Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

780 (Q51,V45) Thanks Gmat Club !

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [4] , given: 6

780 (Q51,V45) Thanks Gmat Club ! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 10:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi, I just passed the GMAT last Saturday and got 780. Since feedbacks and posts I read here were really useful in my training I wanted to give back a little bit and give my own feedback :).

First about the GMAT's day experience :
- I passed the exam in the UK and I really found that the people at the test center were really professional. I was a little bit concerned because I had some feedbacks from people who had bad experiences with test centers but there was really nothing to complain about, no noise or disturbance and everything was clearly explained.

- Concerning the AWA part (for which I don't have the result yet, I thought they would give me the computer's grade but no) I was not well prepared at all. I had just learnt the Chineseburned template and built something out of it. I knew the time was quite of a challenge and it was hard to finish within 30 min but in the test day it was even harder than what I imagined and I barely finished on time. I should probably have worked harder on this one, especially concerning the time management which would have put me in a better position during the test. I don't think I really did a good performance on this one, but it is hard to tell because of the format of this part.

- The IR part was yet another challenge. I was pretty confident before the test because as with the quant part, I use to be good at it. I found some questions quite harder than what I expected. Especially the sets of 3 series of 3 Yes/No questions (I got two of those...). Sometimes I just felt that the question was not really relevant and both Y or no answers were possible depending on how the references were understood.

Ok, after IR and AWA I was not really happy about my performance but whatever, now let the serious business begins !

- For the quant part I was both very confident (always scored 51 in every prep test) and also a little bit scared because I knew that missing a couple of answers could screw your score heavily. I was particularly careful about the small words in the questions that can make a HUGE difference. It is always so frustrating to answer a question wrong because you assumed x was integer/positive when in fact it is not stipulated. Also be careful about the time, at the beginning of the quant part I got blocked at one question (which was not particularly difficult but it involved ratio such as 2:3:2:1 and I was not really confident about how to understand it) and I spent quite a huge amount of time on it to the point that I was almost 5 minutes late on the timing. Hopefully I managed to answer some questions quickly and finished with almost 10 minutes left on the clock but it is always hard to decide what to do when it happens at the beginning of the trial (if it happens in the end you know whether you have spare time or not) because if you decide to use a lot of time on one particular question and the rest of the test is not any easier : you can't get this time back and you are kinda screwed with no time for the last questions.

- The verbal part is by far the part I worked the most and as a non-native speaker the hardest part. For the sentence correction the questions were hard and I got numerous "all-underlined" sentences but luckily for me I got no idiom questions (I am not sure if it is still necessary to learn a lot of idioms for the future test takers). The reading comprehension texts were really difficult and I had some issues with understanding some part of the texts. Finally for the critical reasoning part I got at least 3 questions when I had to complete a sentence whereas I thought this kind of questions were not frequent (maybe these questions are becoming more frequent in the GMAT ?)

Ok now about my training :

I began preparing early of January and worked with the MGMAT books (especially the one on sentence correction which is very good) as well as OG verbal 2nd edition. I also used the sentence correction forum of this site to look at new questions and raise some questions for the expert to answer :). Finally I got the additional question pack from official GMAT prep which is also VERY GOOD.

For the quant part I trained with the gmat club CAT tests as well as other CAT tests. I already had the sufficient math level to answer the question. I just tried to answer the greater number of questions in order to be comfortable with the time and with the format of this part. Gmat club CAT tests are very good but maybe they are even too hard and I would not advise somebody to train with them unless they already have a very good math level. The questions from these CAT are way above the level required for the GMAT.

I did the CAT test of MGMAT and got the following results :

MGMAT 1 : 740
MGMAT 2 : 750
MGMAT 3 : 740
MGMAT 4 : 760
MGMAT 5 : 750
MGMAT 6 : 750

MGMAT quant is probably harder than the real test whereas MGMAT verbal is probably easier. In overall, they seem to gauge very well the score, just underestimating it a little bit. Of course I also did the 2 GMAT official prep test :
GMAT prep 1 : 760
GMAT prep 2 : 770

The verbal questions seem easier than the real tests but they grade it probably harder than real GMAT (got only 3 mistakes on verbal on the second one and still got 45)

If I had to train again I would probably train a little bit more on the AWA part. Yes it is not that important but still it is better to perform well in order to be in a good mindset for the rest of the test and also it is not hard to do something correct.

Ok that's it, I will maybe try to give more details about my post and edit it later on :)

Last edited by Darmody on 04 Mar 2013, 11:17, edited 3 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 119

Premium Member
Re: 780 (Q51,V45) Thanks Gmat Club ! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 11:11
Quote:
(always scored 51 in every prep test)
Wow! You're quite amazing! Congratulations! You had solid scores throughout. :-D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 151

Re: 780 (Q51,V45) Thanks Gmat Club ! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 11:25
Awesome awesome score man! Can u share d secret of ur stellar quant score :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: 780 (Q51,V45) Thanks Gmat Club ! [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 07:59
Fantabulous (fantastic+fabulous) is the word for you!
Congrats- this is a stellar performance.

regards,
N
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: 780 (Q51,V45) Thanks Gmat Club ! [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 14:04
shreerajp99 wrote:
Awesome awesome score man! Can u share d secret of ur stellar quant score :)

I don't have any secret unfortunately :) I have a mathematical background so it was probably a little bit more easy for me.

The only advice I can give is to train as much as possible and really do not overestimate it ! You don't need to be a genius or to have a phd in math in order to score well in GMAT, most of the exercise are not complicated once you know how to solve them and I am pretty sure that anybody can score well on this section with sufficient practice !

Actually, I almost find the verbal part of the GMAT to be much harder to work on and to improve if you are not inherently good at it. For the critical reasoning, if your mind is not good at this type of exercise it will probably be much harder to train for it, and for the reading comprehension you need to have a good knowledge of English in order to understand all the small subtleties in the texts. On the other side for the quant part you just have to learn to solve the 10/20 type of exercise and you will be good to go !
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 9

Re: 780 (Q51,V45) Thanks Gmat Club ! [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 13:52
Hey Darmondy,

First, congratulations on your stellar score!

Second, I know you are a math genius, but how did you find G-prep question pack vs the real questions? I found those problems (especially the harder ones) harder than any that I found in OG 12 or 13. How was your impression?
Manager
Manager

Re: 780 (Q51,V45) Thanks Gmat Club ! [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 14:52
bellcurve wrote:
Hey Darmondy,

First, congratulations on your stellar score!

Second, I know you are a math genius, but how did you find G-prep question pack vs the real questions? I found those problems (especially the harder ones) harder than any that I found in OG 12 or 13. How was your impression?

Hi thanks you :)

First I am by no mean a "math genius" and if I were, the GMAT would definitely not be a good test to prove it :) . You really don't need to be a math genius to score well in the quant GMAT.

I can't really answer you as I did not practice on OG12 or 13, so I can't compare with the G-prep question pack. I only used G prep question pach + OG verbal and I think the questions were good and if you take the most difficult question they were quite close to what I get on the actual GMAT. The only part where I was quite surprised at the difficulty in the real GMAT was the reading comprehension which I found harder than what I experienced during my preparation (the texts where quite hard to understand with a lot of difficult and ambiguous words)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 780 (Q51,V45) Thanks Gmat Club ! [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 11:11
Impressive. Congratulations!
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 253

Kudos [?]: 954 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 780 (Q51,V45) Thanks Gmat Club ! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 13:48
Expert's post
Manager
Manager

Re: 780 (Q51,V45) Thanks Gmat Club ! [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 05:55
Darmody,

One more follow up question on G-prep question pack, if you don't mind. How was your accuracy in G-prep question pack questions? Did you get every question in there correct in your first try?

Thanks,
BC
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 66

Re: 780 (Q51,V45) Thanks Gmat Club ! [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 08:51
Expert's post
Very nicely done, Darmody. This might be the first post I've ever seen where someone scores extremely high in the GMAT and laments their AWA preparation! :-D

Thanks for sharing some of your prep with the community!

-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: 780 (Q51,V45) Thanks Gmat Club ! [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 11:03
bellcurve wrote:
Darmody,

One more follow up question on G-prep question pack, if you don't mind. How was your accuracy in G-prep question pack questions? Did you get every question in there correct in your first try?

Thanks,
BC

most of the quant question yes, and for the verbal question I would say maybe 8 or 9 out of 10
Manager
Manager

Re: 780 (Q51,V45) Thanks Gmat Club ! [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 13:50
Sorry, I am just trying to gauge myself. When you said most of the quant Qs yes, do you mean 99% or 90%?

Thanks,
BC
Re: 780 (Q51,V45) Thanks Gmat Club !   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2013, 13:50