Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A and B in turns, throw a dice. If A gets a sum of 8 before

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 199

A and B in turns, throw a dice. If A gets a sum of 8 before [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 06:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (02:31) correct 69% (01:28) wrong based on 32 sessions
A and B in turns, throw a dice. If A gets a sum of 8 before B gets a sum of 9, then A wins. But if B gets a sum on 9 before A gets a sum of 8, then B wins. Find the chances of winning of A.

A. 31/36
B. 31/76
C. 5/36
D. 45/76
E. 1/9
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 515

Kudos [?]: 2137 [3] , given: 30

Re: A and B in turns, throw a dice. If A gets a sum of 8 before [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
PiyushK wrote:
A and B in turns, throw a dice. If A gets a sum of 8 before B gets a sum of 9, then A wins. But if B gets a sum on 9 before A gets a sum of 8, then B wins. Find the chances of winning of A.

A. 31/36
B. 31/76
C. 5/36
D. 45/76
E. 1/9

Dear PiyushK,
I find a few things unclear about this particular question. I point out that a good GMAT Quant question is very tight, and leaves not a single ambiguity --- it can be difficult to write a Quant question to those standards.

Question #1: you say "a dice" ---- that's grammatically incorrect and, hence unclear. The word "die" is singular and "dice" is plural. When I first glanced at the question, I assumed you meant --- each person was throwing two dice, and on each new throw, the question was: is the current sum an 8 or 9. That game could go on for quite some time, and calculating that is quite challenging (in that game, I found A has a 5/9 chance of winning). Upon re-reading, it appeared to me that you meant: each was throwing a single die. If this is correct, that leads me to ....

Question #2: Suppose A rolls a 6 on the first roll, then another 6 on the second roll, for a sum of 12. Does this count as winning? In other words, it is a matter of getting to a sum of 8 or more, before B gets to 9 or more? Or, do you mean that the game continues until, say, A has a string of consecutive rolls that has the exact sum of eight? (This latter question would be one of the hardest probability questions I have seen or imagined!)

Question #3: It's not explicit, but I am inferring that the rolls are not simultaneous, but rather, that A rolls once first, then B rolls once, then A rolls again, then B rolls again, etc. This was my take on the rolling procedure, but it is not made explicit in the question.

I can't even begin to think about finding an answer until I know the answer to all of these questions.

All of these are ambiguities that must be explicitly address in the way the problem is formulated. Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 102

Re: A and B in turns, throw a dice. If A gets a sum of 8 before [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 11:54
This post received
KUDOS
PiyushK wrote:

A. 31/36
B. 31/76
C. 5/36
D. 45/76
E. 1/9

Solution:

Let, A throws the dice 1st.
For the following combinations we can get an 8.
6+2
5+3
4+4
3+5
2+6
So the probability of getting an 8 in consecutively thrown 2 dices by A= 5/36 = Probability of winning of A and losing of B (B will not get any chance here because A scored the 8 1st, that’s why B is out of calculation) Like this : A B A

Next if B throws the dice 1st then this combinations will give a 9.
3+6
4+5
5+4
6+3
So the probability of getting a 9 in consecutively thrown 2 dices by B = 4/36
And probability of losing A = 1 – 5/36 = 31/36
Again, the probability of winning of B and losing of A = 4/36 × 31/36 = 1/9 × 31/36

So the conditional probability of winning of A = (5/36) / (1/9 × 31/36 + 5/36)
= 45/76 (Answer D)

Asif vai.....

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [3] , given: 74

Re: A and B in turns, throw a dice. If A gets a sum of 8 before [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 05:01
This post received
KUDOS
PiyushK wrote:

A. 31/36
B. 31/76
C. 5/36
D. 45/76
E. 1/9

Since language of the question is ambiguous, i prefer making a logical guess. Since A needs to get a total of eight and B needs to get a total of nine, A's task is slightly easier than B. BUT ONLY SLIGHTLY

So A has slight advantage over B.

A. 31/36 => Very Close to 1, this is highly biased towards A winning but A needs to have a slight bias. Hence Reject.
B. 31/76 => Slightly less than 0.5 but we want A to have slightly more than half probability of winning. Hence Reject.
c. 5/36 => Significantly less than 0.5 and close to 0. Again, reject since A needs to have slight edge over B.
D. 45/76 => Hmmmmm.... Slightly more than 0.5, almost what we wanted. Could be...
E. 1/9 => Again, significantly less than 0.5 and close to 0. Reject for same reason as option C.

Hence, Answer is D.
Re: A and B in turns, throw a dice. If A gets a sum of 8 before   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2013, 05:01