Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 12:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A 2 Part question

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1789
Followers: 1268

Kudos [?]: 3529 [0], given: 185

A 2 Part question [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 21:48
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello friend,

Please try this 2 part question...

A can beat B in a 400 yards race by 60 yards, B can beat C in a 850 yards race by 100 yards, whereas C can beat D in a 600 yards race by 40 yards. Select the values of 'A beats C', & 'B beats D' by yards in a 200 yards race in the table that are consistent with the information provided.
Make only two selections, one in each column.

Image

-Shalabh
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2007
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: A 2 Part question [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 17:50
This is the longer version of solution , there is a quick way to do it also :

Lets say As is the speed of A , Bs is the speed of B and similarly Cs is for C & Ds is for D.

if A took T1 time to finish the 400 yards race , so in the same time B will cover 340 yards

Therefore, we can say that T1 = 400/As and T1 = 340/Bs (Speed = Distance/Time or Time = Distance/speed ).

T1 = 400/As = 340/Bs => As/Bs = 400/340 or As/Bs = 20/17

Similarly , we can get

Bs/Cs = 17/15 & Cs/Ds= 15/14

therefore we can say , As/Cs = 4/3 ( As = 20/17 * Bs = 20/17 * 17/15 * Cs = 20/15 Cs

Lets assume to complete a 200 yards race A took time T , then

As=200/T or T = 200/As , in the same time C will cover X distance , so X = Cs * T (Distance = Speed * time)

Therefore X = Cs * 200/As ( from above we knw that As/Cs = 4/3 )

X = 200 / (As/Cs) = 200 / (4/3) = 150.

Thereby we can say that A will beat C in a 200 yards race by 50 yards.

Similarly we can get that B will beat D in a 200 yards race by 35 yards.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1789
Followers: 1268

Kudos [?]: 3529 [3] , given: 185

Re: A 2 Part question [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 00:19
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
punwish wrote:
This is the longer version of solution , there is a quick way to do it also :

Lets say As is the speed of A , Bs is the speed of B and similarly Cs is for C & Ds is for D.

if A took T1 time to finish the 400 yards race , so in the same time B will cover 340 yards

Therefore, we can say that T1 = 400/As and T1 = 340/Bs (Speed = Distance/Time or Time = Distance/speed ).

T1 = 400/As = 340/Bs => As/Bs = 400/340 or As/Bs = 20/17

Similarly , we can get

Bs/Cs = 17/15 & Cs/Ds= 15/14

therefore we can say , As/Cs = 4/3 ( As = 20/17 * Bs = 20/17 * 17/15 * Cs = 20/15 Cs

Lets assume to complete a 200 yards race A took time T , then

As=200/T or T = 200/As , in the same time C will cover X distance , so X = Cs * T (Distance = Speed * time)

Therefore X = Cs * 200/As ( from above we knw that As/Cs = 4/3 )

X = 200 / (As/Cs) = 200 / (4/3) = 150.

Thereby we can say that A will beat C in a 200 yards race by 50 yards.

Similarly we can get that B will beat D in a 200 yards race by 35 yards.


Hi punwish,

That's the correct answer. Yes, you are right this is a longer method to approach the question. I think the approach below is smarter one.

We can find out the continued ratios of all 4 players.

--A--:---B--:---C--:---D----
400 : 340
------:850 : 750
------:-----: 600 : 560
------------------------------------
400 : 340 : 750/850*340 : --
400 : 340 : 300 : 560/600*300
400 : 340 : 300 : 280

So. we can infer that A beats C by 100 yards in a 400 yard race, so it will beat C by 50 yards in a 200 yard race.

Similarly, we can infer that B beats D by 60 yards in 340 yard race, so it will beat D by (340-280)/340*200 = ~35 yards in a 200 yard race.

Meanwhile, don't forget to attend the SC session on Saturday. Please find the link below:

Image


-Shalabh
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2012
Posts: 36
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 03-03-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: A 2 Part question [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 21:26
50 and 35
just find out by how much each beats other in 200yards race...
easy one....
_________________

Thanks
crazy4priya
GMATPrep 1 710/Q49/V38
GMATPrep 2 690/Q49/V34
Veritas Prep 700/Q50/V36/IR5
MGMT Test 1 700/Q51/V35/IR3

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: A 2 Part question [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 21:49
egmat wrote:
--A--:---B--:---C--:---D----
400 : 340
------:850 : 750
------:-----: 600 : 560
------------------------------------
400 : 340 : 750/850*340 : --
400 : 340 : 300 : 560/600*300
400 : 340 : 300 : 280


That was a very quick method Shalabh. Thanks!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1789
Followers: 1268

Kudos [?]: 3529 [1] , given: 185

Re: A 2 Part question [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 22:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Shashank3016 wrote:
egmat wrote:
--A--:---B--:---C--:---D----
400 : 340
------:850 : 750
------:-----: 600 : 560
------------------------------------
400 : 340 : 750/850*340 : --
400 : 340 : 300 : 560/600*300
400 : 340 : 300 : 280


That was a very quick method Shalabh. Thanks!


Thank you Shashank. By the way do not forget to attend following event this weekend to learn how to improve by up to 70 points in 25 days. Pl. click to know more.

Image


-Shalabh Jain
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: A 2 Part question   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2013, 22:21
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic Another fresh question on 2 Part- Quadratic function egmat 5 25 Jan 2013, 03:56
Experts publish their posts in the topic 2-Part IR Question egmat 3 03 Dec 2012, 09:39
2 2 Part question! ShalabhsQuants 2 07 Sep 2012, 06:00
GMAT Sample Test Math Questions Part 2 dauntingmcgee 1 16 Jul 2010, 13:40
3 2 Questions Practice Set (part 1) nitostyle 3 07 Jan 2008, 02:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A 2 Part question

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, WoundedTiger



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.