Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A 20 percent decline in lobster catches in Maine waters

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [3] , given: 1

A 20 percent decline in lobster catches in Maine waters [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2009, 17:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

77% (02:25) correct 23% (01:36) wrong based on 138 sessions
A 20 percent decline in lobster catches in Maine waters since 1980 can be justifiably blamed on legislation passed in 1972 to protect harbor seals. Maine’s population of harbor seals is now double the level existing before production was initiated, and these seals are known to eat both fish and lobsters.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument above?

(A) Harbor seals usually eat more fish than lobsters, but the seals are natural predators of both.

(B) Although harbor seals are skillful predators of lobsters, they rarely finish eating their catch.

(C) Harbor seals attract tourists to Maine’s coastal areas, thus revitalizing the local economy.

(D) Authors of the 1972 legislation protecting harbor seals were convinced that an increase in that animal’s numbers would not have a measurably negative impact on the lobster catch.

(E) The record lobster harvests of the late 1970’s removed large numbers of mature lobsters from the reproductive stock.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR...........2 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2009, 22:25
This post received
KUDOS
milind1979 wrote:
A 20 percent decline in lobster catches in Maine waters since 1980 can be justifiably blamed on legislation passed in 1972 to protect harbor seals. Maine’s population of harbor seals is now double the level existing before production was initiated, and these seals are known to eat both fish and lobsters.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument above?

(A) Harbor seals usually eat more fish than lobsters, but the seals are natural predators of both.

(B) Although harbor seals are skillful predators of lobsters, they rarely finish eating their catch.

(C) Harbor seals attract tourists to Maine’s coastal areas, thus revitalizing the local economy.

(D) Authors of the 1972 legislation protecting harbor seals were convinced that an increase in that animal’s numbers would not have a measurably negative impact on the lobster catch.

(E) The record lobster harvests of the late 1970’s removed large numbers of mature lobsters from the reproductive stock.

E is the best

E says the decline in lobster catches is NOT affected by "legislation passed in 1972 to protect harbor seals"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 216 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR...........2 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2009, 23:23
This post received
KUDOS
Agree with E.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR...........2 [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2009, 19:25
This post received
KUDOS
Economist wrote:
Agree with E.

Agree with E)....but only question I have is it mentioned 1970 but argument says decline happened since 1980..but I think we can still say trend is downward from 1970 itself.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR...........2 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 14:10
This post received
KUDOS
E
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR...........2 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 18:16
This post received
KUDOS
Agree with E.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR...........2 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2009, 08:47
This post received
KUDOS
E for me.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR...........2 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2009, 04:29
patedhav wrote:
Economist wrote:
Agree with E.

Agree with E)....but only question I have is it mentioned 1970 but argument says decline happened since 1980..but I think we can still say trend is downward from 1970 itself.

True. Also the focus is on removal of the mature lobster population which was capable of reproduction. Thus it provides an explanation.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR...........2 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 01:00
E it is. The decline in the lobster population was not due to the seal protection policy but the catch of too much reproductive stock of lobsters
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: CR...........2 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 02:02
It should be E .. please confirm it by posting the OA.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR...........2 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 04:33
E clearly shows another reason for a decline in Lobster catches.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: CR...........2 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 05:47
can anybody explain why not D?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR...........2 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 07:54
yuskay wrote:
can anybody explain why not D?

Posted from my mobile device Image

The conclusion of this argument is that a 20% decline in lobster catches is attributed to legistlation to protect harbor seals, which actually leads to double population of harbor seals. Whatever authors of the 1972 registlation believed or expected to happen, it doesn't weaken the conclusion of this argument.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR...........2 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2009, 20:35
Expert's post
I also agree; E is the best answer. It offers an alternative explanation to the low lobster population.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A 20 percent decline in lobster catches in Maine waters [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 02:51
milind1979 wrote:

Please someone explain me why its not D.

I brought it down to D and E but went with D. This happens to me so many times that I am now considering not to mark what I think.

Forget Kudos ... be an altruist

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1154 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: A 20 percent decline in lobster catches in Maine waters [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 03:12
This post received
KUDOS
stunn3r wrote:
milind1979 wrote:

Please someone explain me why its not D.

I brought it down to D and E but went with D. This happens to me so many times that I am now considering not to mark what I think.

Well, I would say that D is a bit out of scope here.

We are trying to prove the point that seals are not responsable for the decline of the lobsters population, hence we are trying to find another explanation for this decline.

What the legislation thought is not an alternative explanation clearly, E on the other hand gives us a second explanation that weakens the conclusion:
the decline is not caused by the seals but by the fact that "The record lobster harvests of the late 1970’s removed large numbers of mature lobsters from the reproductive stock."

Hope it's clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A 20 percent decline in lobster catches in Maine waters [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 03:34
Zarrolou wrote:

We are trying to prove the point that seals are not responsable for the decline of the lobsters population, hence we are trying to find another explanation for this decline.

yeah .. exactly ... Its very clear now. Thanks ..

I screamed F*** in my mind so hard when I got this question wrong. this was 3rd consecutive wrong and I am doing 600-700 weakening. embarrassing :cry: :cry:

Forget Kudos ... be an altruist

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: A 20 percent decline in lobster catches in Maine waters [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 04:22
i went for D too :),, should look at all the choices,, same mistake i make again and again.

Help with Kudos if I add to your knowledge realm.

Re: A 20 percent decline in lobster catches in Maine waters   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2013, 04:22