Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2162

Kudos [?]: 7637 [9] , given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 20:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

8 Things NOT to Do at the Test Center

This past week we had a member who was asked to leave after looking at their notes during the break and another member last month had their score canceled for turning their cell phone on. These are very painful moments for everyone but these are GMAC's rules and it is important to know them and not to break them as the test administrator has their job to do. Make sure you know these.

Be Careful!

1. Testing aids, such as calculators, notes, or study guides, are not allowed at any time in the test center. This means - you cannot even bring them to the test center!

2. Personal items, such as cell phones, backpacks, wallets, purses, or handbags (see What to Bring to the Test Center) are not permitted in the testing room

3. Access to Telephones, cellular (mobile) phones, or other communication devices, Notes, Scratch paper, Calculators or watch calculators, Watches, stop watches, or watch alarms, Personal data assistants (PDAs), Beepers or pagers, Photographic devices, Stereos or radios, Any other electronic devices that could aid testing, Books or pamphlets, Dictionaries, translators, or thesauri, Pens or any other writing utensils, Rulers or any other measuring devices will not be permitted at any time while you are in the test center, during the test session or during breaks. I read this that you can use them before or after the exam but not after you check in and before you check out.

4. You will not be permitted to leave the testing room without the test administrator’s permission

5. You will not be allowed to eat, drink, or use tobacco while in the testing room, but may do so during scheduled breaks

6. If you want to go outside during a break, you must inform the test administrator where you are going, and you must remain in the immediate vicinity of the test center. Interesting - you actually can leave the testing area! But remember, you only have 8 min break

7. You must arrive at the Test Center at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled GMAT appointment. But then GMAC states also that "If you arrive more than 15 minutes after your scheduled appointment time, you may not be admitted"... so I guess anywhere between 30 mins before and 15 mins after.

8. And finally, just in case :wink: Weapons, including but not limited to firearms, knives, or any object that could be used as a weapon, are prohibited from the test center. These items are not allowed on the premises and may not be stored in the provided lockers. This policy includes off-duty law enforcement officers and persons with conceal and carry permits

Related Links:

Physical Environment of the Test Center
GMAT Test Center Reviews
Official MBA.com page about the test center regulations

Interested in seeing the check in process on the Test Day?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 4

Re: 8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 22:07
Thanks a ton, bb for this post. This is what I needed as I have my GMAT on this saturday and it's great that I know precisely what NOT to do during the test administration . Otherwise, I had hardly bothered about knowing the rules.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 3

Re: 8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 22:15
This post received
KUDOS
Also, don't hit on the invigilator before the exam if she's pretty.
The replacement pads (test simulation booklet) can come very very slowly...
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 7637 [2] , given: 3626

Re: 8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 22:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
openbox1 wrote:
Also, don't hit on the invigilator before the exam if she's pretty.
The replacement pads (test simulation booklet) can come very very slowly...

Nice Vocab!
I had to look this one up!
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/invigilator

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 03:50
Very useful post :) +1 for you.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 45

Re: 8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 11:15
Great post, thanks.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.65
WE: Sales (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 5

Re: 8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 16:37
This post received
KUDOS
When I took the GMAT I brought my laptop with me into the testing center before taking the test. I used it too look up the essay guide for the GMAT on the GMAT Club forums (I think I had saved the page to the harddrive), then I wrote down some of the mainpoints on the yellow notepad, beforehand. This was all the preparation I did for the essay part of the gmat. I got a 6.0 on the essays and a 760 on the GMAT. They didn't mind this, so I might want to disagree with these faux-pas.

04/2011 GMATprep2: 710
05/07/2011 GMATprep1: 770
05/27/2011 GMAT test 1: 760

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 7637 [0], given: 3626

Re: 8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 17:43
Expert's post
Happytrojan wrote:
When I took the GMAT I brought my laptop with me into the testing center before taking the test. I used it too look up the essay guide for the GMAT on the GMAT Club forums (I think I had saved the page to the harddrive), then I wrote down some of the mainpoints on the yellow notepad, beforehand. This was all the preparation I did for the essay part of the gmat. I got a 6.0 on the essays and a 760 on the GMAT. They didn't mind this, so I might want to disagree with these faux-pas.

Thanks! That's very interesting to hear. Were you allowed to bring the notepad with you to the test room?

P.S. Here are the official rules that went into the foundation of this post: http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/test-day/wh ... enter.aspx
and http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/test-day/gm ... rules.aspx

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.65
WE: Sales (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: 8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 20:05
On second thought, I cant remember if I did actually write the points down in the wait hall, while waiting to be let into the testing room. When I think about the memory, I remember sitting in the wait hall in the test center with my laptop in my lap, writing down the points from the essay guide on the yellow pad. I then put the laptop with everything else in the locker. But it is possible that I just memorized the points from the GMATclub essayguide and then wrote them down immedietally when I sat down at the computer, in order to not forget them. Either way, I am 100% sure that I had them written down on my notepad and that I kept checking them off as I wrote the essay.

Edit: I skimmed through the rules, and it appears there is nothing there saying you are not allowed to bring a laptop with you in to the test center and use it while you wait to be let into the testing room. Knowing myself, Im pretty sure I read the rules carefully (dont want to screw up the GMAT because of such a minor thing) and realized that I was allowed to bring the laptop with me inside to waiting room in the center before the test.

Otherwise, my "technique" for writing the essays was just relaxing and writing my opinions, trying to make a little fun even, as if I was writing any argumentative essay or opinion that I might otherwise write on an internet forum. Before I took the GMAT I never felt like I had time to practice the essay part, and I figured it was less important than the other parts; I counted and expected on getting a 4.0. So I was very pleasently surprised to get a 6.0.

04/2011 GMATprep2: 710
05/07/2011 GMATprep1: 770
05/27/2011 GMAT test 1: 760

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 7637 [0], given: 3626

Re: 8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 20:38
Expert's post
Happytrojan wrote:
Edit: I skimmed through the rules, and it appears there is nothing there saying you are not allowed to bring a laptop with you in to the test center and use it while you wait to be let into the testing room. Knowing myself, Im pretty sure I read the rules carefully (dont want to screw up the GMAT because of such a minor thing) and realized that I was allowed to bring the laptop with me inside to waiting room in the center before the test.

It is funny - i agree, it does not say anything about the computer/laptop
It does say you are not supposed to use the guides/notes/etc during the test (after you check in but before you check out, such as on a break), and I think that's where the most people get burned. It is OK to use it before or after, so why not on a break, right? I feel the rule is not helpful. one should be OK to use anything they want to on a break (unless they are copying questions to sell them or smth like that)

Founder of GMAT Club

Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 16:04
Great post!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Re: 8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2011, 16:04