Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduce

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Joined: 18 Jun 2004
Posts: 105
Location: san jose , CA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduce [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2004, 23:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.

(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump
(B) reduced the phosphate amount that municipalities had been dumping
(C) reduces the phosphate amount municipalities have been allowed to dump
(D) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump
(E) reduces the amount of phosphates allowed for dumping by municipalities
Current Student
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3411
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Great Lakes [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2008, 06:17
GUYS just be careful not to un-learn your concepts based on some given OA..stick with OG as your bible when you need the guidance..
VP
VP
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 06:03
A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.

(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump
(B) reduced the phosphate amount that municipalities had been dumping
(C) reduces the phosphate amount municipalities have been allowed to dump
(D) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump
(E) reduces the amount of phosphates allowed for dumping by municipalities

A 1000 SC question but im not convinced with the OA
Need brain storming
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 463
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-need explanations and lets discuss [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 06:13
had been allowed ...... reduced

Two different events in the past, hence A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2008
Posts: 379
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-need explanations and lets discuss [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 06:15
is it D?

in A (allowed to had been dump) could mean that they were allowed to dump only once
and had been should be before reduced
_________________

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 463
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-need explanations and lets discuss [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 06:37
hmmm, I think I agree with Spiridion now . Two different events dont make much sense here.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1048
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-need explanations and lets discuss [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 06:48
I remember seeing this one on GMATPrep. OA is D :)
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Manager
Manager
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 106
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-need explanations and lets discuss [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 07:06
OA is D ? :?
I don't see anything wrong with A. Event took place in 1972, if it said last year, or recently I'd think about D. Spiridon, had been goes with allowed what, yes, happened only once (probably by signing prior agreement). And tense sequence is fine in A - past action - signing new agreement in 1972 changed smth what happened before that - had been allowed.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1048
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-need explanations and lets discuss [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 07:38
linau1982 wrote:
OA is D ? :?
I don't see anything wrong with A. Event took place in 1972, if it said last year, or recently I'd think about D. Spiridon, had been goes with allowed what, yes, happened only once (probably by signing prior agreement). And tense sequence is fine in A - past action - signing new agreement in 1972 changed smth what happened before that - had been allowed.


The municipalities "are" allowed because that is happening today also.
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

VP
VP
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-need explanations and lets discuss [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 09:49
Guys i posted this question since i had doubts on C as the option !!

Any agreement dated any date of any past time imposes rules on the curent activity of present time
WHY cant the answer BE C ?
CAN ANYONE CLARIFY !!!!!!
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1048
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-need explanations and lets discuss [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 10:00
You can find the Official Explanation in OG11 Qno 62. (Pg 689)

It says: D. Correct. The past tense reduced is correctly used in this sentence to describe a past action, and the present tense are allowed is used to describe the present situation.

:) don't trust 1000SC please.
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

VP
VP
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-need explanations and lets discuss [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 10:09
amitdgr wrote:
You can find the Official Explanation in OG11 Qno 62. (Pg 689)

It says: D. Correct. The past tense reduced is correctly used in this sentence to describe a past action, and the present tense are allowed is used to describe the present situation.

:) don't trust 1000SC please.

Oh my god !!!
i did not cross check !!!
Thanks amit i will take care of this !!!
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 49
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 3

I was doing several of the SC_1000 problems. I got to about [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2009, 15:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
I was doing several of the SC_1000 problems. I got to about 200, then decided to quit after reading that SC problems should not be done without an explanation to go along with it. I went back to studying questions from the OG to review. Turns out, a lot of the problems in the SC_1000 file overlap with the OG.

I was getting pissed off at myself because I was missing so many questions on the SC_1000. When I went back to the OG, I started getting about 85-90% right.

I realized that many of the SC_1000 questions are wrong!!! NO wonder.

Example:
2. A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.
(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump
(B) reduced the phosphate amount that municipalities had been dumping
(C) reduces the phosphate amount municipalities have been allowed to dump
(D) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump
(E) reduces the amount of phosphates allowed for dumping by municipalities

SC_1000 answer: A
OA: D

Just wanted to let you know that studying WITH an explanation is MORE important than just practicing, ESPECIALLY if the answers are WRONG!!!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1833
Location: New York
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 390 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Flipping SC_1000 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2009, 18:56
Nach0 wrote:
I was doing several of the SC_1000 problems. I got to about 200, then decided to quit after reading that SC problems should not be done without an explanation to go along with it. I went back to studying questions from the OG to review. Turns out, a lot of the problems in the SC_1000 file overlap with the OG.

I was getting pissed off at myself because I was missing so many questions on the SC_1000. When I went back to the OG, I started getting about 85-90% right.

I realized that many of the SC_1000 questions are wrong!!! NO wonder.

Example:
2. A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.
(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump
(B) reduced the phosphate amount that municipalities had been dumping
(C) reduces the phosphate amount municipalities have been allowed to dump
(D) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump
(E) reduces the amount of phosphates allowed for dumping by municipalities

SC_1000 answer: A
OA: D

Just wanted to let you know that studying WITH an explanation is MORE important than just practicing, ESPECIALLY if the answers are WRONG!!!


Significant no of questions in SC 1000 have incorrect answers or debatable answers. Don't trust 100% SC-1000 answers.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 341
Location: Washington DC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Flipping SC_1000 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 07:33
x2suresh wrote:
Nach0 wrote:
I was doing several of the SC_1000 problems. I got to about 200, then decided to quit after reading that SC problems should not be done without an explanation to go along with it. I went back to studying questions from the OG to review. Turns out, a lot of the problems in the SC_1000 file overlap with the OG.

I was getting pissed off at myself because I was missing so many questions on the SC_1000. When I went back to the OG, I started getting about 85-90% right.

I realized that many of the SC_1000 questions are wrong!!! NO wonder.

Example:
2. A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.
(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump
(B) reduced the phosphate amount that municipalities had been dumping
(C) reduces the phosphate amount municipalities have been allowed to dump
(D) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump
(E) reduces the amount of phosphates allowed for dumping by municipalities

SC_1000 answer: A
OA: D

Just wanted to let you know that studying WITH an explanation is MORE important than just practicing, ESPECIALLY if the answers are WRONG!!!


Signicant no of questions in SC 1000 hava incorrect answer or debatable answers. Don't trust 100% SC-1000 answers.


Suresh,
What about 1000 RC and 1000 CR?? Are they good, I am planning to use them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 341
Location: Washington DC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
OG Question- Agreement between USA and Canada. [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 20:44
I am sure, many of us have seen this question and can report the OA. However I am more interested in brainstorming about this question. First, I want to understand OE.

A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.
(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump
(B) reduced the phosphate amount that municipalities had been dumping
(C) reduces the phosphate amount municipalities have been allowed to dump
(D) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump
(E) reduces the amount of phosphates allowed for dumping by municipalities

Second, I want to analyze if we have another option-
(F) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities were allowed to dump

Will this would be correct?

More detailed responses are appreciated.
Current Student
Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 374
Location: India
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG Question- Agreement between USA and Canada. [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 21:41
marshpa wrote:
I am sure, many of us have seen this question and can report the OA. However I am more interested in brainstorming about this question. First, I want to understand OE.

A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.
(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump
(B) reduced the phosphate amount that municipalities had been dumping
(C) reduces the phosphate amount municipalities have been allowed to dump
(D) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump
(E) reduces the amount of phosphates allowed for dumping by municipalities

Second, I want to analyze if we have another option-
(F) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities were allowed to dump

Will this would be correct?

More detailed responses are appreciated.


I completely agree with you and I would have selected F, had it been there. However, thru POE you can reach to answer D and thats what I did when I attempted this. I too dint like the construction but still this was best among the lot.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 341
Location: Washington DC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG Question- Agreement between USA and Canada. [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 13:49
hemantsood wrote:
marshpa wrote:
I am sure, many of us have seen this question and can report the OA. However I am more interested in brainstorming about this question. First, I want to understand OE.

A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.
(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump
(B) reduced the phosphate amount that municipalities had been dumping
(C) reduces the phosphate amount municipalities have been allowed to dump
(D) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump
(E) reduces the amount of phosphates allowed for dumping by municipalities

Second, I want to analyze if we have another option-
(F) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities were allowed to dump

Will this would be correct?

More detailed responses are appreciated.


I completely agree with you and I would have selected F, had it been there. However, thru POE you can reach to answer D and thats what I did when I attempted this. I too dint like the construction but still this was best among the lot.

Then Can you please tell then why not A? Reason A almost says what F has to offer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 484
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG Question- Agreement between USA and Canada. [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 14:16
I thought A was the original answer to the question, and I don't see what is wrong with it. In the future, please underline the sentence. thanks
Current Student
Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 374
Location: India
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG Question- Agreement between USA and Canada. [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 15:05
marshpa wrote:
hemantsood wrote:
marshpa wrote:
I am sure, many of us have seen this question and can report the OA. However I am more interested in brainstorming about this question. First, I want to understand OE.

A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.
(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump
(B) reduced the phosphate amount that municipalities had been dumping
(C) reduces the phosphate amount municipalities have been allowed to dump
(D) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump
(E) reduces the amount of phosphates allowed for dumping by municipalities

Second, I want to analyze if we have another option-
(F) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities were allowed to dump

Will this would be correct?

More detailed responses are appreciated.


I completely agree with you and I would have selected F, had it been there. However, thru POE you can reach to answer D and thats what I did when I attempted this. I too dint like the construction but still this was best among the lot.

Then Can you please tell then why not A? Reason A almost says what F has to offer.


Because A says that there was point in time when dumping was allowed and it stopped at later point of time that also exists in past. However, D says that dumping is still continue.

Last edited by rs2010 on 02 Jun 2009, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 484
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG Question- Agreement between USA and Canada. [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 15:20
Quote:
Because A says that there was point in time when dumping was allowed and it stopped at later point of time that also exist in time. However, D says that dumping is still continue.


First of all, what you're saying doesn't make any sense.
Second of all, even if you what you said does make sense, I disagree.
Re: OG Question- Agreement between USA and Canada.   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2009, 15:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States banerjeea_98 0 12 Mar 2005, 21:19
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States dipaksingh 0 04 Jun 2005, 12:58
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States wild_desperado 0 17 Jun 2005, 00:30
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States swagir 0 16 May 2007, 08:47
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States Bluelagoon 0 30 Dec 2012, 09:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduce

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  20    Next  [ 389 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.