Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A) 1/4 B) 1/3 C) 1/2 D) 2/3 E) 3/4

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Posts: 573
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A) 1/4 B) 1/3 C) 1/2 D) 2/3 E) 3/4 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2007, 07:55
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A) 1/4
B) 1/3
C) 1/2
D) 2/3
E) 3/4

Attachments

0037eca.jpg
0037eca.jpg [ 11.41 KiB | Viewed 480 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Posts: 255
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2007, 08:26
A wild guess 1/4 but seems incorrect as it becomes too simple.

A

what is OA???
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 767
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Probability_dark [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2007, 08:36
IrinaOK wrote:
A) 1/4
B) 1/3
C) 1/2
D) 2/3
E) 3/4


I hate these kind of questions because they make me feel really dumb.

The light makes 3 revolutions in 60 seconds = 1 rev in 20 seconds assuming constant speed of revs.

Favorable outcome = 5 secs
Total outcome = 20 secs

Probability = 5/20 = 1/4.

Makes no sense and I have no clue how to do this. I would guess A in the exam and move the hell on!!!
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Posts: 573
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Probability_dark [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2007, 09:27
GK_Gmat wrote:
IrinaOK wrote:
A) 1/4
B) 1/3
C) 1/2
D) 2/3
E) 3/4


I hate these kind of questions because they make me feel really dumb.

The light makes 3 revolutions in 60 seconds = 1 rev in 20 seconds assuming constant speed of revs.

Favorable outcome = 5 secs
Total outcome = 20 secs

Probability = 5/20 = 1/4.

Makes no sense and I have no clue how to do this. I would guess A in the exam and move the hell on!!!


=))

sorry about the feelings, u r not alone...
nope, AO is different I will post it later, let`s see other explanations.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Posts: 573
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2007, 09:29
Ferihere wrote:
A wild guess 1/4 but seems incorrect as it becomes too simple.

A

what is OA???


I made the same mistake. Will post OA later.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 541
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Probability_dark [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2007, 09:34
GK_Gmat wrote:
IrinaOK wrote:
A) 1/4
B) 1/3
C) 1/2
D) 2/3
E) 3/4


I hate these kind of questions because they make me feel really dumb.

The light makes 3 revolutions in 60 seconds = 1 rev in 20 seconds assuming constant speed of revs.

Favorable outcome = 5 secs
Total outcome = 20 secs

Probability = 5/20 = 1/4.

Makes no sense and I have no clue how to do this. I would guess A in the exam and move the hell on!!!


Isn't that the probability that you are IN the light and there for the probability that you are NOT is 1 - 1/4 or 3/4

Another way of looking at it:

You are standing on the circumference of a circle. The light will cover the entire circumference in 20 seconds therefore it will only cover 25% in 5 seconds. That leaves 75% of the circumference that you could be standing on and remain in the dark.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Posts: 573
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Probability_dark [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2007, 10:07
gixxer1000 wrote:
GK_Gmat wrote:
IrinaOK wrote:
A) 1/4
B) 1/3
C) 1/2
D) 2/3
E) 3/4


I hate these kind of questions because they make me feel really dumb.

The light makes 3 revolutions in 60 seconds = 1 rev in 20 seconds assuming constant speed of revs.

Favorable outcome = 5 secs
Total outcome = 20 secs

Probability = 5/20 = 1/4.

Makes no sense and I have no clue how to do this. I would guess A in the exam and move the hell on!!!


Isn't that the probability that you are IN the light and there for the probability that you are NOT is 1 - 1/4 or 3/4

Another way of looking at it:

You are standing on the circumference of a circle. The light will cover the entire circumference in 20 seconds therefore it will only cover 25% in 5 seconds. That leaves 75% of the circumference that you could be standing on and remain in the dark.


AO is E,

thank you for your explanation, clear now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 296
Location: Russia, Moscow
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Probability_dark [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2007, 10:19
IrinaOK wrote:
A) 1/4
B) 1/3
C) 1/2
D) 2/3
E) 3/4


GMATClub challenges rules!!!
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 932
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Probability_dark [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2007, 14:41
IrinaOK wrote:
A) 1/4
B) 1/3
C) 1/2
D) 2/3
E) 3/4


yay!!! i had gotten 3/4 (E)
Re: Probability_dark   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2007, 14:41
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic If a/b = 1/3, b/c = 2, c/d = 1/2, d/e = 3 and e/f = 1/4, the gmatacequants 4 23 May 2014, 11:38
Experts publish their posts in the topic x!) / = 12,376 x is: a] 17 b] 34 c] 18 d] 13 e] 19 Is there vscid 6 05 Jan 2008, 10:24
1 5^12+5^13 = (A) 5^25 (B) 10^25 (C) 6(5^12) (D) 10^12+5 (E) yogachgolf 1 07 Dec 2007, 11:01
5^12+5^13= A. 5^25 B. 10^25 C. 6(5^12) D. 10^12+5 E. 2 jamesrwrightiii 8 27 Jul 2007, 20:45
A) 1 (B) (a + b)^-1/3 (C) (a + b)^1/3 (D) (a + b)^2/3 (E) a kidderek 1 31 Oct 2006, 08:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A) 1/4 B) 1/3 C) 1/2 D) 2/3 E) 3/4

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.