Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A basketball coach will select the members of a five-player

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 194

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
A basketball coach will select the members of a five-player [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 10:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

81% (02:18) correct 19% (02:55) wrong based on 31 sessions
A basketball coach will select the members of a five-player team from among 9 players, including John and Peter. If the five players are chosen at random, what is the probability that the coach chooses a team that includes both John and Peter?

A. 1/9
B. 1/6
C. 2/9
D. 5/18
E. 1/3

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS TOPIC IS HERE: a-basketball-coach-will-select-the-members-of-a-five-player-132143.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 11 May 2014, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT Probability [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 13:11
you can but that will require more cases and will be time consuming.

straight forward way is to group J and P as always present on the team and as order does not matter so we just need to find the total number of ways to select rest three players = 7c3

total number of ways of selecting 5 players out of 9 = 9c5

probability = 7c3/9c5 = 5/18
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 194

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: MGMAT Probability [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 22:22
ingoditrust wrote:
you can but that will require more cases and will be time consuming.

probability = 7c3/9c5 = 5/18

Look at my approach - it's easy, nice and not at all time consuming. But I'm somehow getting the wrong answer :(
I decided to find the probability of not getting these two guys in the choosen group and then substruct it from 1.
What's wrong with my approach?

1-(7/9)*(6/8)*(5/7)*(4/6)*(3/5)= 15/18
Intern
Intern
Schools: Class of 2008, IIM Ahmedabad
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: MGMAT Probability [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 23:30
Financier wrote:
I decided to find the probability of not getting these two guys in the choosen group and then substruct it from 1.
What's wrong with my approach?

Prob of choosing both J and P = 1 - ( Prob of choosing neither J nor P + Prob of choosing J and not P + Prob of choosing P and not J)

Hope this helps. This was highlighted in one of the other probability threads earlier this day only.

Thanks.

Naveenan Ramachandran
4GMAT - Mumbai

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 23

Re: MGMAT Probability [#permalink] New post 11 May 2014, 16:30
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the question but the way I read it, the question states that "what is the probability that jon and peter" will be selected. Correct?

If that's the case, why isn't this method working:

(5c2)/(5c9) - I need to pick J and P from a team of 5 and the number of options for the teams are 5 out of 9 players. Why is that wrong?

Additionally, I tried the direct probability approach and that seemed to work out:

(2/9)(1/8)(5!/2!3!) - This implies that the prob of picking J or P is 2 out of 9, then only J or P is left so 1 out of 9 and then I could have picked them the 1st time, 2nd, 3rd etc...

This method seems to work but I actually have a question regarding the permutation part. It obviously doesn't matter if I pick John 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc...and the same goes for peter. If order doesn't matter, then why do I need to apply the permutation part of this?
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3500

Kudos [?]: 26400 [0], given: 2710

Re: MGMAT Probability [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 01:25
Expert's post
russ9 wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the question but the way I read it, the question states that "what is the probability that jon and peter" will be selected. Correct?

If that's the case, why isn't this method working:

(5c2)/(5c9) - I need to pick J and P from a team of 5 and the number of options for the teams are 5 out of 9 players. Why is that wrong?

Additionally, I tried the direct probability approach and that seemed to work out:

(2/9)(1/8)(5!/2!3!) - This implies that the prob of picking J or P is 2 out of 9, then only J or P is left so 1 out of 9 and then I could have picked them the 1st time, 2nd, 3rd etc...

This method seems to work but I actually have a question regarding the permutation part. It obviously doesn't matter if I pick John 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc...and the same goes for peter. If order doesn't matter, then why do I need to apply the permutation part of this?

About 5C2 in the numerator: are we choosing 2 from 5? No, we want to choose 5 players, including John and Peter, from 9 players.

About the probability approach: though the order of the selection does not matter, John and Peter can be any from the 5 selected. We can have {John, Peter, any, any, any}, {John, any, Peter, any, any}, {John, any, any, Peter, any}, ... Now, each of these cases have equal probabilities to occur: 1/9*1/8*1*1*1 and there can be 5!/3! cases, so the overall probability is 1/9*1/8*1*1*1*5!/3! = 5/18.

A basketball coach will select the members of a five-player team from among 9 players, including John and Peter. If the five players are chosen at random, what is the probability that the coach chooses a team that includes both John and Peter?

A. 1/9
B. 1/6
C. 2/9
D. 5/18
E. 1/3

Total # of five-player teams possible is C^5_9=126;
# of teams that include both John and Peter is C^2_2*C^3_7=35;

P=\frac{35}{126}=\frac{5}{18}.

Answer: D.

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS TOPIC IS HERE: a-basketball-coach-will-select-the-members-of-a-five-player-132143.html

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: MGMAT Probability   [#permalink] 12 May 2014, 01:25