Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [1]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Round 2: 730 again.....completely crushed [#permalink]
Kudos
I don't understand, are you lacking in other areas in your application so badly that a 720 is inadequate? Doesn't a 730 get you past the cut for all the ultra elites?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Updated with the details. Sorry for the depressing read guys....
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Kudos
Dude 730 will be more than competitive for most schools I dont know why you're so concerned. You Q V split is almost 90%ile for both . Focus on the applications - I know of several people who couldn't get into a single MBA school for 2008 with scores as high as 770 and people who got into top schools with scores of 660. That goes to show how much more powerful essays are in terms of getting you into a top school than a super high gmat score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Kudos
Yes dude.Both your scores are consistent and let me tell you Gmat is one thing.Not the only thing!and how could you say that you are willing to drop the idea of pursuing Mba?certainly not with such an impressive score.Work on your applications...you have crossed the 700 barrier?isnt that gr8?i m sure u will get into ur dream school...cheers man!!! :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I don't understand what are you depressed about. 730 is a great score and not many people can get that. My practice tests scores from gmat prep and mgmat are all above 700s with gmat prep scores around 760, yet for the real gmat I got only 660. I'd be delighted to have just a 700 on my next attempt. I am not asking for more. Gmat is only a test. Go and have some fun.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [1]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Kudos
dude..first of all..you are not a good exam taker..so welcome to the club..YUP you know, i know and pretty much everyone on this forum knows that you are good..i mean you are 750+ material..but unfortunately on exam day our nerves get the best of us..

i had the same blown out feeling when i took my gmat a long long time ago..the first F---ing question on Quant blew me off..and it just threw me off my mantle.

so..here is what you do..take your gmat when you think you can calm your nerves..until then focus on your B-school essays..

and stick around this forum..it will help polish your skills...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Chineseburned, your nerves played a bad joke with you..... :(

my 2 cents,

I definitely would try again in a month without any preparation, but weekend warm-up before exam.

I have an old trick how to trick my nerves. I say myself what happens if I loose. I try to imagine that in detail and say that is not important, there are so many really important things, such as family, parents, friends. After that I say: "Now, I have to go and fight for each questions for each piece and be as better as possible regardless results". It is maybe strange but it works for me many years .....

I have an explanation for this trick as I like to explain all similar things. If I expect a very important exam/task/speech and something goes wrongs, my mind have a huge uncertainty what happens when I loose. my mind is a typical human mind and does not like uncertainty. And the critical level of uncertainty triggers panic and makes all thing worse. Merely What I do, I decrease uncertainty and my nerves cool down.

And again, your score is not so bad if you have a strong package.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Cant agree more with Walker.

Just chill Chineseburned. Have a drink...I am sure you will feel differently tomorrow morning. The more you have riding on the GMAT score , more nervous you are gonna get...so have attitude of "so what?" ...and unfortunately its easier said than done. but you have no option but try that.

Irrespective of everything...I am sure you have a great career awaiting.

Good Luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [1]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Kudos
walker wrote:
Chineseburned, your nerves played a bad joke with you..... :(

my 2 cents,

I definitely would try again in a month without any preparation, but weekend warm-up before exam.

I have an old trick how to trick my nerves. I say myself what happens if I loose. I try to imagine that in detail and say that is not important, there are so many really important things, such as family, parents, friends. After that I say: "Now, I have to go and fight for each questions for each piece and be as better as possible regardless results". It is maybe strange but it works for me many years .....

I have an explanation for this trick as I like to explain all similar things. If I expect a very important exam/task/speech and something goes wrongs, my mind have a huge uncertainty what happens when I loose. my mind is a typical human mind and does not like uncertainty. And the critical level of uncertainty triggers panic and makes all thing worse. Merely What I do, I decrease uncertainty and my nerves cool down.

And again, your score is not so bad if you have a strong package.

@Walker, you are really matured!
@Chineseburn,
congratunation, :band :band :band
730 is awsome score. I dream of it. Do not depressed.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
chineseburned, you don't need anyone to tell you that is a great score. 97th%ile is pretty damn good. You are above the average at Harvard. Anyway I do know how you feel and if you read my post from my first test it seems like we had similiar experience. The first question set the tone for the whole test. I just couldn't understand it and get it and it threw me off and had me nervous and behind time the whole test. I agree with Walker, stay fresh, don't get too crazy with studying , reschedule and go in and get it done. And verbal is a tough beast to slay. 41 is impressive. Over that, I mean we are talking about no more than probably 4-5 wrong. When the pressures on , and you are upset about quant, then you may lose sight of certain question aspects.

But if you have it in you to score 750 ,then go for it again. A month of hardcore studying isn't going to help too much. All you need to worry about is execution on test day.

Good Luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Schools:Chicago R2
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Kudos
Oh man!... Chineseburned, you're doing well. Yesterday I tried my first attempt cause I couldn't pastponed the test a weak ago without losing $250. So I decided to accept the challenge. I got Q49V35=690. 20 mins before the end of the torture I told myself f**k off (I don't care). A weak ago I already decided to retake in 2 months. So you are still 730' guy. Excellent result. Our people say: Professionalism means a stability in the excellence. Walker understands that and can prove. So if you really want to double the score you must do something new. Just do it - write essays, help people, meet your old friends, and maybe do something amazing at work. And reflect those in the essays. Who knows maybe next time we'll meet you as the King of Wall Street (or me :lol: )
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Kudos
Even if you are trying to compensate for an extremely low GPA, a 730 more than compensates for that. On Wharton's message boards, a prospective asked if he should retake after a 720. The adcom replied saying that a 720 eases any concerns they may have about academic aptitude. They recommended that he not retake it and focus on other aspects of his profile.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Indeed, 730 is a great score, but I can see wher you think yur efforts were a little shorted. I hope you still rock out your essays and get into your schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
maverick2011 wrote:
Even if you are trying to compensate for an extremely low GPA, a 730 more than compensates for that. On Wharton's message boards, a prospective asked if he should retake after a 720. The adcom replied saying that a 720 eases any concerns they may have about academic aptitude. They recommended that he not retake it and focus on other aspects of his profile.

I really think that 730 is a great score. I do agree that there are other aspects of application to work on. You can always re-take your GMAT again after improving other areas of your application if you want to, right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Seriously, 730 is an excellent score and there is absolutely no sense in retaking the GMAT to get a higher score.
I'm a student at Kellogg and know how the adcom considers GMAT scores. Even if you have a low GPA, a 730 is high enough to take away any concerns about your academic abilities. A higher score is not going to do anything for you. You're better off putting the extra effort in your essays.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks guys. I understand the score is not bad. However, given my decision to retake the test 2 months ago and then going through a much more focused and efficient preparation, the final outcome can only be a disappointment. Especially when I felt I was much much more ready than the first time I took the test. So, it is a confidence killer too. Another question is why I decided to retake, but since I did, I should've done better.

Anyway, after a week of rest and staying away from anything GMAT related, I decided to give it one final shot in 4 weeks. This time I won't study as much since I won't have the time and I'll try to not take it seriously at all. Will not be sending those scores, so if things go bad again, nobody will know.

This time I really need to work on my mental preparation. I'll re-read this thread and all the excellent advice you've given me every day from now until test day. Let's see what happens.

This will definitely be my last try on the GMAT. After that I'll focus on essays and research schools.

BTW, I got my AWA score and although I got a 6.0 again, it is of little consolation. It is amazing how I managed to get the exact same score in all three sections in my 2 takes. If only consistency was awarded as much as progress and excellence.... :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Schools:Chicago R2
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Chineseburned... 8-) you... you are a very target-oriented man as far as I see. 3d time, ohh, of course IMHO it's redundant but I do respect your perseverance. I'm about to bet that you'll get a bit more than 730. Or equal :wink: . It seems like sort of gambling for you. Anyway I wish you the best.

Cheers!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts