Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

9/04 Exam - Input Appreciated!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
9/04 Exam - Input Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 20:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I was originally planning to give the exam in June and after knowing I was not prepared and changing jobs this past summer, I rescheduled for Sep 04.
Plan on applying this fall for FT admission starting next fall 2013.
I just started prep again and trying to make the best use of my time.
I wanted to go through the OG13 book and do all the questions in the next 1.5 weeks, and than proceed to take 4-5 practice exams, and review all the questions right/wrong after each exam.

From your experience, is it better to go through the questions in the OG guide or just get straight into the practice tests/review questions?
I have 21 days, I would like to get this done, will slave as much as possible given the work schedule to complete this in time for RD.1 applications for a few schools.

Any guidance you have here will be more than helpful
Appreciate any and all input!

Thanks,

-Reg
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 44

Premium Member
Re: 9/04 Exam - Input Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 23:13
HI,

Why are you rushing for the exam? Do you need to apply in Round1 itself?

Regarding the questions asked. Have you tried studying theory from Somewhere? As directly jumping into the questions might not be a good idea.
I will suggest you to study the following books and i guess you should be able to hit 650+

SC: manhattan SC
CR: Powerscore CR bible.
RC: am not sure. You can try RC99

Quant: Heard a lot about Manhattan books. If you are confident then don't read theory just start praciticing!

Practice:
grockit.com! (its a great resource as it give a timer for each and every question!)

Go over the theory for like 1.5weeks and then do practice for 3-4 days and then write mock tests!

Good Luck for your prep!
Hope it helps!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Intern
Intern

Re: 9/04 Exam - Input Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 10:14
Thanks for the response baisap!.
Don’t necessairily need to apply in round 1, but reading articles like this, makes me think it’s a better idea http://poetsandquants.com/2012/06/21/he ... -expected/.
I will at least try to apply 2-3 of my top schools in round 1 if possible.

I have spent time going over theory, I went through the Manhattan books this past spring, but got unexpectedly busy and decided not to give the exam. I am going to spend as much possible time on it the next 3 weeks, would like to dedicate at least 5 hours/weekdays,10-12 hrs/weekends. All in all, would like to spend 100+ hours in the next 3 weeks.

What I am looking for is the best way to practice. I went through OG questions as suggested by the Manhattan books, but now I am considering either going straight to practice exams and reviewing the answers, or going over all the questions in the OG13 book, than taking 3-4 exams after reviewing.

The majority of the strategy’s I read about, sounds like the priority is on familiarizing yourself with the exam as much as possible and take as many practice tests as you can to review. I don’t necessarily agree and want to rebuild the fundamental base again first but for the sake of time, I want to spend every minute as effectively as possible.
Again, appreciate any input you can provide.
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 44

Premium Member
Re: 9/04 Exam - Input Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 10:29
Hi,

Am not sure if you can implement the direct practice concept in case of verbal as you do need a strong theoretical knowledge before doing that!

Considering the lack of time at your side I will suggest you to try the below things:
1. SC : watch Thursday's with Ron Videos(Provided you already read Manhattan SC guide)
2. Do powerscore CR book (it will take hardly 2-3 days!)
3. Quant: Directly go and do practice from grockit.com

Hope it helps!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 6

Re: 9/04 Exam - Input Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 12:48
Expert's post
We would recommend taking a full diagnostic test in the beginning with one of your practice tests to get familiar with the test interface and question types.

But hold off on doing additional practice tests until the last 10 days. Focus on the OG questions and redo them religiously until your thought process and timing is solid.

By the time you have 10 days left, you should set aside an entire day for each practice test - with perhaps a day in between to further review your mistakes.

If you are looking for additional practice beyond OG, you can refer to: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern

Re: 9/04 Exam - Input Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 17:32
Thanks you both.
I will do a diag this weekend. When you say "set aside an entire day" for each practice exam, I can set aside from 6PM-12AM on any given weekday, given the work week, and of course the whole weekend.
I will start PT's rigorously on 8/25 and wanted to give in the neighborhood of 6 total exams, with days of review in between.
From experience, do you think this will be sufficient to get a 700+ score?

Going through problem solving/data sufficiency, I can tell I am rusty on the quant side so I also need a strategy on brushing up on the fundamentals. I have the MGMAT books as well as supplemental quant material, was planning on going through those on the weekend.

Appreciate the input
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: 9/04 Exam - Input Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 23:04
ReggiePrime wrote:
Thanks you both.
I will do a diag this weekend. When you say "set aside an entire day" for each practice exam, I can set aside from 6PM-12AM on any given weekday, given the work week, and of course the whole weekend.
I will start PT's rigorously on 8/25 and wanted to give in the neighborhood of 6 total exams, with days of review in between.
From experience, do you think this will be sufficient to get a 700+ score?

Going through problem solving/data sufficiency, I can tell I am rusty on the quant side so I also need a strategy on brushing up on the fundamentals. I have the MGMAT books as well as supplemental quant material, was planning on going through those on the weekend.

Appreciate the input

Your diagnostic is going to be the best source of input. IT's possible to get a 700+ score if you're already getting in the 600's in practice tests. I went up about 30 points each month (studied for 2.5 months) so up from 660->730. The higher your score the harder it is to move up (think bell curve).

The quant stuff is tough, especially if you're rusty. The data sufficiency questions test multiple concepts and try to trick you. They're rough.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Re: 9/04 Exam - Input Appreciated!   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2012, 23:04