Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 06:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

80% of the sales in company X's dealerships throughout the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

80% of the sales in company X's dealerships throughout the [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 09:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
3. 80% of the sales in company X's dealerships throughout the United States consisted of Honda cars. In recent years, U.S. population pays much more attention to safety when buying a car. Therefore, Honda produces the safest cars.
What is the assumption in the passage?

a. Honda cars are as good as Toyota or Mitsubishi in terms of safety, but they are generally $1,500 cheaper.
b. People tend to think that Honda cars are safer compared to other brands. A recent poll conducted among people who recently purchased a motor vehicle supports this theory.
c. 80% of the people who purchased a vehicle in the last six months said they think safety is the most important aspect in a car and did extensive research before buying one.
d. Honda dealerships provide information about research in car safety to all its buyers and attributes the volume of it's sales to the level of consumer awareness.
e. Company X prefers to sell Honda cars as the top managers of the company own only Honda cars, because they know from experience that Honda cars are the safest cars.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 10:05
c ?

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 10:07
Hmm... not sure abt this. But here goes...

a) People stressing on safety not money. Out.
b) The argument states that Honda produces the safest cars; it does not discuss the consumer perception.
c) People researched, and concluded that Honda is the safest. This is my answer.
d) consumer awareness, maybe. but that does not mean Honda is the safest.
e) looks out of scope.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 10:36
D.

If the availability of the safety statistics were not assumed , how could
the author conclude that Honda is the safest only on the grounds of good sales?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 10:59
deowl wrote:
D.

d. Honda dealerships provide information about research in car safety to all its buyers and attributes the volume of it's sales to the level of consumer awareness.

yup. the data is needed. but the provider can be anybody or even the buyers can be find it by themselves. and, 'all its buyers' is questionable.

The base of reasoning should be the fact that people consider safety as important aspect

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 11:07
jeunesis wrote:
deowl wrote:
D.

yup. the data is needed. but the provider can be anybody or even the buyers can be find it by themselves. and, 'all its buyers' is questionable.

The base of reasoning should be the fact that people consider safety as important aspect

Nope.

Please, reread the the second sentence of the stem. The fact that you are talking about is a premise, so it could not be an assumption.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 11:09
This was the choice initially was b/w C and D, but eventually I found some arguments against C and chose D!!!

(A) is irrelevant

(B) "tend to think" is not strong enough to buy a car, especially if one is looking seriously into safety

(C) what made me cautious here is the fact 80% of people who purchased A CAR IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS, whereas the argument is talking about RECENT YEARS. Things could have been a lot different last year...

In addition, 80% of people, who bought the car... They could have bought it anywhere (in the last 6 months) and those cars would not be Hondas necessarily... and we know nothing about thise particular dealership that had 80% of sales from Hondas... may be they only sell Hondas? may be they only had 90% of all cars that were Hondas... etc

(D) If Honda provides all the available info about safety, then people buy Hondas on that ground... especially when sales are attributed to consumer awareness!

(E) completely out of scope
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 11:37
The reasons I did not select D are..
# Its not mentioned that Company X is a Honda dealership.
# Assuming it does provide safety data, it does not mean that people will buy Honda - they could decide to buy another car after comparing data from the other manufacturer...

The reason I selected C is...
# The consumers researched on their own. From the data available to them they found that Honda had the safest car. So 80% went ahead and bought it, as they stress on safety...
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 12:05
I go with D using the negation technique.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Club CR Series #3 : Honda [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 14:11
Praetorian wrote:
3. 80% of the sales in company X's dealerships throughout the United States consisted of Honda cars. In recent years, U.S. population pays much more attention to safety when buying a car. Therefore, Honda produces the safest cars.
What is the assumption in the passage?

a. Honda cars are as good as Toyota or Mitsubishi in terms of safety, but they are generally $1,500 cheaper.
b. People tend to think that Honda cars are safer compared to other brands. A recent poll conducted among people who recently purchased a motor vehicle supports this theory.
c. 80% of the people who purchased a vehicle in the last six months said they think safety is the most important aspect in a car and did extensive research before buying one.
e. Company X prefers to sell Honda cars as the top managers of the company own only Honda cars, because they know from experience that Honda cars are the safest cars.

A. Incorrect. No assumption of $1500 discounts. Also irrelevant.

B. Assume B is incorrect. People pay more attention to safety when buying a new car, and buy Hondas even though they don't consider Hondas safer than other cars. Makes no sense. I think B is the answer.

C. May be a good supporting argument for people buying Hondas but not an assumption. How do we know that "exactly 80% said something? what if 81% said so? What if 79% said so?

D tricky, but incorrect. Honda dealerships provide information about research in car safety to all its buyers and attributes the volume of it's sales to the level of consumer awareness. Are both of the above assumptions? Clearly the 1st one is likely to be. If Honda does not provide this information to buyers, there's no way for them to know these cars are safer than others. What about the 2nd. Who cares what Honda attributes the volume of its sales to? IMO, both statements do not have to be true.

E Out of context.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 21:38
Will go with C.

One thing before I give out the reasoning. Three cheers to Praet, he is really workign hard to get our minds working. Thanks a lot. I hope I can contribute more to this foroum.

Now the author concludes that Honda car is the safest based on one dealerships sales.
The underlying assumption is that consumers put safety as their first priority when buying cars and do a lot a research before buying.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 04:54
OA please....

anyhow it's nice discussion guys...

CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 06:15
The answer is C.

Again, I dont really have an official explanation yet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 10:18
Somehow, I find D more convincing.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Correct Answer is C [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2006, 02:53
paddyboy is right. C is the correct answer.
When creating this question I wanted the reader to concentrate on the fact of what makes Honda the safest car. Extensive research with data available to public does.
Now, there was a big discussion about whether C or D is the most correct answer.
The influence of the information dealerships distribute is hard to measure. Extensive research has to be conducted by the buyer and reading brochures from dealerships is only a part of that research.
So, I guess the word 'extensive' in C is the clue.

Hope it helps. If not, I am open to discussion.

paddyboy wrote:
The reasons I did not select D are..
# Its not mentioned that Company X is a Honda dealership.
# Assuming it does provide safety data, it does not mean that people will buy Honda - they could decide to buy another car after comparing data from the other manufacturer...

The reason I selected C is...
# The consumers researched on their own. From the data available to them they found that Honda had the safest car. So 80% went ahead and bought it, as they stress on safety...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2006, 05:23
I am afraid that you misunderstand what assumption is.
(C) is the correct answer to another question :

The conclusion above would be properly drawn if it were also true that:

And even then, the conclusion and the answer are pretty weak as they
are based on the "Eat noodels! One billion Chinese couldn't be wrong" logic.
The mere fact that many people think that the the car is safe does not necessarily mean it really is. It can only mean that the PR strategy of the company is good enough.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2006, 08:09
Or maybe there was a lot of research done, as the stem suggests, and the results are available to everybody who's interested. If the research says that Honda cars are the safest and then whoever is interested can contemplate on the results and make wise decision making, I think the logic stands firm.

Thanks for your response and for suggesting to change the question, it is wise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2006, 10:29
TestWriter wrote:
Or maybe there was a lot of research done, as the stem suggests, and the results are available to everybody who's interested. If the research says that Honda cars are the safest and then whoever is interested can contemplate on the results and make wise decision making, I think the logic stands firm.

The answer says that the buyers are those who did the research. Would you trust such a "reasearch"? I wouldn't. I would trust the
reasearch done by one professional rather then by the majority of the customers. I hope you think the same.
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2006, 12:02
deowl wrote:
TestWriter wrote:

The answer says that the buyers are those who did the research. Would you trust such a "reasearch"? I wouldn't. I would trust the
reasearch done by one professional rather then by the majority of the customers. I hope you think the same.

Bulls eye!!!! Thats what I was thinking.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2006, 12:17
Also exactly what came to my mind. But I would prefer multiple impartial research results to that of a single expert who is employed by Honda :)

Which is why it was C for me :)
  [#permalink] 04 Jul 2006, 12:17