Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

94) Chris and Emma will represent Don Bosco School in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

94) Chris and Emma will represent Don Bosco School in the [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 22:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

9% (00:00) correct 91% (00:29) wrong based on 12 sessions
94) Chris and Emma will represent Don Bosco School in the elocution contest, their work in this having been excellent this year
(A) contest, their work in this having been excellent this year
(B) contest; they have done excellent work this year in this
(C) contest, for this year they have done excellent work in this
(D) contest, for their work as public speakers has been excellent this year
(E) contest; their work as public speakers having been excellent this year
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 2

Re: 94) Chris and Emma will represent Don [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 22:34
I am thinking it D.

(A) contest, their work in this having been excellent this year - sounds awkward
(B) contest; they have done excellent work this year in this - Can't use semi-colon results in fragment
(C) contest, for this year they have done excellent work in this - Tough one, but I think its awkward to have this they have done excellent work, and I think its strange to end on the adjective this
(D) contest, for their work as public speakers has been excellent this year - good enough I guess.
(E) contest; their work as public speakers having been excellent this year - Can't use semi-colon results in fragment
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 94) Chris and Emma will represent Don [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 06:45
I will go with D, for play a role of 'because'. C is ambiguous with 'this' and very unclear.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: 94) Chris and Emma will represent Don [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 06:47
This doesn't sound like a very GMAT-like question. Where is this from?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 52

Re: 94) Chris and Emma will represent Don [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 13:45
I go with D as it is the most concise and grammatically correct

Sky is the limit

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 13

Re: 94) Chris and Emma will represent Don [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 14:13
D it is . "contest, for their work as public speakers has been excellent this year"
"this" is ambiguous
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1697 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: 94) Chris and Emma will represent Don [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 20:09
Expert's post
Quote:
Chris and Emma will represent Don Bosco School in the elocution contest, their work in this having been excellent this year

(A) contest, their work in this having been excellent this year
(B) contest; they have done excellent work this year in this
(C) contest, for this year they have done excellent work in this
(D) contest, for their work as public speakers has been excellent this year
(E) contest; their work as public speakers having been excellent this year

General: 1. 'this'—use of a demonstrative pronoun as ‘this’ without an accompanying noun is incorrect. However, it is not a critical issue in this case, as all the choices indulge in the same.
2. In D and E, the meaning is substantially altered. Participating in an elocution contest is not the same as work as public speakers.

(A) Contest, their work in this having been excellent this year –
This is a simple sentence followed by an appositive modifier. Other than calling it backward and strange, can any grammatical error be pointed out? What is grammatically wrong in this choice?

(B) contest; they have done excellent work this year in this – This is not a fragment; a semi colon is used to separate two independent cl but somewhat related clauses, and that requirement is fulfilled here. A fragment results, when you do not have a working verb; ‘have done ‘is the working verb for the second arm. What is grammatically wrong in this choice?

(C) contest, for this year they have done excellent work in this---- I can’t fine fault with this also, since the second indepencdent cluse is joined by a 'fanboys' conjunction and is duly separated by a comma before. What is grammatically wrong in this choice?

(D) contest, for their work as public speakers has been excellent this year – work as public speakers is different from participating in an elocutioncontest. Intent is seriously altered. But grammar is ok; may be the voice is passive. We can confidently
reject it.
(E) contest; their work as public speakers having been excellent this year – Same as D and the second part after the semi colon does not have working verb; hence a fragment. We can simply dump it.

Among A, B and C –Which two can be eliminated? I feel all the three are beautiful and grammatically proper constructions in their own right. Hence, this seems to be a weird example. I have not seen a GMAT issue with so much of touch – and - go and photo-finish, unless the author has some bigger issue up his sleeve. In that case, I couldn’t be more curious to know it?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: 94) Chris and Emma will represent Don [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 21:13
Answer is A.

I think OA is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q V

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

Re: 94) Chris and Emma will represent Don [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 00:06
In my opinion,
The answer is D.
Its crisp and concise.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: 94) Chris and Emma will represent Don [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 13:02
Ok, I am just going to say it. This is not a GMAT style question and the answer choices are odd. The GMAT style of written English is much more American influenced. This has obviously been crafted by some teaching institute in India, and the sub-continent style of writing is evident in the answer choices.

A is probably the least offensive of the lot, but again, like I said, having looked at lots of official material, one does not see GMAT structuring their SC in this manner. Usually the very difficult ones will bring you down to 1-2 and then make it much harder to choose, but a high level scorer will still pick out the correct choice. This one, on the other hand, is a lot more ambiguous. The use of "This" here is not standard and something very unlikely to appear on a GMAT question.
Re: 94) Chris and Emma will represent Don   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2011, 13:02