot and see if I can get the ball rolling a little earlier.
  [#permalink] 02 Sep 2006, 20:41