Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 21:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and larg

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 509
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 376 [1] , given: 241

A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and larg [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2013, 02:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

51% (01:43) correct 49% (00:49) wrong based on 59 sessions
Try this question :twisted: :wink:

A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
A) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
B) changed wealthy taxpayers' and large corporations' amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
C) is changing wealthy taxpayers' and large corporations' amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
D) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations had been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
E) changes what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.

OA will be added after discussion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 214
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 160

Premium Member
Re: A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and larg [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2013, 03:20
IMO A.

A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
A) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns. -- Correct . Uses 'what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns' as an object with 1999 tax bill as a subject. Also retains the meaning
B) changed wealthy taxpayers' and large corporations' amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns. ---Awkward and uses possessives in manner that distorts the meaning.
C) is changing wealthy taxpayers' and large corporations' amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns. ---Same as B
D) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations had been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.---Improper tense use. Unnecessary use of 'Had been' which changes the meaning too.
E) changes what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.----- Same as D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2013
Posts: 31
Location: India
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.49
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 33

Re: A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and larg [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2013, 04:54
mba1382 wrote:
IMO A.

A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
A) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns. -- Correct . Uses 'what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns' as an object with 1999 tax bill as a subject. Also retains the meaning
B) changed wealthy taxpayers' and large corporations' amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns. ---Awkward and uses possessives in manner that distorts the meaning.
C) is changing wealthy taxpayers' and large corporations' amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns. ---Same as B
D) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations had been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.---Improper tense use. Unnecessary use of 'Had been' which changes the meaning too.
E) changes what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.----- Same as D


Everything is perfectly explained by you except you missed the main point.
"A 1999 tax bill" implies that this statement was made in past. So the sentence should be in past tense. A is wrong for the very reason. D is right because it is in the past. "had been"
E is wrong because it has present tense in "changes"
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 214
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 160

Premium Member
Re: A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and larg [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2013, 05:36
I still say that A is right for the very reason that 1999 tax bill still allowed many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations to deduct on their tax returns and it did not stop what it allowed. Instead 1999 tax bill only changed the way it allowed to deduct tax returns.

The Meaning changes when you say it had been allowed, it implies that it no longer allowed many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations to deduct on their tax returns.

Hope my explanation seems alright. :-)

rskanumuri wrote:
mba1382 wrote:
IMO A.

A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
A) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns. -- Correct . Uses 'what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns' as an object with 1999 tax bill as a subject. Also retains the meaning
B) changed wealthy taxpayers' and large corporations' amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns. ---Awkward and uses possessives in manner that distorts the meaning.
C) is changing wealthy taxpayers' and large corporations' amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns. ---Same as B
D) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations had been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.---Improper tense use. Unnecessary use of 'Had been' which changes the meaning too.
E) changes what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.----- Same as D


Everything is perfectly explained by you except you missed the main point.
"A 1999 tax bill" implies that this statement was made in past. So the sentence should be in past tense. A is wrong for the very reason. D is right because it is in the past. "had been"
E is wrong because it has present tense in "changes"
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Persevering
Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 223
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and larg [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2013, 09:38
A, because it retains the intended meaning.As the bill is still in place, so are allowed to dump is correct.
D, Had been changes the meaning, as it implies the law was in place earlier, but we are not too sure about its current status.
_________________

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Neeley Thread Master
avatar
Status: Prep Mode
Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 165
Location: India
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and larg [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 00:29
fameatop wrote:
Try this question :twisted: :wink:

A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
A) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
B) changed wealthy taxpayers' and large corporations' amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
C) is changing wealthy taxpayers' and large corporations' amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
D) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations had been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
E) changes what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.

OA will be added after discussion.


Talking of some bill that changed certain clauses.
So correct verb tense is "changed" A, B and D remains.

D -> had been allowed implies that after the 1999 bill, the tax payers are no longer required to deduct on their tax returns. Wrong as it changes the intended meaning.

A -> Correct as it says that the Bill simply changed some clauses.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 150
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 41

Re: A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and larg [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 02:43
Gian wrote:
fameatop wrote:
Try this question :twisted: :wink:

A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
A) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
B) changed wealthy taxpayers' and large corporations' amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
C) is changing wealthy taxpayers' and large corporations' amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
D) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations had been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.
E) changes what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.

OA will be added after discussion.


Talking of some bill that changed certain clauses.
So correct verb tense is "changed" A, B and D remains.

D -> had been allowed implies that after the 1999 bill, the tax payers are no longer required to deduct on their tax returns. Wrong as it changes the intended meaning.

A -> Correct as it says that the Bill simply changed some clauses.



Hi,

D does not say that tax payers are no longer required to deduct.
It states that "earlier taxpayers and corporations" had been allowed to do something, and 1999 tax bill brought that change.

I think D should be correct, as usage of had is correct here..

Thanks,
Jai
_________________

MODULUS Concept ---> inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Re: A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and larg   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2013, 02:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Never before had taxpayers confronted so many changes at lnaik 2 16 Oct 2007, 09:18
9 Never before had taxpayers confronted so many changes at mm007 5 27 Dec 2006, 13:56
Never before had taxpayers confronted so many changes at cool_jonny009 4 28 Dec 2005, 14:28
Never before had taxpayers confronted so many changes at HongHu 0 01 Feb 2005, 23:33
1 Never before had taxpayers confronted so many changes at NEWKID 4 26 Oct 2004, 20:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and larg

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.