Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

8:00 AM GMAT Time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

8:00 AM GMAT Time [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 08:00
So I have my GMAT scheduled for the middle of August at 8:00 in the morning (only time slot that was available). I usually fare better studying later at night. Should I start studying before work in the morning to adjust my brain to thinking "earlier" in the morning? Just curious if anyone else has run into this situation, and what he/she did. I would like to avoid the early morning study if possible, however, I also dont want to be Brain dead come the morning of...
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 56

Re: 8:00 AM GMAT Time [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 08:33
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: 8:00 AM GMAT Time [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 09:58
It's not a bad idea to start rotating some early study sessions into your routine. I just started doing this recently and I was actually like it. I find that I'm actually a little more focused 1-2 hours before I go to work than I am after working 9-10 hours.

At the very least, you should take a practice test under the same conditions that you will take the real test. Wake up at the same time and eat a similar meal.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: 8:00 AM GMAT Time [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 10:44
Thank you. I guess I need to go to sleep earlier and get up earlier. Isn't there an old saying...early to bed, early to rise...Ben Franklin I think.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9413 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 8:00 AM GMAT Time [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 11:26
Expert's post
I had my test at 8 or 9 AM and I was not an early bird at that time.
I did usually get up around 8 or so and study for a few hours and then show up to work around 11 AM (worked it out with my boss).

On the test day I had to get up at 7 and be at the test center by 8 to be seated by who knows when.

What I ended up doing was get up 2 days in a row before my test at 7 AM and make sure I kept the schedule. The day before the test I took GMAT Prep at the same time as I would real GMAT.

So, to answer your question - dont' think you need to change your schedule in any major way. If you know it - you will know it at any time as long as you are not too stressed out. It does help to start waking up at the same time as the test a few days before.

On the other hand, If you are not productive in the morning, don't think studying GMAT will make you productive. In case you are affected by morning in some significant way - try taking some tests in the morning and compare your results to those in the afternoon (you can use GMAT Score Estimator/Calculator to draw a common line between them).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 14

Re: 8:00 AM GMAT Time [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 11:39
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
So, to answer your question - dont' think you need to change your schedule in any major way. If you know it - you will know it at any time as long as you are not too stressed out. It does help to start waking up at the same time as the test a few days before.

I agree on this, concentration and stamina are the most important for GMAT and any other test. I remember when I was studying for CFA. I completely changed my daily routine because I am night learner. Took some three weeks of vacation before the exam, going to bed at 4:30 a.m and waking up at noon or even later.

On the CFA test day, you have to show up at 8:00 so I realized that it is the best for me not to sleep the night before at all. So, instead of getting to bed at 4:30-5:00 a.m. as usual, I spent that 2 hours refreshing formulas. The test day went more than well and I started to feel exhausted only 1 or 2 hours after the end of the afternoon session - somewhere between 6 and 7 p.m.

My advice is - don't worry too much about your test time, just be focused and prepared. Even the sleepless night wouldn't prevent you from scoring high.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Manager
Manager

Re: 8:00 AM GMAT Time [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 16:36
Wow...a CFA all nighter. I guess I wont worry too much then. It is on a saturday and I have to get up between 7:30 and 8:00 each day for work anyway to beat the California traffic. My brain doesnt usually warm up for work until around 10:00 AM or so. :)

Thank you for the advice!
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

Re: 8:00 AM GMAT Time [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 09:59
CaliCpa wrote:
Wow...a CFA all nighter. I guess I wont worry too much then. It is on a saturday and I have to get up between 7:30 and 8:00 each day for work anyway to beat the California traffic. My brain doesnt usually warm up for work until around 10:00 AM or so. :)

That's the key. I realized that my brain needs some time in the morning and that it runs much better without sleeping at all the night before than with some 5 or 6 hours of low quality sleep.

Of course, we are all different, but I can stay wake all night if I have to and go to work in the morning like every other day. I simply go to bed earlier next evening (usually around 6:30-7:00 p.m.) to make up the lack of sleep from previous night. It is very convenient for early exams and stuff like that, but be cautious if you are not already like that.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 21

Re: 8:00 AM GMAT Time [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 21:17
CaliCpa wrote:

Drink a coffee without milk. :P That should make your brain warm up pretty fast. (No disrespect meant.)

But give it a try. It works for me. You should make it a habit to get up early at 6am, at least till August.

I am ready to fall, but not before I fly.

Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: 8:00 AM GMAT Time [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 04:58
CaliCpa wrote:

I don't think this means you're beating the traffic :wink: That is nice to be able to get to work so late.

Anyhow, I woke up at 6 am for the entire month before the test so that I could be extra chipper.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Re: 8:00 AM GMAT Time   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2009, 04:58