Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Really need help please. Restrategise need? [#permalink]
Any more inputs please.

I will take MGMAT 3 this Sat. Will let you guys know.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dear all, I just finsihed my MGMAT3.

GMATPrep 1:- Overall 640
MGMAT 0:- Overall: 660 (86%) Q47 (81%) V33 (69%)
MGMAT 1:- Overall: 680 (90%) Q41 (81%) V35 (77%)
MGMAT 2:- Overall: 680 (90%) Q46 (79%) V36 (81%)
MGMAT 3:- Overall: 710 (94%) Q46 (79%) V41 (93%)

Even though I got one RC repeated in the exam, the result is encouraging. THis time I improved the RC (83% correct) and CR (64% correct). But the trade off is my SC dropped from 76% correct to 40%. I spent too much time in RC and CR. I needed to guess the last 6 questions which are mainly SC.

For Quan, this time I managed the time better and could finish in time with a few guessing in the middle of the exam.

I thought I would get a poor result right after finished because of the guessing in Verb. THe 710 suprised me a bit.

ANy comment on my progress? Thank you.

Next week I will retake the GMATPrep1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 722 [0]
Send PM
I think your verbal score is awesome(41). If you can maintain a 41 on verbal and push quant by 2 points to 48, you are well into the 700's.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aaron22197 wrote:
I think your verbal score is awesome(41). If you can maintain a 41 on verbal and push quant by 2 points to 48, you are well into the 700's.

This is my first time to break into 40 level for verbal. So it is not a solid one. Let's see how I perform in the nex test.

My big project will be maintaining my performance in verbal and improve my Quan. I hope the quan in GMATPrep is alot easier so that I can break 40.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think u will get around 47/48 easily on GMATPREP if you have scored 46 on mGMAT. MGMAT questions are just too time consuming and some are way above GMAT level. I suggest GMATCLUB quant questions if you wish to solve difficult questions. GMATCLUB quant questions are difficult but almost every problem has a shortcut or a trap. It teaches you to pay attention to detail rather than just throwing 2 page solution problems at you like MGMAT does.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just retake GMATPrep 1. Result is discouraging.

710 (Q50, V38)

Because this is a retake (last try was 2 month ago), I expect to get 750...

Anyway, see lots of area for improvement. Need to work harder.

One thing confuses me. I got 9 wrong in Quan, I wonder why the score is still so high. Even though the score also depends on the difficulty of the questions, I expect that I cannot score 50 if I got 9 wrong.

Also for verb, I got 18 wrong!!! but still got 38..

Very confused. ANy idea?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Real Gmat has changed- Unfortunately, GPREP is no longer is an accurate indicator of your performance. Focus on getting # of questions right rather than your overall score.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
clubgmat25 wrote:
Real Gmat has changed- Unfortunately, GPREP is no longer is an accurate indicator of your performance. Focus on getting # of questions right rather than your overall score.

can you please elaborate on it Club? I do not believe it is true. What is the source? ("GPREP is no longer is an accurate indicator of your performance")
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just re-took the GMATPrep after one day, quite a few questions repeated.

Score: 770 (Q51, V44)

Only 3 wrong in Q, just managed to iprove from 50 to 51. (got 9 wrongs previously) :?: :?: :?:

Got 7 wrongs in V, score jumped from 38 to 44. (got 18 wrongs previously)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Schools:Life
Send PM
Wow judokan. This is amazing progress. How did you manage to increase your verbal score?
Did you only go through the OG and the supplaments or did you do other material as well?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Ali,

Please don’t take my improvement too seriously because there were around 6-7 questions repeated in both sections. But still, there are some improvements.

Materials used:
- OG11 and the 2 supplementary books
- MGMAT SC
- GMAT Club Forums – I used to ask questions for which OE is unavailable
- GMAT Club Challenge (haven’t started yet)

IMO, these 4 are most relevant to the real questions and are essential to score high in the real exam. IMO again, you don’t need anything else otherwise you will lose focus.

Here is my approach to prepare Quan:

(1) Do all question in OG11 and 2 books. Timed yourself.

(2) Do GMATPrep 1.

(3) Research your weak areas (combinations for me). Google the relevant contents and study in GMATClub Quan Forum. If your speed is too slow, you need more practice until you are familiar with the question types. Don’t worry, the day will come soon.

- Take MGMAT 1-3.

- Redo all questions in OG11, the 2 books and MGMAT 1-3. And tell yourself how stupid you are when you repeat the mistakes or “invent” new mistakes. So you will remember better.

- Take MGMAT 3-4

- Retake GMAT Prep 1 (where I am now)

- Redo all wrong in all previous exercises.

- Take GMATPrep 2. (likely be an indicator for your final score).

- Take MGMAT 5-6, GMATClub Challenge to perfect your skills

- Retake GMATPrep 2

Things that I did routinely/continuously:
- Log errors. Write down the important concepts, rules or shortcuts you discovered when doing exercise.
- Review the concepts and shortcuts every week

For Verb, my strategy is similar. What I think important are:
- Do OG11 and the supplementary questions twice
- For the SC questions, do at least 3 times
- Focusing on the speed when doing SC, aim at finishing within 30 sec (my time is 70 sec after doing all questions once)
- Then, you will have more time on RC and CR. As a non-native speaker, I think these 2 sections have no shortcut, I need sufficient time to understand the passages before visiting the questions.

Last but not least, searched this forum, you will find many successful stories. Read the hints form the 700ers, try to understand why they scored high. I can remember a few which are very important (sorry that I forgot the names of the authors):

- for RC or CR, when you have 2 very close answer left, focus on the meaning of the key words, instead of the overall meaning of the sentences to find out the subtle difference.

- try to finish AWA ASAP to leave more energy for the next 2 sections

- be careful of (C)-trap in DS

- if you are unsure about a SC question which is of 2-3 split, like this one:
(A) ….. derived … as ….unconstitutional… .
(B) ….. derived … as ….. unconstitutional ….
(C) ….. derived … ….. unconstitutional
(D) ….. derived … ….. unconstitutional
(E) ….. derived … ….. unconstitutional
lean to the 3 (i.e. C, D, E)

- In Quan, if you can’t even think of how to approach a question in the first 1.5 minutes, skip it, because it is unlikely for you to answer it correctly within the next 1 minute.

- you should have the determination to skip questions; and you should not give up too easily. Try to strike a balance between them. One solution is to practice more, then you will less likely to see unfamiliar question types. And if you can finish easy questions faster, you have more time for the difficult ones. And when you build up your experience, you will be able to spot the question type you cannot answer within 2 mins, so you know you have to skip. Again don’t abuse the skip.

- I cannot emphasize enough the importance of practicing SC, because it is the only section you can reliably improve the hit rate through practice. And you can improve the speed.

- You should maintain an error log. Questions you got wrong in the 1st time will likely trap you again. But after they successfully trapped you twice. You will remember them and revenge : )

- During your idle time (e.g. waiting a bus), try to summarize mentally what you learnt last night. E.g. Any new question types? What are the tricky ones? Are they distance-velocity-time type? Ratio/proportion? Word problem? Factor? Inequality? Why they are tricky to you? This is a very useful exercise for me. Now when I see a question, I can immediately open my mental directory, and I will remember the relevant questions I did.

- Try to memorize the rules/concepts/shortcuts. E.g. if you know the ratio of A to B only, you cannot find out the ration of A+3 to B+3 in DS. E.g. for consecutive series, if you know the number of terms, you know the SD, you do not need to know the exact value of any term. These rules are simple, you can prove them by inserting numbers. But if you memorize the rules, you can answer those questions in 5 sec.

- more rules: almost all numbers have even number of positive factors. Even prime number has two factors, (i.e. 1 and the prime number itself). One exception is the number equal to the square of a prime number, e.g. 4, 9, 25, they all have exactly 3 factors, i.e. 1, the prime number and the sq of the prime number

- if x=y if a bisector of line segment AB, if the coordinates of A is (x,y), then B should be (y,x)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Schools:Life
Send PM
Excellent stuff Judokan. Very helpful. btw, if you have notes typed up notes to share pls do.
Much obliged.
Ali
Manager
Manager
Send PM
x-ALI-x wrote:
Excellent stuff Judokan. Very helpful. btw, if you have notes typed up notes to share pls do.
Much obliged.
Ali

my note is like a mess now. And I don't have time to structure it. You can search the forums. There are two sets of notes very useful.. Mine was largely based on them
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just finished the

MGMAT 4: Overall: 710 (94%) Q51 (99%) V36 (81%)

the Quan is ok, but verbal is no good.

Tried to improve in speed in doing verbal. Ok to finish within 75 min.

But the average time for SC still needs 1:40. And hit rate only 65%...

need more practise in SC.

ANy advice?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just took the GMAT Club test and MGMAT 5. (see post no. 1)

Got some improvement overall. Not a big one, but in good progress.

In the MGMAT 5, in quan, I did not look at the time and left the Q37 unanswered. Maybe that is the reason I can only get Q50.

I think I can get Q50 V40 in the real one. Still has one month to go.

BTW, I highly recommend the GMAT Club test. Without it, I will not as confident as I am now to score Q50 in the real one. Especially I got it by posting 200 messages. Extremely value for the "money".

But when you try GMAT CLub test, please note that (IMO) the test is much less time-consuming than the GMATPrep and MGMAT Quan. I normally finish the GMAT Club one with 10mins left. So it may not be a good tool to train your speed.

Next week, i will have my first take for GMATPrep 2. Hope I will get more confidence from it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Keep record my progress [#permalink]
Just took the GMP 2 this morning: Overall: 750 (??%) Q50 (??%) V40 (??%)

The score is ok, but seems many people said the GMATP gives an inflated the score. I would not be too happy about that. Retake next week and hoping a 800 : )

ALso see a lot of places for improvement. Time was tight for Verb, did educated guess for one RC (4 questions).

Performance in quan is consistently good, got 5 wrong. Thanks GMAT Club test.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Keep record my progress [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts