Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 14:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

770 (q51, v42,AWA 6.0 )-A Big Thanks to Club Members!!!-Updt

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

770 (q51, v42,AWA 6.0 )-A Big Thanks to Club Members!!!-Updt [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 05:01
Took the GMAT today, the results are

Q 51 - 99 percentile
V 42 - 95 percentile
Overall : 770 - 99 percentile.

AWA - 6.0

I'm stoked. I just keep staring at the unofficial score report to make sure that I'm seeing it right.

First things first!

A big big thanks to all the contributors of the forums at GMAT Club. Without the insight and advice of the forum members I would never have achieved this score. Each step of my preparation was based on the advice at this forum. This forum is a fine example of how people can achieve more collectively than alone!

While I'm really happy about my scores, I am a bit disappointed with my verbal score, I was expecting more and am surprised that I could get 770 with a 42 on the verbal.

My preparation was very haphazard. Demanding work schedule and other responsibilities made my preparation very inconsistent. I started preparations in August hoping to give the exam by october. However after about a month, several things happenning on the personal front distracted me and I hardly studied in sept, oct and nov. I finally picked it up again in december.

I think the best thing that I did in terms of preparation is that I reinstalled the GMAT prep software yesterday and gave both the exams again yesterday. A lot of the quant questions were related to the questions in GMAT prep. They tested very similar concepts. The GMAT prep software is invaluable and the best preparation tool out there. It is worth giving those two tests atleast 3-4 times just so that you can get to each one of the tough questions.

Prep books used
OG 11th ed.
Manhattan Sc Book
Kaplan800
Princeton Review 2007
Kaplan Comprehensive (Should have got the premier edition on this one)
A lot of the material available online.
IMS - CAT Quant guides (These are the guides by IMS for the admission test to the IIMs)

Prep Strategy:

I started with quant, because I love maths and it was the least painful way to get started. I worked through some basic quant material for about 3-4 weeks from the IMS quant guides. These guides are the best basic preparatory material that you can get for quant. They go from the easiest to the toughest problems that you can see.
For verbal I started out with the Kaplan Comprehensive and went through it. However I was really uncomfortable with SC. I just couldn't get consistent in SC. So I went back to basics. I bought the high school grammar book that I had used years back and went through as much as I could. Unfortunately while that helped a bit, I still couldn't get a handle on SC. Then I read people raving about the manhattan book on the forums. I immediately got a hold of it and went through it.
All said and one, while I improved on SC, I still don't feel really comfortable with them. I still depend a lot on my ear for correct grammar to wade through SC. That explains my not so high verbal score.
I think the Kaplan800 book was also pretty good. The explanations to the SC problems are really good and showed me how I had to basically go through each of the choices and try to find out the flaws in each of them, before marking the best choice.
I didn't really spend a lot of time on RC and CR as I felt that my scoring on those just depended on how well I did on the day of the exam.

My practice scores

GMAT Prep
Test 1 : 720
Test 2 : 750

GMAT Prep (Reinstall, just the night before the exam)
Test 1 : 770
Test 2 : 790 (This one was a great confidence booster, I got all the verbal questions right.)

Manhattan
Test 1: 770
Test 2: 780

Princeton
Test 1 : 700 (This one shook my confidence a bit)

Kaplan
Online test : 750 - It was the crappiest test ever.
Book test : 720 - It was crappier than the online test.
The kaplan comprehensive book is the worst of the lot of books that I went through.

AWA Prep:
The princeton review book does a pretty good job with this one. I had some templates ready for AWA. I wrote 2 essays each of both types before the exam just to get the timing right.

Final Tips
1) You can't do the GMATPrep exams enough number of times. Aim to do them atleast twice if not more.

2) Its all about Pacing. Pace yourself well on the exam. I took too much time in verbal on the earlier questions and I had very little time for the last 10 qutestions. I think that hurt me on the verbal score.

3) Workout!! Running boosts your IQ by 10-20%.

4) GMAT epitomizes the age old battle between speed and accuracy. I struggled to find the right balance. In the end I decided to let go of speed for accuracy. I found both in verbal and quant I missed a lot of the traps if I went fast. Moreover in verbal the faster I tried to read, the less I comprehended and had to just go over the passages again. Moreover looking at the way the CAT scores, I knew that even with lots of wrong answers it gives good scores. For example I got something like 12-13 wrong in quant and about 15 wrong in verbal and still managed to get a 720 in one of the GMATPrep tests. The point being, my opinion is rushing through a question might not work. A question will take the time it will take to get answered. You can't really speed it up by trying to go to fast. But if you get a lot of the tougher questions in the beginning and the middle right, you will score high even if you have to guess randomly on a few questions in the end.

5) For non-native speakers of english, while we do have somewhat of a disadvantage when it comes to sentence correction, I would suggest to not get too caught up with it. Treat the verbal more as a test of logical reasoning than the english language. Get acquainted with all the traps in sentence correction, for example detecting parallelism errors, verb errors such as had been, having been, locating the proper subjects and subject verb agreement. Also try to memorize the idiom lists from booksl like the manhattan SC and use them in sentences of your own. Paste the pages with the sentences on your wardrobe or mirror and read a few of them everyday. I think by following the rules in the various books and using your reasoning to eliminate choices, you should be able to get 70-80% of the sentence corrections right.

6) For CR, one very important strategy was to repeat the CR to myself after I had read it once. I then forced myself to identify the conclusion, evidence and assumption before going to the answer choices. It took discipline, but it did make a difference. I was able to comprehend the answer choices quicker and a lot of times I was able to eliminate choices very quickly, especially the ones that were out of scope.

7) For RC, I used to read the passage the first time very carefully. I even re-read some paragraphs if I didn't understand them. I also used the strategy I used in CR, that is try to recollect the gist of a paragraph in my mind as soon as I finished reading it.

Will add more tips as and when they come....

Last edited by gauravgoyal_g on 20 Jan 2007, 01:08, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 05:30
Congratulations!

I have one question. How did you space your GmatPrep exams the first time? I mean did you take the second one after a decent amount of prep based on your performance on the first one? Or right after?

The reason I ask, I did the second exam a week after I took my first, and there was no score improvement. I wonder if that's because I did not prep well enough before I took the second one. I am going through my prep now before I reinstall and take the GmatPrep exams again, before the exam.

Thanks.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 05:35
There is nothing more to ask from Gmat than this score :)
Astonishing... Congrats
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 05:38
I took my tests a couple of days apart.
I think what made the difference was that I was a lot more relaxed while taking the second one.
In the first test, I had a lot of timing issues. I got stuck on a couple of questions in quant and finally had to leave 3-4 questions unanswered.
So I just relaxed on the second one. I tried not to spend more than 2 minutes on any but 2-3 questions at the most.
My personal strategy was to basically do the first 10 questions without looking at the clock. Then do the next 17 so that I had about 20 minutes left for the last 10 questions.
It worked for me in quant. But it backfired in verbal today. I spent about 6-7 minutes on my first 2 questions today and had to hurry through the last few questions...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 10:26
That's an awesome score, Gaurav. Great job in Q, and not shabby in V either.
I agree with the workout comment -- I think running regularly kept me focused too.

Grrr -- so many people scoring 770s. Makes my 760 look EASY!!!
Just kidding :-)
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 17:23
Wow....Congratulations Gaurav....

You nailed it!! :-D
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 18:21
Thanks Guys for your wishes!!

Drucker_Fan, cool to know that you are a fellow work-outer!!

I felt working out kept me alert and sharp. I am a semi-regular jogger, but I got more regular in the last few weeks. My favorite was doing a high intensity cardio session, to get my blood really flowing. I thought it made a huge difference in my performance.

Now that the GMAT is over I can make some more ambitious plans on the fitness front. My next target is doing a half-marathon on my birthday 3 months from now. I'm sure it won't be half as stressful as the GMAT. This exam was one of the most nerve wracking things I've done.
Current Student
Schools: HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

apps [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 01:27
when are you planning to apply ? is it better to apply in the third round for fall 2007 or wait until october / december for fall 2008 ?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 03:15
I will apply for fall 2008. No plans of applying for 2007.
So I'm not really in a hurry.

Options are :

1) Go for a one year course either at IIM or ISB
2) Apply to a couple of schools in Europe and see how it goes.
3) Apply to a couple of US schools. I'm however a bit intimidated by the whole process of applying to US schools, the unpredictability of getting a visa and the struggles to get a job after MBA for internationals etc. I applaud the brave souls who take this bold step. Maybe at 30 I'm getting a bit too old for that.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 05:38
Congrats Gaurav.

I dont think you are too old at 30.

Further, we can't compare IIM/ISB program to programs at H/S/W. I think H/S/W are still leagues ahead of any IIM or ISB in terms of quality of applicants, international exposure, and placements. Anyway, that's just my humble opinion.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 07:08
A great score and an equally matched briefing Gaurav.
It's not easy to score above 750 and it just goes to show the kind of effort you have put in. Well you should definitely try out a few good schools in US as the MBA standard and curriculum is really top-notch compared to IIM's.
Best of luck with your applications and stay around to help others.
Congrats again.

Trying hard to conquer Quant.

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 07:46
aurobindo and gaurav, thanks for your wishes and encouragement.

i understand your comments on the quality of education at us biz schools. Although, going for IIM or ISB would be the safe thing to do, applying to US schools holds the promise of greats rewards, albeit, at a greater risk (primary concern) as well as more investment of time, energy and money(secondary concern).

Will definitely stick around and help as much as possible.

What kind of profiles do you guys have? Where are you in the GMAT/application process?

Ashaker, I think I didn't answer you question regarding applying in R/3. I would suggest post it to the B School forum. From what I've heard its not that easy to get accepted in R/3. But I think it would depend a lot on the school and program. For example I know some programs in the 15-25 range that take applications for their part time programs even upto a week before the start date of the program.
Intern
Intern

congrats [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 12:20
congrats on the awesome score, Gaurav
I'm looking forward for something similar.

My name is Rishi. Just joined the club.

Rishi Jhaver

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 16:41
Cool Rishi, welcome to the club! The stickys and various questions posted on the forum were a great tool in my preparation. Hope you find them useful too.

Let us know if you have any questions...
Current Student
Schools: HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 04:38
Thanks,

you are right, the RoI on Indian schools is phenomenal

But i would strongly recommend at least sending a few apps abroad.

and ISB over IIMs..
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 07:19
running boosts IQ? :lol:
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 07:51
Hi gaurav,
Congrats man for such a gr88888... score... hey i have just finished with my GMAT and got only 680( Q 49, V 33) :cry:
Can u plz gv sm tips to improve my verbal score as i m thinking to retake the test?
thanks in advance...
  [#permalink] 27 Jul 2007, 07:51