Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [53]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V48
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: 770: V47 - Q50: Some experience & strategy [#permalink]
can you explain what materials you used and tests followed.
It will be helpful if you explain the method of preparation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Mechmeera wrote:
can you explain what materials you used and tests followed.
It will be helpful if you explain the method of preparation.

My mock test is mainly PowerPrep, GMAT Prep. I also try Princeton and Cambridge mock test but the type of question are not as good.

To improve, I have sets of question divided into problem types (for Sentence: S-V agreement, Preposition, Parallel, Word Choice. For CR: Weaken, Strengthen, Infer...). When you do a bunch of them together, you will notice pattern in question and answer. I found that very helpful. I do have access to a massive amount of material from my tutor and I'm not sure how much time it will take if you have to compose your own list. But I think it will worth a try.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
congratulation! that is an amazing score!

Could you share with us the resources that you used? By the way, can you illustrate your CR-method in approaching this question? it would be a great help for me!

(source: OG)
The spacing of the four holes on a fragment of a bone flute excavated at a Neanderthal campsite is just what is required to play the third through sixth notes of the diatonic scale—the seven-note musical scale used in much of Western music since the Renaissance. Musicologists therefore hypothesize that the diatonic musical scale was developed and used thousands of years before it was adopted by Western musicians.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the hypothesis?

(A) Bone flutes were probably the only musical instrument made by Neanderthals.
(B) No musical instrument that is known to have used a diatonic scale is of an earlier date than the flute found at the Neanderthal campsite.
(C) The flute was made from a cave-bear bone and the campsite at which the flute fragment was excavated was in a cave that also contained skeletal remains of cave bears.
(D) Flutes are the simplest wind instrument that can be constructed to allow playing a diatonic scale.
(E) The cave-bear leg bone used to make the Neanderthal flute would have been long enough to make a flute capable of playing a complete diatonic scale.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
nhattruong1302 wrote:
congratulation! that is an amazing score!

Could you share with us the resources that you used? By the way, can you illustrate your CR-method in approaching this question? it would be a great help for me!

(source: OG)
The spacing of the four holes on a fragment of a bone flute excavated at a Neanderthal campsite is just what is required to play the third through sixth notes of the diatonic scale—the seven-note musical scale used in much of Western music since the Renaissance. Musicologists therefore hypothesize that the diatonic musical scale was developed and used thousands of years before it was adopted by Western musicians.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the hypothesis?

(A) Bone flutes were probably the only musical instrument made by Neanderthals.
(B) No musical instrument that is known to have used a diatonic scale is of an earlier date than the flute found at the Neanderthal campsite.
(C) The flute was made from a cave-bear bone and the campsite at which the flute fragment was excavated was in a cave that also contained skeletal remains of cave bears.
(D) Flutes are the simplest wind instrument that can be constructed to allow playing a diatonic scale.
(E) The cave-bear leg bone used to make the Neanderthal flute would have been long enough to make a flute capable of playing a complete diatonic scale.

The resource that I used belong to my teacher. However, most of the questions are actually on this forum. I'll find some time and post a separate topic listing question by type so you can practice.

As for the question:
Step 1: This is a STRENGTHEN question: "supports". Information need: "Hypothesis"

Step 2: Found "hypothesize" in last sentence. Read last sentence to know what is hypothesis. I don't know what "diatonic musical scale" is ("diatonic musical scale" is the main subject of this sentence so you should not risk guest it) + "therefore" mean the hypothesis is a conclusion. If I want to strengthen conclusion, I need to find the information lead to that conclusion and support it one way or another. --> Read up.

Step 3: Read first sentence: I now known "diatonic musical scale" is "the seven-note musical scale". I also know the information lead to the hypothesis is "The spacing of the four holes on a fragment of a bone flute" --> To strengthen, I probably need something that link the "bone flute" to the "scale" --> I have an idea what I am looking for in the answer.

Step 4: Skim over the answer and do a initial elimination:
A. It mentions "only" instrument. As a rule of thumb, if an answer have "only", "every" or "all", you can consider it eliminate. The reason is any answer that make a claim of "only", "every", "all" is making an ASSUMPTION, often an unsupported one and GMAT consider that the biggest mistake --> eliminate.

B. It mentions "scale" and "the (bone) flute" which is close to what we are look at --> Leave it for now.

C. It doesn't mention "scale" + it clearly talk about the material while we are discussing function "scale" --> OUT OF SCOPE--> eliminate.

D. It mentions "scale" BUT it doesn't mention the "bone". It is also over GENERALIZE, we are discussing "bone flute" which is very specific instrument but this answer mention "Flute", not "the flute" --> eliminate. (I eliminate it immediately but if you are not convince, leave it for now)

E. It mentions "bone...flute", and scale --> leave it for now

--> We have B and E left (or B, D, and E if you don't dare to eliminate D just yet)

Step 5: Reasoning:

As mention in step 3, I know I need to find something that link the "bone flute" with the "scale" to strengthen the hypothesis.

B "No other instrument" is answer is IRRELEVANT because I don't care about the other instrument. I care about linking this particular bone flute to the scale --> eliminate.

D "Flute" is over GENERALIZE + IRRELEVANT because it again doesn't talk about the "bone flute" --> eliminate.

E Obviously linking the "bone flute" to the scale by pointing out the original material could make an instrument that is capable of covering the whole scale --> CHOOSE.

I know it seems very long and complicated way to answer the question (and in this case I end up reading the whole paragraph anyway). But I'm verbalize everything I will be thinking to answer this question. The actual process takes only a little time when you do it often. Beside, after Step 3 I very much have an idea of what I am looking for. Usually I will choose option E the second I skim through it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
770: V47 - Q50: Some experience & strategy [#permalink]
Thank you for your brilliant guidance, that is very helpful for me

Btw, how should I practice to master this approach? Are there any exception for CR question type?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
nhattruong1302 wrote:
Thank you for your brilliant guidance, that is very helpful for me

Btw, how should I practice to master this approach? Are there any exception for CR question type?

The best way is to find a whole list of question that is of the same type (Weaken, Strengthen...) as I mentions before. Doing 10 of them back to back really bring out the similarity.

Boldface (the question about what is the role of the bold section) is the exception which you can't used this on. Strengthen and Weaken are actually the two easiest type. The question that require you to point out the underline assumption of a reasoning or to answer what can you infer from the given information are harder.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks again, I will practice this approach and then figure it out whether it is the best fix for me!
I am in HCM too, could you share with me some information about the course that you enrolled in? I really want to beat the GMAT!
Great thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Congratulations on you fantastic score. Pls guide/ provide more information on the
1. quant review sheet used before taking test, as mentioned in your
comment to review quant basics.
2. If it's inference/ assumption question then reading the full and understanind helps?
3. I'm not able to increase my verbal score from 20. RC eats my time, as RC is important how should I plan so that my entire verbal score will improve.

Thanks,

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
lipsi18 wrote:
Congratulations on you fantastic score. Pls guide/ provide more information on the
1. quant review sheet used before taking test, as mentioned in your
comment to review quant basics.
2. If it's inference/ assumption question then reading the full and understanind helps?
3. I'm not able to increase my verbal score from 20. RC eats my time, as RC is important how should I plan so that my entire verbal score will improve.

Thanks,

1. I first learn how to set up my scratch paper here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... tch-paper/. However, I have to adapted it to my timing. I divided the whole test into four section: 25, 15, 15, 20 mins. Because the clock countdown, the following time left will mark the end of each section: 50, 35, 20, 0. First section each include 10 question. last section only include 7. What I have is 6 sheet set up as the first picture (which divided the paper into 5 part for 5 question/sheet). At the end of sheet 2, I write 50 (the amount of time I have left), end of sheet 4 is 35, end of sheet 6 is 20. Last 2 sheet set up as the rest of the picture (divided into 4) with the last part on the last page cross out (as the last section only have 7 question). I hope this help.

2. Even for Inference/assumption, you still need to follow the step. This method does save you some extra reading sometime but more importantly it allow you to understand the argument better since you are tracing a line of thought backward. It also make the error (especially in assumption) clearer.

3. RC took time longer than usual, that is true. If I don't encounter any RC in any of the section, I usually finish the section 3-4 mins earlier than expects and that is fine. You need to account for RC taking longer when you time your progress. To save time, in the beginning, read the first sentences of the paragraph first then skim down. Make note of thing such as linking world like Furthermore, However..., name (of people, place...). Linking word will also give you an understanding what is the relationship between part. Ex: For example mean the following is an example supporting the previous (knowing that is enough, don't read on). However means the following is against the previous. Furthermore is the following support the previous. These words give you the structure of the paragraph. I suggest to improve you should print out a lot of paragraph and practice this with a pencil. For each half A4 paragraph, you should be able to map it out in under 30 seconds. GMAT questions often are not random. The question they ask you will concern information that move from top to bottom with a few general idea question at the beginning or end.

A map of the paragraph could be like this: First line say that the paragraph author support idea A. It is because of B and C. He then explains C (without further mention B, it happen, a lot) and give example C'. Second paragraph start with However and refuse C because of D. D is promoted by person X and organization Y. However, person T argue that X and Y don't account for E when they think about D. Last paragraph concludes that C is still in debate and we need to learn more about E effect of D before we can conclude about C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I live in hcmc too. Can you share some info about your tutor.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
The method suggested for CR is great, thank you very much for sharing it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Congratulation on your admirable result. Appreciated for your sharing strategy, especially in Critical reasoning. In this field (CR), I have a few questions as below:

1. What is your rationale (or why do you think) that only read the sentence carefully which includes the “exact word” in the question without reading the premise (“reading it from end to end”) is the enough condition to solve the CR question? (I don’t mention the case the question includes this plan, this substance as you have already solved a OG example)
2. In your side, is there any risk that you could choose the wrong answer if you follow up this strategy? If yes, pls explain the reason.
3. Could you take an examples (level 700+) and give explanation based on this strategy without reading other premise?
4. You mention that Strengthen and Weaken are easiest types, while Assumption and Inference is harder. In my side, the approach to Strengthen, Weaken and Assumption is similar as one must find the assumption to break Strengthen, Weaken and Assumption question types. As such, the level of difficulty is the same among these types, except for that Assumption need additional negation testing.
Is there any wrong in my mind? And could you give more explanation why in your side, the assumption is harder than Strengthen and Weaken?

Look forward on your response. Great thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM