Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 17:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A batch of cookies was divided amomg 3 tins: 2/3 of all the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
A batch of cookies was divided amomg 3 tins: 2/3 of all the [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 06:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:49) correct 50% (01:30) wrong based on 78 sessions
A batch of cookies was divided amomg 3 tins: 2/3 of all the cookies were placed in either the blue or the green tin, and the rest were placed in the red tin. If 1/4 of all the cookies were placed in the blue tin, what fraction of the cookies that were placed in the other tins were placed in the green tin

A. 15/2
B. 9/4
C. 5/9
D. 7/5
E. 9/7
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3487

Kudos [?]: 26158 [1] , given: 2705

Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 07:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
zaarathelab wrote:
A batch of cookies was divided amomg 3 tins: 2/3 of all the cookies were placed in either the blue or the green tin, and the rest were placed in the red tin. If 1/4 of all the cookies were placed in the blue tin, what fraction of the cookies that were placed in the other tins were placed in the green tin

A. 15/2
B. 9/4
C. 5/9
D. 7/5
E. 9/7

# of cookies - X

2/3 of all the cookies were placed in either the blue or the green tin: B+G=\frac{2}{3}*X
The rest were placed in the red tin: R=\frac{1}{3}*X
1/4 of all the cookies were placed in the blue tin: B=\frac{1}{4}*X.

What fraction of the cookies that were placed in the other tins (other then blue, or in Green and Red) were placed in the green tin: \frac{G}{G+R}=?

B+G=\frac{2}{3}*X and B=\frac{1}{4}*X; --> \frac{1}{4}*X+G=\frac{2}{3}*X; --> G=\frac{5}{12}*X.

\frac{G}{G+R}=(\frac{5}{12}*X)/(\frac{5}{12}*X+\frac{1}{3}*X)=\frac{5}{9}

Answer: C (5/9)

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 505 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 07:46
zaarathelab wrote:

A. 15/2
B. 9/4
C. 5/9
D. 7/5
E. 9/7

Not a clear question! How one can infer/imply "other tins" mean "green + red tins"? Is that the massage the question supplying? How "other tins" is not mean "blue + red tins"?

Just to get the idea about the question i..e. how precisely and correctly the quesion is designed? Is it a question unnecessarily designed to be a tough or is it really tough?

For me, its not a standard GMAT level question.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3487

Kudos [?]: 26158 [1] , given: 2705

Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 07:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
GMAT TIGER wrote:
Not a clear question! How one can infer/imply "other tins" mean "green + red tins"? Is that the massage the question supplying? How "other tins" is not mean "blue + red tins"?

Just to get the idea about the question i..e. how precisely and correctly the quesion is designed? Is it a question unnecessarily designed to be a tough or is it really tough?

If 1/4 of all the cookies were placed in the blue tin, what fraction that were placed in the other tins were placed in the green tin?

I think that the question implies that other tins then blue, as previously the stem in the same sentence was describing the fraction in blue tin.

I don't know the source but for me this could be the GMAT question.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 08:17
Quote:

Precisely! This question creates an ambiguity (other tins). I saw this today in the Kaplan 800 book. Its a fairly simple question otherwise. Just to make the question tough, Kaplan has created an ambiguity - which doesnt make any sense!

Bunuel, GMAT tiger, how would you rate the level of problems in the Kaplan 800 book (Quant/verbal)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 11:01
I thought other tins as B+R and got 5/7.

Definitely the wording is ambiguous...

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 505 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 21:45
zaarathelab wrote:
Quote:

Precisely! This question creates an ambiguity (other tins). I saw this today in the Kaplan 800 book. Its a fairly simple question otherwise. Just to make the question tough, Kaplan has created an ambiguity - which doesnt make any sense!

Bunuel, GMAT tiger, how would you rate the level of problems in the Kaplan 800 book (Quant/verbal)

Honestly I do not use Kaplan or PTR materials because the feedback from many forum members is that they do not provide OG level questions. Many Kaplan and PTR questions are flawed and sub-standard. They claim to be leaders in GMAT Prep but they ended up being too far to reality.

For me, retired ETS-GMAT questions, LSAT RC/CR, 1000 questions, Manhattan Gmat books are best.

I guess you can find the feedback on major gmat materials on this forum as well - will post if I find the link.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Manager
Manager
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 06:24
I agree that Kaplan is not a good source of difficult questions. Even the title, Kaplan 800, was changed to Kaplan "Advanced" because they acknowledged the fact that their questions were no where near the difficulty level of 800.

Anywho... Here is how I solved the question.

I think it is easier to just assume that the total number of cookies is "1":

This will help reduce the number of variables you have to deal with:

G + B = 2/3
R = 1/3
B = 1/4

We can solve for G which is 5/12

What fraction (let it equal X) of the cookies that were placed in the other tins were placed in the green tin?

So..

X*(G+R)=G

X*(5/12 + 1/3) = 5/12

X = 5/9

ANSWER: C. 5/9
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 09:49
I think that there is some ambiguity to the question.
Since there were 2/3 and 1/4 in the question, I assumed the total number of cookies to be 12 and worked from there. The answer came out to be 5/7. I am not sure about it coming to be 5/9.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 38

Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 01:05
This post received
KUDOS
Let Total no. of cookies = 12 (LCM(3,4))
Cookies in Blue +Green Tin = (2/3)*12 = 8
Cookies in Red Tin = 12-8 = 4
Cookies in Blue tin = (1/4)*12 = 3
Cookies in Green Tin = 8-3 = 5
Green/other(other than Blue) = 5/(4+5) = 5/9 (C)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 08:50
zaarathelab wrote:

A. 15/2
B. 9/4
C. 5/9
D. 7/5
E. 9/7

Ambigous question we will get G/B+R = 5/7 which is not even the answer choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 12:39
GMAT TIGER wrote:

Honestly I do not use Kaplan or PTR materials because the feedback from many forum members is that they do not provide OG level questions. Many Kaplan and PTR questions are flawed and sub-standard. They claim to be leaders in GMAT Prep but they ended up being too far to reality.

For me, retired ETS-GMAT questions, LSAT RC/CR, 1000 questions, Manhattan Gmat books are best.

I guess you can find the feedback on major gmat materials on this forum as well - will post if I find the link.

Hi GT.... which books do you reckon for Quant. Manhattan Books are good.. but practise questions are too less. I need to practise some good 700 level question to improve and hence I need a good book! I tried checking PR 1012 but the book too many misprints and hence I didnt enjoy it much! Kinda misleads u! Any suggestion you have?

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard, Yale, HEC
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

PS Word Problem Kaplan 600 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 06:01
A batch of cookies was divided among three tins: 2/3 of all the cookies were placed in either the blue tin or the green tin, and the rest were placed in the red tin. If 1/4 of all the cookies were placed in the blue tin, what fraction of the cookies that were placed in the other tins were placed in the green tin?
A) 15/2
B) 9/4
C) 5/9
D) 7/5
E) 9/7

I was frustrated at this question by the way it worded. The OA is C, what the hell.
I got D instead. Please explain. Thanks
Retired Moderator
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 475 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: PS Word Problem Kaplan 600 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 06:07
ezinis wrote:
A batch of cookies was divided among three tins: 2/3 of all the cookies were placed in either the blue tin or the green tin, and the rest were placed in the red tin. If 1/4 of all the cookies were placed in the blue tin, what fraction of the cookies that were placed in the other tins were placed in the green tin?
A) 15/2
B) 9/4
C) 5/9
D) 7/5
E) 9/7

I was frustrated at this question by the way it worded. The OA is C, what the hell.

B + G = 2/3
R = 1 - 2/3 = 1/3
B = 1/4
So G = 2/3 - 1/4 = 5/12
G/(G+R) = G/(1-B) = (5/12)/(3/4) = 5/9

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS Word Problem Kaplan 600 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 13:42
shrouded1 wrote:
ezinis wrote:
A) 15/2
B) 9/4
C) 5/9
D) 7/5
E) 9/7

B + G = 2/3
R = 1 - 2/3 = 1/3
B = 1/4
So G = 2/3 - 1/4 = 5/12
G/(G+R) = G/(1-B) = (5/12)/(3/4) = 5/9

How did u assumed that it has to be G/(G+R) instead of (B+R) ?
Can you please explain ?

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Retired Moderator
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 475 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: PS Word Problem Kaplan 600 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 14:03
onedayill wrote:
Can you please explain ?

The question says 1/4th were placed in the blue tin, what percentage of the ones placed in the other tins ....

So other tins ==> Green + Red

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 18:08
deepkap wrote:
I think that there is some ambiguity to the question.
Since there were 2/3 and 1/4 in the question, I assumed the total number of cookies to be 12 and worked from there. The answer came out to be 5/7. I am not sure about it coming to be 5/9.

You, like me, have computed G/B+R. It is a confusing question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: A batch of cookies [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 18:11
I have been using Kaplan 800. I cant say anything about the entire book yet as i have not completed it. I have completed Sentence Correction , DS and half way through PS.

I can say that the PS algebra and word problems are in the 700-800 range. They have helped me a lot so far. The geometry is below 700.

Sentence Correction is also good.

DS is probably in the low 700-800 range. But i found this book to be more challenging than any other material available so it does help you for that gotcha questions on the exam
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 268

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: PS Word Problem Kaplan 600 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 05:51
shrouded1 wrote:
onedayill wrote:
Can you please explain ?

The question says 1/4th were placed in the blue tin, what percentage of the ones placed in the other tins ....

So other tins ==> Green + Red

Yes, agree with Shrouded1. I mean the question is tricky but there's a slight difference between being tricky and being ambiguous.

In this case, I don't think it is ambiguous to the point that it would not be a valid GMAT question.

So yeah, one needs to read very carefully. And obviously if the answer choice 5/7 doesn't pop out, then there must be something else going on no?

Cheers!
J :)
Re: PS Word Problem Kaplan 600   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2014, 05:51