Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

780. math 51 verbal 47

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2005, 20:43
Awesome job Honghu....780 is really incredible.

All the very best for your apps to phd.

Please could you let us know the difficulty level of math questions. Was it tougher/easier than the challenges/board here. Probability? Combination? How were the DS questions. Details appreciated. it would help us all.

Thanks

Believe in yourself.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2005, 21:06
Math is definitely easier than the challenge, easier than a lot of the questions posted in this forum too, I think. If you can solve 9 out of ten questions posted here, I think you won't have a big problem for math in the test. I took a vow before the test that I cannot share the details of the questions even in parts so I can't tell you too much details but there are definitely some combination and permutation questions, percentage of increase questions, work questions, PS questions that test your understanding of the (a^2-b^2) formula that we've encountered many times in the challenges ... It's not out of scope of what we talk here at all.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2005, 21:50
Thanks for the tips. Will start focussing on problems here on this forum.

Thanks

Believe in yourself.

Director
Director
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 00:24
Gosh! What can I say!

Work, family, interest in studies and great posts - You deserve a standing ovation.

With esteem...
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 00:30
:band

congratulations !!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 01:05
Congratulations Hong Hu!!! 780 is an awesome score!!! I'm sure you've very hard for it and you definitely deserve it! Your posts have been very insightful and I was very sure of you crossing the 700 barrier!

Good luck with your applications!
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 22

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 04:21
hong hu

congrats for that score i was guessing u r score before u took the exam and i was 100% sure u will get 750+ but i am glad u got more i guess all u r hard work paid off well

well done and all theb best

dont forget to celebrate lady!!

rxs0005
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 07:25
HongHu,

Congratulaitons! incredible scores. You are really the one I will follow.

All the best in your applications.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CONGRATULATIONS HONGHU [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 07:39
Jeeeeez. Its an awesome score. Its toooooo good. I was checking the GMAT experiences everyday and waiting to see your score, as I vaguely remember that you had yours on 12th Feb. You ROCK!!
Excellent Score and your point prove once again that there is no shortcut for Hardwork. Your responses and reasoning says it all. I admire the way you used to answer all the queries.

All the best with your APPS.
Aryan
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 08:53
good job HongHu,

I know you are going to take the test in this week, so I keep checking the board, hoping to see your post. CONGRADULATION!!! You cracked it. I know you will do good, but 780, gosh, what an Awesome score.

I am studying some chinese material too, hope I can score 700+ as you do. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 09:25
Thats such an awesome score...I honestly believe along if we all have like one or two good guides at the most and all stay super regular with the forum its very achievable to get 750+ just cause this forum makes u learn new stuff others may see and keeps re-teaching u stuff u knw so u dont forget it...and with everyones opinion in it u see every angle u can on a question...
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 12:18
Congratulations Honghu. Thats a great score.

Would you be able to comment on the math challenges? Were they useful?
How can we improve them? Do you want to contribute to the premium forum in any way?

thanks
Praetorian
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 13:06
Praetorian/Hong Hu..Others,

Another quick question. Quants definitely as recommended GMAT club is the focus.
I found this other site. Any thoughts for math from here. Are they representative?

http://questions.ascenteducation.com/ii ... _equation/

Also, I had posted this question previously but how useful is the LSAT CR and RC book?

Thanks

Believe in yourself.

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 17:18
HongHU

...congrats....I knew you were going to score great.....good luck.! you should take pride not only in your good score but also the fact that you helped us all alot!

Hey...I got to admit, I am not too old. but with my work....I feel like I am 50! I mean the work load is so much, that I cant focus on my prep....I commend you that you pulled thru this while working....kudos to you!

good luck to you in the future...I suggest you should apply to HBS or Wharton Phd prgrams too...remember your GMAT score is valid for 5 yrs...

Last edited by FN on 16 Feb 2005, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 17:52
Congrats HongHu. I knew you were gonna ace that sucker. Now it's time for me to tap your brain. Please do not leave the forum because i believe you can be of help to peeps like me who are still preparing. Congratulations once again.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 18:39
Praetorian wrote:
Congratulations Honghu. Thats a great score.

Would you be able to comment on the math challenges? Were they useful?
How can we improve them? Do you want to contribute to the premium forum in any way?

thanks
Praetorian

Thanks Praetorian! I have already commented on the 16th challenge after I did it. I think the challenges are great and definitely should continue. It gives the forum members great benefit in many aspects. Some of the questions actually are good prediction questions for the real tests, and the fact that they are much harder gives people the chance to feel what under pressure feels like.

I have benefited from the forum a lot, and I will definitely try to keep around. If there's anyway I could contribute more in the regular forums as well as the premium forums, I would love to do so. :)
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2005, 04:54
First of all, tons of congrats. Awesome score mate!!
Hong hu, can you suggest what is the best way to crack CR and RC for Gmat?
S

Regards, S

SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2005, 08:29
Unlike math and grammar, I believe RC and CR depends more heavily on ones accumulated skills over a long period. One gets better with these things naturally when you use the language more often. Read different materials, write out your own opinions, participate in forum debate, all of these will help you getting the sense of the language.

However, most of us are preparing to take the test within several month, so long term strategy may not work. To get immediate short term improvement, I would suggest you focus your reading and practise on GMAT materials. (In other words, don't go read a novel or magazine etc.) I personally believe that the passages that were used in previous GMAT tests, such as those included in the OG, would be what I'd be focusing on.

I still remember a long long time ago, when I was in high school, my teacher asked me to read a part of a fiction to my class. I didn't like descriptions of environments at the time. When I read a book I would usually skip all those about how sun was coming up and trees were green and stuff, and jump to the interactions among people. I read the passages word by word, and my heart went into it when I read it. I enjoyed reading it, and the story made my classmates laugh at several occasions. When I finished it, my teacher said that I didn't read the first paragraph well where the author described smokes rising from a river and such. That was when I first realized the difference between reading a passage word by word and reading a passage using my heart.

The reason I went to such length to talk about reading is that I truly believe that it is very important. In a test it is very likely that you'd read the words, without taking them in. Then you'd go look at the questions, and try to come back to find your answer. But your time is tight, so you don't have time to re-read the passage, therefore you have to find something that sounds close, and choose it. Often, it would be the wrong answer.

What you should do, is to really read the passage, using your heart. Practise this, you'll know what I mean. You'll feel the difference yourself. When you read it, you'll truly understand what the author is saying. When you look at the questions, you can almost answer it already, without having to go back to the passage. You only need to go back to it to get a confirmation, or get the details that you omitted when you read it.

Critical reasoning is the same thing. You must truly understand what the author is arguing. Then you'll see his logic, and be able to find his assumptions and missing links, and what would weaken and strengthen his arguments. I'm not a native speaker so I'm not very good at grammar, but I feel that trying to understand the sentence is as important as learning all the grammartical rules and idomatic usages in helping me to find the correct answer.

Sorry that I have rambled so long. Hope this could be of a little help to you. :)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2005, 11:16
Congratulations HongHu.. amazing.. too good..
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2005, 11:19
Many many (much much, more more all +ve comparatives.. :-D ) congratulations to you for such a wonderful score (780 gashh.. awsome).. :band

Best of luck for ur applications...

U have been so much an inspiration for us. I was always looking at ur freaking number of posts which almost always was greater than next six putting altogether. I was/am also a fan of ur RC skills where ur percentage accuracy was almost 100%.

Ur inputs will be much more helpful. I have also adopted that reading from heart approach (for RC) and I am really observing the improvement but in doing so, I am loosing the grip on my timing. I am loosing alot of time in solving the RC questions. Will you suggest how I can improve the timing while I am reading cautiously at the same time?

Thanks for all your suggestions and again Best of luck for ur apps.
  [#permalink] 17 Feb 2005, 11:19