Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:55

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A 1991 calculation was made to determine what, if any,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
A 1991 calculation was made to determine what, if any, [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 14:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (02:35) correct 12% (01:40) wrong based on 77 sessions
A 1991 calculation was made to determine what, if any, additional health-care costs beyond the ordinary are borne by society at large for people who live a sedentary life. The figure reached was a lifetime average of $1,650. Thus people's voluntary choice not to exercise places a significant burden on society.
Which one of the following, if true and not taken into account by the calculation, most seriously weakens the argument?
(A) Many people whose employment requires physical exertion do not choose to engage in regular physical exercise when they are not at work.
(B) Exercise is a topic that is often omitted from discussion between doctor and patient during a patient's visit.
(C) Physical conditions that eventually require medical or nursing-home care often first predispose a person to adopt a sedentary lifestyle.
(D) Individuals vary widely in the amount and kind of exercise they choose, when they do exercise regularly.
(E) A regular program of moderate exercise tends to increase circulation, induce a feeling of well-being and energy, and decrease excess weight.

Please come with explanations. OA later.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Last edited by joshnsit on 27 Dec 2013, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 707 [1] , given: 3

Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 17:31
This post received
KUDOS
It's C; it's just a reversal of cause and effect. The argument says "people who choose not to exercise develop medical problems which cost society money." C says that the medical problems might instead cause people not to exercise. Those medical problems are then the source of the expense to society, and not people's unwillingness to exercise, as the argument claims.

None of the other answers even seem particularly relevant, so I think you could also arrive at the answer here by elimination.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 97

Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 17:51
C answer is C for sure

A is close but these people already get regular exercise .. andyou cannot really isolate a group groups are not mentioned here
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 97

Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 17:52
if A causes B then to weaken prove B causes A
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 18:02
whats wrong with a
i thought option a can impose a statistical error as the people who have lot of physical activity are more prone to hospitalization
but they are excluded from the people whoare involved in the physical exercise

looks like i have made lot of assumptions so i missed that one
but i think weakening question can bring new information into the argument

can i bring my assumptions along with information or they should be defined in the argument

just one more month for exam...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 13:51
mohan514 wrote:
whats wrong with a
i thought option a can impose a statistical error as the people who have lot of physical activity are more prone to hospitalization
but they are excluded from the people whoare involved in the physical exercise

looks like i have made lot of assumptions so i missed that one
but i think weakening question can bring new information into the argument
can i bring my assumptions along with information or they should be defined in the argument
You can bring in a new info in a weaken question for sure.

As far as "why A is wrong?" is concerned, The argument is targeting the people "WHO live a sedentary life" in the first line of the argument. This makes "people living actively at work" as in A to fall out of the set of people argument is referring to.

Also, the question stem refers unusually to "not taken into account by calculation" to raise the bells for making A out of league of probable answers.
HTH

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 13

Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 00:20
Step 1:
Narrowed it down to A and C because of the following:
B: Doctors talks is not going to impact the calculation.
D: The "amount and kind of exercise" dont impact the calculation.
E: The characteristics about circulation and benefits dont impact the calculation.

Step 2:
A: A doesn't actually talk about people in Sedentary life. There is a difference. NOT EXCERSICING DOES NOT EQUAL SEDANTARY. Secondly, what if the many people we are talking about is only a say for e.g. ~1% of the entire population. Then this argument is invalid.
C: If he is forced to lead a sedantary life the calculation is ALL wrong in the first place.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 01:55
Paraphrase the Q: Voluntary choice not to exercise.

A, B, D & E don't weaken the argument

Therefore C is the answer.

What is the OA?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 22

Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what. [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 23:35
C makes sense.
B, D and E can be ignored right away.
A and C made go back to passage again.
Re: Nasty one: A 1991 calculation was made to determine what.   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2012, 23:35